Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you guys stop oil from leaking?

StealthyBlagga

I like to keep bottles of oil in my range bags. Unfortunately, pretty much every bottle I have tried eventually ooozes some oil out and it makes a mess. I've tried double-bagging the bottles in poly ziploc bags to no avail. Does anyone have a good solution?

7 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

I like to keep bottles of oil in my range bags. Unfortunately, pretty much every bottle I have tried eventually ooozes some oil out and it makes a mess. I've tried double-bagging the bottles in poly ziploc bags to no avail. Does anyone have a good solution?

I've found two that work perfectly.  The Weaponshield pen and Lucas Extreme Gun Oil has a little 2 ounce bottle with a needle applicator.  Neither of those ever leak.

Well I still have several of the small bottles of Brownell's gun oil that used to be given away at pretty much every major match I shot.. Keep them in my bag with just a screw on lid. Never had an issue.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:23 AM, ChuckS said:

unscrew the cap and put a piece of plastic wrap over the opening and tighten the cap. I have used it for air travel for years. 😉 

^^^This. It works.

(*Former Delta Gold Medallion for several years.)

Pen oilers (decent ones) with the screw cap & O-rings.  Pen oilers inside a snack bag, inside a small gasketed tackle style box, stowed upright in range bag.  

Works best with 5W-20W.  30W works too, just takes more patience.     

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 of these that work well.  I emptied out the CLP (into my larger CLP bottle, I use CLP to clean, but not to oil) and then filled them with Wilson Ultra Lube and Ultra Lube Lite.  Zero leaking issues. 

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/break-free-clp-precision-shooter-gun-oil

These go inside a Tenba Cable Duo 4 with the rest of my range tools, springs etc.

https://mpex.com/tenba-cable-duo-4-cable-pouch.html

That particular case fits perfectly in the front pouch on a DAA medium range backpack.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:36 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

I ordered extra heavy duty Ziploc bags from Amazon that do this job for me.  Order 6 or 8 mil and look for a double closure.  The exact ones I ordered are no longer available but many others are.  I also leave a small (3"x 5") microfiber towel in the bag to give me something to wipe with.  

Good luck!