Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody use the Inline Fabrication Ultramount for the 1050?

https://inlinefabrication.com/products/ultramount-for-the-dillon-1050?variant=25094267592

If so, what height did you get?  4" or 7".  DId it help with rigidity of your machine?

Like many, I've got mine directly mounted to a wooden bench top with a notch cut for the handle.  If I went to the Inline Fab mount, I could bolt the mount into my Tube Steel frame on my bench.

Really depends on bench height vs your height. I went with dillon mount and adjusted my bench height to it. Ideally It would be taller but the case feeder is 4 inches from ceiling and adding cases would be a pain. So i use an adjustable height chair when loading.

You want to be able to actuate press without moving your body in and out so if the current height you have is just a little low go with the 4

17 hours ago, Chutist said:

https://inlinefabrication.com/products/ultramount-for-the-dillon-1050?variant=25094267592

If so, what height did you get?  4" or 7".  DId it help with rigidity of your machine?

Like many, I've got mine directly mounted to a wooden bench top with a notch cut for the handle.  If I went to the Inline Fab mount, I could bolt the mount into my Tube Steel frame on my bench.

I don't see how mounting a piece of steel to another piece of steel could make the machine any more rigid.  Mine is mounted directly to a 400# drill press table and it is rock solid, with only 3 of the 4 bolts installed.

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I don't see how mounting a piece of steel to another piece of steel could make the machine any more rigid.  Mine is mounted directly to a 400# drill press table and it is rock solid, with only 3 of the 4 bolts installed.

I don't disagree.  A mount was just a way to take the flex in the 2" wooden bench top "out of the loop" by bolting through it into the tube steel frame. I think I'm just going to bolt a plate to the bench top bolted to the frame, then run the bolts for the press through that to stiffen things up a bit. 

All the weight in the case feeder and bullet feeder seem to be amplifying the small amount of flex just enough to tip bullets over as they index from the bullet feeder...sometimes...  It will go 20 and 30 in a row perfect then tips a few.  Seems very sensitive to how smoothly I can operate the handle...

8 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Have you tried to adjust that one screw at the top of the bullet feeder that holds another small piece?  That was the magic adjustment to get mine dropping them correctly 100% of the time.

I don't think so, I'm going to load again on Friday.  I'll check it.  ;)

I use the Dillon mounts on the 550s and 650s, and got the shorter inline mount for the 1050S.  It is as noted more a working height issue that "sturdy" issue, although I think the wider base to bench when using the inline mount vs the base of the Super 1050 makes it more stable. I reload standing and have all the machines on taller commercial benches.

DSC02118.JPG

1050 Super.jpg

Edited by MG08

On 12/1/2020 at 11:15 AM, RangerTrace said:

Every time I’ve seen a Dillon (or other press) mounted on one of these riser mounts being operated on YouTube the top of the press rocks. Sometimes it’s exaggerated by flex in the bench top but even when mounted on a very sturdy bench the sheet steel riser mount flexes. Having a press mounted on a truely rigid bench/mount improves the ‘feel’ of operation of a press plus it may improve powder drop consistency & a few other issues.

The Ultimate Reloader website has a video showing the new Area 419 press which is a huge chunk of beautifully machine metal. The video waxes lyrical about how solid the press is (it really is very solid) yet it was mounted on a Inline Fabrication mount which let it rock every time the handle was pulled - the combination of a press built like a brick out-house mounted on a flexible plate mount was very odd.

2 hours ago, Stuart55 said:

the combination of a press built like a brick out-house mounted on a flexible plate mount was very odd.

I might have missed something, but isn’t the 419 press basically a single stage press? Beautiful machining but why spend $1,200+ for a single stage press?

5 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I might have missed something, but isn’t the 419 press basically a single stage press? Beautiful machining but why spend $1,200+ for a single stage press?

to me it looks like a really, really precise version of a RCBS turret press. Maybe it is for the 6mm bench rest guys.

I have my 1050 mounted directly to a 1.5" thick bench top and I can't see it getting any more rigid than it is. 

39 minutes ago, weeniewawa said:

to me it looks like a really, really precise version of a RCBS turret press.

True, but the RCBS cost $300.00 

I have a 1050 mounted directly to the bench and use an Inline Quick Change (https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system/products/flush-mount-quick-change-system-base-plate) flush mount for my Lee Single Stage and my 550. It's nice to hang them on the wall when not in use:

bench_1024x1024.jpg?v=1472782745

pmb_IMG_6341_1024x1024.jpg?v=1511721589

23 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

True, but the RCBS cost $300.00 

I have a 1050 mounted directly to the bench and use an Inline Quick Change (https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system/products/flush-mount-quick-change-system-base-plate) flush mount for my Lee Single Stage and my 550. It's nice to hang them on the wall when not in use:

bench_1024x1024.jpg?v=1472782745

pmb_IMG_6341_1024x1024.jpg?v=1511721589

exactly, what does this press do for 4 times the price? I am sure it is beautiful and very well made but I will stick with my Lee turret for odd random rounds.  I don't have any reason to remove my 1050 as I don't have anywhere else to put it, my walls are all covered by shelves but that looks well made.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:00 AM, Chutist said:

I don't disagree.  A mount was just a way to take the flex in the 2" wooden bench top "out of the loop" by bolting through it into the tube steel frame. I think I'm just going to bolt a plate to the bench top bolted to the frame, then run the bolts for the press through that to stiffen things up a bit. 

All the weight in the case feeder and bullet feeder seem to be amplifying the small amount of flex just enough to tip bullets over as they index from the bullet feeder...sometimes...  It will go 20 and 30 in a row perfect then tips a few.  Seems very sensitive to how smoothly I can operate the handle...

There are a handful of solutions to help mitigate case wobble on indexing.  If you have it know someone with a 3d printer you can try the anti-wobble pins I modeled. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4618602