Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 9mm dies, is this a joke?

2 hours ago, nxfedlt1 said:

I think there is another set at almost 300. Or there was this afternoon. 

But I watched 10k spp go for almost 5k on gb this week. 

Really???

I clearly need to sell some stuff if so!!!

3 hours ago, nxfedlt1 said:

I think there is another set at almost 300. Or there was this afternoon. 

But I watched 10k spp go for almost 5k on gb this week. 

That has got to be some scalper-trolling going on, probably just people just bidding it up for s#!ts and giggles without any intention of actually paying if I had to guess. There are plenty of SPP available at the $150-$300 per 1K price range, can't imagine anyone is actually paying $500 per 1K (yet.... LOL!).

Edited by kamber

12 hours ago, kamber said:

That has got to be some scalper-trolling going on, probably just people just bidding it up for s#!ts and giggles without any intention of actually paying if I had to guess. There are plenty of SPP available at the $150-$300 per 1K price range, can't imagine anyone is actually paying $500 per 1K (yet.... LOL!).

Wait, people are paying $150-300 for 1k primers??

• 2 weeks later...

lunacy. pure lunacy is why they are paying so much. There is a shortage so people then go out and buy more to insure they don't run out. But they never would have consumed enough to run out anyways. But with so much demand it just self-perpetuates and continues the shortage. 

I haggled over a difference of $5 with a guy on a used set of Dillon "new style" dies this May.  I think he wanted $50.  Ultimately I passed.  This was on ar15 forums.  I hadn't paid over $40 for any of the, probably six, sets I already have in other pistol calibers.

I looked at ebay to see if any were available a few weeks ago and was shocked.  I figured I'll keep using my "old style" dies for 9mm.  It's not like I have an endless supply of small primers anyhow.

It's a great time to sell off stuff you aren't using.  Oddball ammo, projectiles, powders, reloading gear, brass, etc.  I've gone to my gun/reloading bench several times this summer and "gotten realistic" about stuff I'll ever/never use.  I feel another few rounds of purge coming on.

Edited by johnmyster

I can only imagine how much reloading equipment will be for sale in 18-24 months. Dillon 1050s are going for almost 4k.  4k! I mean if you didn't have the press, you think I believe you had the primers before this? Maybe that's who is paying 400/k. 

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Thinking of selling my primers to buy a new car.😂

Good idea!  I need something for my 15yo to drive.... If I sold off my primers and factory 9mm ammo, I could get her something nice! LOL!!! 🤣

It just seems like it'll keep going up a bit until the bubble bursts. That may be in 2 months or may be in well over a year.

I gave in to making a few bucks myself. I just bought myself an XL 750 around Black Friday and hadn't gotten around to even opening it yet.  Last week I was talking to a guy at my range about getting it going and another guy overhears and on the spot offers me $1100 cash for it. I figured I can wait a bit for another one if he wants to pay me that much, so I sold it to him. Found another next day for regular retail that should be here next week. I do have to say it was very nice of that guy to reduce my cost on one by so much. 

Many many months ago I had bought 1k of Fed 215 when I use 215M. It's just been sitting unused as my stock of 215M is good. If primers are getting up to $280 I may have to sell those 215s. 

The scary thing about the Gunbroker primer sales is that I'm sure at least half of the sellers are not Hazmat shipping certified and are not declaring the shipments correctly. I worry that is a recipie for a accident. Sure hope that doesn't happen.