Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alum + Polymer Recoil Buffer sandwich

I’ve read here and there on shooters using both buffers. I assume the purpose is to deaden the impact even more, but doing so also shortens the stroke so much the slide won’t lock back. Can someone that uses this setup explain the benefits? Does the shorter stroke also affect cycling? I imagine FTE might happen more.

thanks

16 minutes ago, shred said:

I use extra-soft buffers, so the alumabuff keeps them from being chewed up.

Dawson OG Stroker open gun, so no issues with slide lock or extraction; both work great.

When using the shok buff and aluminum buffs I can't even rack my slide back far enough to lock it with both on. What extra-soft buffer are you using? How thick is your buffer setup? thanks man

14 hours ago, shred said:

I use extra-soft buffers, so the alumabuff keeps them from being chewed up.

Dawson OG Stroker open gun, so no issues with slide lock or extraction; both work great.

Shred told me about this years ago and it worked great on my 6" SV.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:39 AM, MuayThaiJJ said:

When using the shok buff and aluminum buffs I can't even rack my slide back far enough to lock it with both on. What extra-soft buffer are you using? How thick is your buffer setup? thanks man

My pistols are stroked.  That makes a big difference in stacking buffers.  You can find lots of talk here about stroking pros and cons, but Dawson pioneered it and he did it to allow more time for the mag to feed and also allow buffers without hurting reliability.

I am using one .040 thick Wonder buff from Sprinco which is an ultra hard material that lasts thousands of rounds. It is like metal to metal contact which makes my gun very stable with no dot wiggle. However Sprinco no longer makes them but the alternative in my case would one Aluma buff.

I don't use buffers of any kind and neither the bottom lugs or the vertical impact surface are battered or marked in any way.  If you are using the correct recoil spring, you don't need a buffer.

M, you are already having ejection problems with your factory ammo.  Why compound that by short stroking?  It makes no sense.  You don't have enough recoil to get the slide to go back far enough to eject without stovepipes, so you cannot be battering anything.  You don't need a buffer.  Honestly, you are your own worst enemy.  You shoot factory ammo through guns with efficient comps and you are short stroking.  And you wonder why you have ejection problems??????????

No well-built pistol should 'need' buffers as long as the springs are sane.  I use them to change how the dot or sights react.  The slide stopping on the frame causes most of the dot movement in an Open gun.

19 minutes ago, shred said:

No well-built pistol should 'need' buffers as long as the springs are sane.  I use them to change how the dot or sights react.  The slide stopping on the frame causes most of the dot movement in an Open gun.

Do you get spring stacking, or do you trim the spring?

46 minutes ago, zzt said:

Do you get spring stacking, or do you trim the spring?

With my guns usually nothing needs to be done with light poundage springs.    It's an easy check whenever a new spring gets installed. 

Depending on the recoil system setup you have and slide length it may be more of an issue.  My Dawson Open guns have short slides but long recoil systems.

8 minutes ago, shred said:

With my guns usually nothing needs to be done with light poundage springs.    It's an easy check whenever a new spring gets installed. 

Depending on the recoil system setup you have and slide length it may be more of an issue.  My Dawson Open guns have short slides but long recoil systems.

Mine are 5" Open guns with 7 and 8 lb. recoil springs respectively.  I just popped a buffer in and checked.  No spring bind.  I'll go to the range tomorrow to see if dot bounce is reduced by any noticeable amount.  If it is I owe you for the tip.  It will also be interesting to see whether I have to retune the gun with a lighter or heavier spring.

I use shok buffs all the time on my 1911's. I tried aluminum ones, and poly. The aluminum ones, tend to peen flat rather quickley, and expand upwards, and rub on the underside of the barrel. Not good for reliability. Plus they cost more. I quit using them. I just use Buffer Technologies, poly buffs now. They hold up well, and I inspect them every time the gun is cleaned, and change out as required.

I never had any issues with failure to lock back the slide, but with certain slidestops, and slide geometry, there is not enough rearward travel left, to disengage the slidestop, to slingshot the slide, due to the shok buff.

Edited by GBertolet
1 hour ago, echotango said:

Some of us add 2 or 3 to short stroke.  The gun/dot reacts completely different when do so. Some like it, some don't. 

Well, I tried one based on Shred's recommendation and did not like it at all.  I'll experiment again today with different weight recoil springs.  Maybe that will make a difference.