Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much do you think the ammo and primer shortgage will affect uspsa in the long term

Sandbagger123

First things cant be hurting to much I just watched the Iowa section match sell out in less then 24 hours for a September match date and my section match opened 4 hours ago and is way over half sold out.  So people think they will have ammo to keep shooting.

Second my club is looking to lower total average round count for this year we are going to aim for 100 rounds for a 5 stage match vs 125-140.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, rustychev said:

First things cant be hurting to much I just watched the Iowa section match sell out in less then 24 hours for a September match date and my section match opened 4 hours ago and is way over half sold out.  So people think they will have ammo to keep shooting.

Second my club is looking to lower total average round count for this year we are going to aim for 100 rounds for a 5 stage match vs 125-140.

It’s possible people are signing up and hoping they’ll be able to get components or ammo. Much easier to drop out than it is to try to get into a full match later. 

People who like going to bigger matches may sign up for whatever is offered not being sure if some of their usual matches will be held this year.

Reducing round count could be helped by replacing one regular stage with a second classifier.

Some monthly matches have been having lower attendance. It could get worse in months to come as more people run out of ammo or components. 

47 minutes ago, Sarge said:

It’s possible people are signing up and hoping they’ll be able to get components or ammo. Much easier to drop out than it is to try to get into a full match later. 

Truth

On 1/2/2021 at 12:12 PM, Sarge said:

or possible that people are saving their ammo for the big matches.

or possible that people will just suck it up and pay 10 cents each for primers to shoot big matches. Primers are readily available if you want to pay 10 cents each. I don't (yet), but if I had to, it wouldn't really move the needle on the expense total for nationals or steel worlds.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:46 PM, MHicks said:

Reducing round count could be helped by replacing one regular stage with a second classifier.

bad idea. most classifiers are dumb and boring, and some of them take 20-24 rounds anyway. how about just making real stages with slightly fewer rounds? As the new 2020 classifiers show, you can have a very interesting stage with just 12 rounds.

I have found that lack of ammo is already hurting our local match participation. I think it's going to have a negative effect long term because people are going to cut back somewhat if not entirely on shooting, find another hobby, and just never come back.

Lowering a round count on stages is an awesome idea and there are many ways you can make 18-22 rd stage very fun and challenging. Multiple position, several different ways to shoot the stage, making 2-3 targets per position instead of 4-6 right next to each other. It all comes down to a good stage design. In my neck of the woods squads are limited to 5 people and several clubs adopted AM / PM schedule with 6 fast and easy to reset stages that can be all shot in under 3 hours. It worked AWESOME and still allows 60 peeps to come and shoot the match.

In my area there is USPSA Match pretty much every Sunday in 4 different clubs and in Pre Covid days almost every local Sunday match was 100+ participants.