Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giraud tri way inconsistent

Rogue13

On 11/27/2020 at 5:08 PM, Rogue13 said:

Just got a tri way trimmer and having inconsistent OAL's...variance of .010-.015....all 223 brass was sized on my dillon 550 and gauged afterwards...any help would be appreciated...Thanks 

What rpm are you spinning it? Are the ones that are to short making contact with the cutter? I rock the brass around in there a bit and all of mine are within 002

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 5:08 PM, Rogue13 said:

Just got a tri way trimmer and having inconsistent OAL's...variance of .010-.015....all 223 brass was sized on my dillon 550 and gauged afterwards...any help would be appreciated...Thanks 

I get extremely inconsistent lengths also. But I use this mostly for plinking ammo and SHTF ammo. Does the job and will hold MOA at 100-200 yards with a 55g bullet. Gotta widen your level of acceptability when using something like this. You’re introducing a lot of human error to the process. 

• 2 months later...

Same case brand/year, or random cases?  That has an effect on the results because of alloy and neck thickness not being consistent among manufacturers.  I rotate the case while pressing into the trimmer, then every so often run a q-tip through the case holder to clean off any debris or layer of schmutz that accumulated.  I get pretty consistent results.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of the table-top Giraud units, which I use in several calibers, and I got such variations until I added a twist to the case, before withdrawing it.  I would suggest calling Mr. Giraud and talking to him about the issue you are having.  All the issues I had with the table-top trimmer, he was aware of and told me how to deal with them.  

• 1 month later...

The old non uniform trim length, it doesn't matter accuracy wise.  I have used my Giraud for 10 years, it indexes off the shoulder, so consistent trim lengths are achieved by consistent bumping of the shoulder, I set my trim length .010 from end of chamber, my 308 trim length is 2.025, 223/556 is 1.765, stop worrying about trim length, its not what causing your misses.