Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prize tables & distribution

I am in absolute agreement w/ Brian and Duane.  If we are to have prizes, they should definitely go to the person who performed the best in that match and not be split out among various "classes."   The person who either practiced the most, had the most skill, luck, karma, juju, mojo, whatever should be the one to be rewarded.   Dividing prizes amongst various classes only dilutes the sport.  Are we competitive shooters trying to maximize our performance or just a big social club?  Nothing wrong with being social or giving out prizes but when I shoot it's to be the best that I can.

Besides who actually pumps the most resources into the sport - those that shoot occassionally or those that practice and comptete all the time?  I'll bet that Brian has bought 500 primers/bullets/holsters/parts for every 1 that I ever bought and I'll bet that I've bought 500 primers/bullets/parts for every 1 that a "shoot once every month" shooter has bought.   Rewards at matches should be doled out accordingly.

I absolutely HATE the IDPA prize by draw system (although it was very funny to watch Leatham win a Gunsite Basic Pistol video at the 2001 AZ IDPA championship -  I hope he starts using weaver!).  I would rather have no prizes at all.    

Steel challenge entry fee is $250.  I do like the fact that in IDPA SSP and ESP, there are 5 guns to be given away in each category.  3 to the top 3 and 2 at random.  Rimfire has 12 guns, 6 to the top 3 in optical and iron sights and 6 drawn at random.  At least your odds of walking away empty handed are a little smaller.

The prize distribution at Second Chance had a lot to recommend itself for serious comnpetitive types.  Two classes, Master Blasters and Ordinary Standard Shooters.  If you placed high enough in a category to win something, it was easy.  When your name was called, walk down, plant your feet and haul what you wanted out of the display case.

Did shooter grumble one year when Jerry Miculek won 9 AR's in nine different categories?  (Well, some did) No, we were all envious of how hard he had worked that week and how well he had shot.

Those who "get" competition will shoot a match for a cold Coke or Pepsi as a prize.  Those who don't will whine about coming in second and "only" getting a Rolex.

Our club doesn't give prizes or money.  You win, you get to brag until next month.  Loser buys the Cokes, whiners get shown the door.