Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How well do bore snakes clean barrels vs jag and patches?

I’ve  never used the bore snakes but they sure could be handy and quick from what I see.  How well do they clean compared to a jag and patch?  Any Pro’s and cons etc would be appreciated.  

Thanks. 

Edited by minnesota1

Bore snake used at the range after match / practice.  They just get the big "chunks" out since there is only a bristle embedded in the cloth.  The gun is then completely broken down and cleaned at the house.  The detail barrel cleaning is done with a jag wrapped with a patch that has a solvent on it.  Then a brass bristle brush followed by a brass bristle brush wrapped in a patch.  Change patches until it comes out clean and then wrap a new patch in a nylon bristle brush to get the residual solvent fluid out of the barrel.

Yes, it seems intense.  But my barrels have lasted a very long time.  YMMV

BC 

12 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Just out of curiosity, how long?

The open gun in .38 Super was built when the power factor for major was 175.  It had the barrel replaced at just over 140,000 rounds.  That took about 7 years.  The backup open gun was changed from .38 Super to 9mm Major when the PF went to 165 but the barrel & comp were still in good shape.  Sold it to a buddy who is still running it today, over ten years later.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

For action shooting, bore cleanliness is grossly overrated. Ain't nobody got time fo' that.

I clean my match handguns only a couple of times a year, and even then I only use a BoreSnake. I rarely bother with a rod for match handguns anymore. I am a bit more meticulous with safe queens and carry guns, which still get the rod.

The same goes for my match rifles (AR15s) except that I run a short rod with chamber brush into the chamber before pulling the BoreSnake through. I only do a more thorough decoppering clean when I see the accuracy fall off.

I have a BoreSnake for my 12ga shotgun too, but I don't really like it - the built up crud really does need a lot of scrubbing with a brush on a rod.

When I'm out of town for matches I usually pack bore snakes for all three guns. They do an ok job and yes, a spotless bore for action shooting is overrated. It's not a bolt gun with a custom spun barrel. The furthest I've shot so far at a match was just shy of 600. My fouled barrel did just fine with 55gr FMJ at that distance. Just send it. 

The only con for me is getting the pull cord past all the brake baffles lol. You'll see.