Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 round mags in ESP

glocklover

I would like to shoot my Kimber single stack 40 s&w in ESP. However, no matter what I seem to do I can not get 10 round magazines to work in my gun. The 10th round always nose dives. If I load the magazines to 9 I never have a problem. I have tried everything. So, for argument sake let's rule out that 10 round mags. I have 9 round only mags that I can use and leave the 10 round mag at home. So, I looked at the rule book I don't think I would be breaking the rules. Shooting 9 round mags in ESP. Rule 8.1.3 states A. If a magazine is used that holds less than division capacity, the shooter will load all magazines to the capacity of the lowest magazine throughout the match. If I only use my 9 round magazines I should be fine? I realize at times I may be at a disadvantage, if there was a stage that was 11 rounds. I would have to do a reload and someone else would not. 

Once upon a time, it was commonly said that a 9 round magazine (gun loaded 9+1) was advantageous because it would let you double tap five targets and reload on the transition to the next.  I guess people saying that had MDs with little imagination and no steel.  

But yes, you are in compliance.  Take at least one 9 round magazine and load even the 10s with 9.

I have some shop made 9 round .45 magazines that fit The Box and put me in your same position.  

10 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Once upon a time, it was commonly said that a 9 round magazine (gun loaded 9+1) was advantageous because it would let you double tap five targets and reload on the transition to the next.  I guess people saying that had MDs with little imagination and no steel.  

But yes, you are in compliance.  Take at least one 9 round magazine and load even the 10s with 9.

I have some shop made 9 round .45 magazines that fit The Box and put me in your same position.  

Thanks.

1 hour ago, glocklover said:

I would like to shoot my Kimber single stack 40 s&w in ESP. However, no matter what I seem to do I can not get 10 round magazines to work in my gun. The 10th round always nose dives. If I load the magazines to 9 I never have a problem. I have tried everything. So, for argument sake let's rule out that 10 round mags. I have 9 round only mags that I can use and leave the 10 round mag at home. So, I looked at the rule book I don't think I would be breaking the rules. Shooting 9 round mags in ESP. Rule 8.1.3 states A. If a magazine is used that holds less than division capacity, the shooter will load all magazines to the capacity of the lowest magazine throughout the match. If I only use my 9 round magazines I should be fine? I realize at times I may be at a disadvantage, if there was a stage that was 11 rounds. I would have to do a reload and someone else would not. 

I had the exact same issue with an STI Hextac.  The mags aren't numbered, so just load them to 9 and if they ask, they are 9 round mags.

On 11/28/2020 at 4:12 PM, glocklover said:

Rule 8.1.3 states A. If a magazine is used that holds less than division capacity, the shooter will load all magazines to the capacity of the lowest magazine throughout the match.

Bro, I'm not sure how that rule could be more clear.

What is it about IDPA that makes people question their understand of rules that are crystal clear?

Edited by SGT_Schultz

2 hours ago, Zincwarrior said:

Just an operational note.  If shooting ESP you might inform the So the first time you are shooting. While legal, it is unusual and the SO may think something is wrong or might annoy you that you forgot to load your mags to 10.

👍I'm sure there will be a lot discussion the first few times. That's why I wanted to be sure about the rules.