Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning +6 Base Pad - Question

anonymouscuban

Hey all.

Setting up an X5 Legion for CO. I have the 17 round Sig mags. I ordered the Henning +6 Base Pads from Stoegers pro shop. However, I am now seeing on the Henning site that new follower and springs are recommended. No mention of this on the Stoeger Pro Shop.

Do I need these or will they work with the stock spring and follower?

I'm not gonna say you MUST get new springs and followers but I can't attest to the capacity or reliability of the stock stuff. However I can tell you what the benefits of getting new ones will be. Grams followers and springs are reduced power (less coils) to allow for more bullets to fit in the tube. The follower is also reduced thickness, which most of the time is what you need to get an extra +1 

49 minutes ago, a_whole_lot_of_freedom said:

I'm not gonna say you MUST get new springs and followers but I can't attest to the capacity or reliability of the stock stuff. However I can tell you what the benefits of getting new ones will be. Grams followers and springs are reduced power (less coils) to allow for more bullets to fit in the tube. The follower is also reduced thickness, which most of the time is what you need to get an extra +1 

Got it. Not against getting them. Just wanted to make sure before I ordered. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered directly from HenningShop.com and got the new Grams followers and springs - flawless so far in my 17 +6 base pads. Just got them earlier this week though and only been through one USPSA match (about 100 rounds over the three mags). 

Grams kits are not specifically required in conjunction with Henning/TTI/Spring basepads. However, the big advantage y9ou get with the Grams kits is his thinner follower that allows you to get an extra round in the mag. His spring is required to go with his follower. Only you can decide whether spending $20ish (per mag) is worth the extra round.

1 hour ago, ClangClang said:

his thinner follower that allows you to get an extra round in the mag. His spring is required to go with his follower.

If the rest of you haven’t seen the Grams stuff in person... his Glock/Sig/Walther stuff attaches the spring to the follwer in the same style most 2011 mags use.

So neither his spring nor his follower will work with factory stuff in any production or CO gun. You have to use both.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. I ran the Henning +6 base pads on the Sig 17 round mags with the stock springs and followers. I had no issues with feeding or any other issues. Albeit, only ran maybe about 400 rounds so I don't really know for sure how reliable. Could only load 22 rounds with this setup.

I have since switched to the grams springs and followers. Again, no issues with feeding, etc over 2 range sessions. About 650 rounds. Can load them up with 23 rounds. Although, that 23 round is a little tough to get in and also needs a little nudge to chamber.

12 hours ago, hitman said:

Has anyone put this combo in a gauge to see if its legal?

Absolutely. The easy off feature of the Henning is quite superior to both Springer (tool required and low quality screw included that will cross thread if you breathe heavy) and the TTI version. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey fellas, rather than start a new post decided to ask here. 

The mags are not reliably feeding the first round when I have them loaded to 23. Again, running the Henning +6 on the 17 round factory mags that came with my X5 Legion. Also running the grams spring and follower kit. 

The 23rd round is tight to get in. The problem is when I have a round chambered and 23 in the mag. Not always but it does happen. I'm running the 12 lb recoil spring that came with the Legion. I don't necessarily want to change to a heavier recoil spring since the gun is running well with my loads. I don't even know if that will help. I also don't think it's an issue with my ammo. The OAL is well within max at 1.10 and I don't have any issues chambering other than this specific use case. 

Is there anything you can suggest to help with this issue or is this a known problem and I just have to run 22 rounds? 

On 1/12/2021 at 1:09 PM, anonymouscuban said:

Hey fellas, rather than start a new post decided to ask here. 

The mags are not reliably feeding the first round when I have them loaded to 23. Again, running the Henning +6 on the 17 round factory mags that came with my X5 Legion. Also running the grams spring and follower kit. 

The 23rd round is tight to get in. The problem is when I have a round chambered and 23 in the mag. Not always but it does happen. I'm running the 12 lb recoil spring that came with the Legion. I don't necessarily want to change to a heavier recoil spring since the gun is running well with my loads. I don't even know if that will help. I also don't think it's an issue with my ammo. The OAL is well within max at 1.10 and I don't have any issues chambering other than this specific use case. 

Is there anything you can suggest to help with this issue or is this a known problem and I just have to run 22 rounds? 

Try loading them with the 23 and letting them sit.  Can help with compressing the spring some.