Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2021 Nationals Single Stack

PK1911

generally there are tons of spaces available for open registration. this year I would be surprised if the match fills up entirely. Just to be on the safe side tho, I would register as soon as open registration opens.

your section may also get a slot or two to give out, and in my section there is generally not a lot of fervor expended to try to get one. Check with your section or area coordinator for more info on those slots.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:40 PM, PK1911 said:

how difficult is it to get a slot to shoot in the 2021 Nationals Single Stack? are there many slots available for open registration?

Username checks out.

Work on asking your section coordinator or club match director for a slot, register on open registrations, or just show up for the match. You'll be able to shoot for sure but might not be able to choose your squad or schedule. People always drop out or don't show up so there will be open spots.

Might be a little harder in 2021 since it's combined with Production (and L10 and Revo) rather than a stand-alone, but you should still be able to get a slot if you jump on open registration or get one from a Section.

Previously like everyone above said, it's been super-easy to get in.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a slot from my section and it will be my first ever nationals any thoughts on am/pm/am vs pm/am/pm  I tend to be a morning person so my thoughts are the am option and that is where Im at now but looking for input form others.  In the past I have shot any level 3 I could in a one day format Area 3 I always go with the Friday only slots vs the sat/sunday.

1 hour ago, rustychev said:

I got a slot from my section and it will be my first ever nationals any thoughts on am/pm/am vs pm/am/pm  I tend to be a morning person so my thoughts are the am option and that is where Im at now but looking for input form others.  In the past I have shot any level 3 I could in a one day format Area 3 I always go with the Friday only slots vs the sat/sunday.

Think about meals and when you will be eating. Think about if you want to walk stages or observe and how that will be affected by your schedule. As an RO I find the AM squads tend to be more focused and so are the ROs. PM tends to drag and is more distracting due to more people on the range as well as due to fatigue. Lots of people can't sleep in on match day so they wake up early and get sleepy in the afternoon.

Not really related to scheduling, but try to get on a good squad. This can be tough to gage unless you know a lot of people but a squad with really good energy will help you shoot your best. This doesn't mean the best shooters, necessarily. A highly motivated and efficient squad regardless of their skill level is worth a lot in terms of your match experience. As an example, Mason Lane's squad from Race Gun Nationals this year wasn't the super squad but they were a great squad. No drama, at least that I could see. You could tell it helped his performance.

I personally would squad with friends and do AM/PM/AM. Also make sure you get there the day before to watch the staff match and walk stages as well as get the lay of the land. Little things like where to park, where to toilets are, what the layout of the range is, etc. all add up and will help you to become more comfortable and have a better match.

Also depends on the range and weather. Frostproof has it's own issues that won't apply, but maybe there are some others that do.

The other thing is if you want to watch the super squads for some reason, pick an opposite schedule from them.

• 1 month later...

I did pm/am/pm two years ago for L10. Worked out awesome. Got done shooting and had enough time to go shower and change then head to the banquet. If I'd had more time I would have probably taken a nap and missed the banquet. But with the covid stuff who knows really.