Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from striker to DA/SA. Tips???

fireman1776

I shoot DA/SA guns almost exclusively. I have tried going to striker fired guns several times and always end up back with the Sig, CZ, or Sphinx pistols. The DA pull did take some training, as I used to always pull it low and left when going off the timer.

Dry fire training is incredibly helpful, provided the techniques are then applied to live fire practice.

And the advantage, that short, sweet SA reset and pull, is worth every bit of the training!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Think of the DA pull as a 10% skill. Honestly, you will be shooting much more single action than double. Definitely need to practice it using the drill s listed, but so many shooters see me show up shooting CZ or Sphinx guns and freak out about how slow the DA pull will be. Can't tell you how many times I have switched to striker pistols only to go back. I've just stopped listening to the advice about "striker guns are so much better..."

A solid full metal frame gun with a smooth DA/SA trigger was my first love growing up on Sig P226/P228 guns.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:50 AM, Packageman said:

Find the breaking point on the trigger for DA prep the trigger to the breaking point then squeeze the trigger.

Worst advice ever.  Straight pull through as fast as possible without stopping anywhere along the way is THE way.

If the sights move when you do that, your grip sucks.

• 1 month later...

When I went from Glocks to CZ for production, I had a few hiccups with stages where the first shot is steel or a tight paper engagement at 15 yards and further.  I understood the techniques previously mentioned but didnt apply them in real life situations.  I took an 8 inch round steel plate, and head shot USPSA at 20 yards and drilled double action ad naseum.  It was part comfort and part confidence but after blowing through many rounds (ah the old days where primers were less than 3 cents per) no more issues.  Lastly, try different techniques - dont take anything said on this forum as gospel - different tehcniques work better for different shooters.

Edited by rpm8300