Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavier bullets always better?

lroy

From what I've read, the advantage lighter bullets have is the slide cycles faster.

I've been watching a lot of slomo footage of shooters that win titles. (From Footage they provide. Clear shots of the gun in recoil.)

None of them reset the trigger before the slide returns.

It seems like it just cycles too fast, regardless of the bullet/powder combo. In any slomo footage I've watched of doubles, I have yet to see someone waiting on the slide to return to fire again.

I'm getting the impression that even a heavy projectile with less powder would still easily cycle slide faster than anyone could fire again. 

Running low and about to place my next order. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Edited by lroy

Heavy vs light is dependent on what feels best and times out best for YOU.

I like a fast cycling gun and the snap that lifts up the slide also snaps it back down for me.

Others say they can watch the sights all through the cycle with a slow heavy bullet.

There is only what works best for you.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:25 AM, lroy said:

From what I've read, the advantage lighter bullets have is the slide cycles faster.

I've been watching a lot of slomo footage of shooters that win titles. (From Footage they provide. Clear shots of the gun in recoil.)

None of them reset the trigger before the slide returns.

It seems like it just cycles too fast, regardless of the bullet/powder combo. In any slomo footage I've watched of doubles, I have yet to see someone waiting on the slide to return to fire again.

I'm getting the impression that even a heavy projectile with less powder would still easily cycle slide faster than anyone could fire again. 

Running low and about to place my next order. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

First what is your current load? Next what do you won't it to do ? Does it have to much recoil? Are your double taps more than two inches apart at speed?

The matches that you shoot do they have lots of steel or paper? In 9mm the 135 weight was created for people who liked the softer recoil but needed more

reliable "knock down power" on steel.

1 hour ago, AHI said:

? In 9mm the 135 weight was created for people who liked the softer recoil but needed more

reliable "knock down power" on steel.

IIRC the 135's were first used by people shooting 38 Super and it migrated down to the 9mm.

For years there wasn't much, if any, load data for 9mm.

Jeff Maass site

http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl38sup.pdf

http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl40sw.pdf

http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl9x21.pdf

yes I stated it wrong . The use of 135s give people who  wanted more reliable knock down on steel over a 115 with the softer recoil of a 147

but slightly faster slide speed . or do you need it stated differently.

Edited by AHI

It depends on the gun and division

heavier bullets feel more like a push

Lighter more snappy, faster cycling

i used to run 147s in production then 1 match I ran out of my match ammo, so I grabbed what I had, 115 factory ball, 124 and 147 jhp and what little of my match ammo I had and shot the match. Some mags had 115 some with 147 and a couple with all 3

and what I noticed was I didn’t notice any difference while shooting the stage

i was too busy watching my sights and executing my stage plan

I also have a 6” 40 with a lighten slide and I run 165’s, anything heavier and the gun cycles too slow, I feel like a could smoke a cigarette between shots 

58 minutes ago, AHI said:

yes I stated it wrong . The use of 135s give people who  wanted more reliable knock down on steel over a 115 with the softer recoil of a 147

but slightly faster slide speed . or do you need it stated differently.

We good!

1 hour ago, rishii said:

It depends on the gun and division

heavier bullets feel more like a push

Lighter more snappy, faster cycling

i used to run 147s in production then 1 match I ran out of my match ammo, so I grabbed what I had, 115 factory ball, 124 and 147 jhp and what little of my match ammo I had and shot the match. Some mags had 115 some with 147 and a couple with all 3

and what I noticed was I didn’t notice any difference while shooting the stage

i was too busy watching my sights and executing my stage plan

I also have a 6” 40 with a lighten slide and I run 165’s, anything heavier and the gun cycles too slow, I feel like a could smoke a cigarette between shots 

Not noticing a difference during the stage is the most likely scenario. Too much else going on.

I would be very curious, when recording your gun in slomo, if you're  actually beating the slide return. I have never seen anyone beat the side return, even with slower projectiles.

On a 1911 you can’t fire the gun until the slide is back in battery

With my 6” limited gun with heavier bullets, I’m waiting for the gun to cycle to fire the second shot

but I’m also primarily a open shooter where the gun does cycle quick

ive fired .10-.12 splits on occasion 

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2020 at 1:28 AM, RePete said:

Until you go to a match where the steel is hard set and the 115's won't knock them down.

Yea then speed them up to power factor stop shooting sub minor loads. 125 power. Factor is the same for knocking steel down rather you get there with a 115 grain bullet or a 147. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've tries 124/5, 135, 147 and 150gn 9mm for minor. My current favorite is 135gn. PF is 128-130 depending weather. I shoot in MI and all the way down to Florida. The 147 seems to make the gun feel sluggish. 124 was good but once I tried 135 I loved them. Little bit of snap but still soft.