Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black Mamba feed issues...

mpmo

Feed issues - Black Mamba

Got a new Mamba a couple months ago.  I probably have 400rds through it.  Stock except has a RTS2 optic on it.  Using the 2 Volquartsen mags that came with it and 4 standard Ruger Mark IV mags bought new.

Ran it for 100rds before cleaning, did a take down, clean and oiled.  Using Wilson Ultra lube 2 standard (not lite.) Typically run a bore snake a few times through it after every session and wipe it down.  Gun ran flawlessly with CCI standard, mini mag hp and 40gn target and Rem thunderbolt.

Had no feed issues before or after until a Steel Challenge match this past weekend.  Had several failure to feeds, many happening around round 3 on a fully loaded mag.  Click, no round in the chamber, no round or brass stovepiped etc.  I believe it happened with both types of magazines.  Using CCI mini mag target 40gn.  

Before I tear down and TUNE the mags, just wanted to check to make sure that is the absolute next step given that is was running flawlessly.

1.How often does the gun need to be cleaned and lubed?  Had these issues after gun had not been cleaned for maybe 3 sessions, total 300 rds.  How often do the mags need to be cleaned?  They are all new, but have not been cleaned.  Should I try a different oil? Which one?  Wondering if the slide was not fully cycling.

2.All previous sessions were run indoors.  This match was outdoors with 42F deg. Cold and raining.  Should I try a different oil?  Should I clean and relube before any cold sessions?

3.Any other factors I should consider or steps I should take?

2 hours ago, mpmo said:

Feed issues - Black Mamba

1.How often does the gun need to be cleaned and lubed?  Had these issues after gun had not been cleaned for maybe 3 sessions, total 300 rds.  How often do the mags need to be cleaned?  They are all new, but have not been cleaned.  Should I try a different oil? Which one?  Wondering if the slide was not fully cycling.

2.All previous sessions were run indoors.  This match was outdoors with 42F deg. Cold and raining.  Should I try a different oil?  Should I clean and relube before any cold sessions?

3.Any other factors I should consider or steps I should take?

I clean my Mamba after every shooting session and especially after a Steel Challenge Match.  I find cleaning the breach face to be extremely important. If I don't clean it I will get failure to feeds.

My mags have only been cleaned once.  I'm very careful and do not let them hit the ground.  I put them in my sonic cleaner with One-Shot and then dried them off.  Really no problems since.

I use Lucas Oil.  Mostly because it was given to me at just about every major match.  It's a good oil but I've had guys give me RemOil at a match when I had jams and they would go away.

I can't help you with #2.  I don't shoot in 42 degrees or when it's raining.  I'm too old and know better.

Get the Volquartsen PULVERIZER to clean your compensator.  It works wonders and only takes a few minutes.  It's the best method I've used to get the lead out.

Have fun.  I was running over 50K rounds without a jam out of my Mamba.  I'm having issues right now but I'll figure them out.  I swapped frames and have the wrong magazine release in one of them and that needs to be changed for the Mamba to work.

Good Luck and good shooting to you

_DSC9727.jpg

I have Volquortsen Bolt in my Ruger MKIV 22/45 lite  that runs 99.9% (always leave a little room for bad ammo). Run the same ammo as you including Geco. I swapped all my mag springs out when I started having feeding issues for the green TK mag springs & have stopped all issues. No tuning or messing with the mags other than they are all Genuine Ruger mags.

Part Number:TK05N0299GRN1

gerritm

Thanks for all the feedback!  Going to replace a few parts on the mags, follower, spring, button and base pad.  I will also be checking for any burrs.  And Ima buy one of those small ceramic pocket heaters to keep the mags and ammo warm.  This might help getting my Steel Challenge rounds (which shoot fine indoors, but fail in cold weather) to work as well!  Also going to try some lighter oil.

Thanks again!

Edited by mpmo

• 2 weeks later...

Tested yesterday.

Indoor range

Let ammo, mags, gun sit in 32degree weather for 4 hours prior.

Gun fully cleaned, lubed with my standard Wilson Ultra Lube.  (I purchased the Lite version while I was at the range, which I will be using during the winter.)

Ran 10 rounds mini mag target through each mag as fast as I could shoot.

No issues!

Thanks for the help team!

• 1 year later...

After shooting over 25K rounds in pistol matches over the last 6 years using a ruger mk II and last couple of years a black mamba,  a couple of issues that need to be addressed is 1) wax buildup in the magazine, feed ramp, bolt and combustion chamber, -- the colder the gun and bullet the greater the impact of the wax,  it will keep the bullets from rinsing in the magazine  and keep the bolt from closing all the way. 2) cleaning of the bolt spring and firing pin channel every 300 to 500 rounds- oil is not required for the ruger to function, and I use 1/2 drop on the bolt spring only. the barrel never needs cleaning , the chamber needs the wax and residue cleaned out every 300 rds or so.  Oil can be used  on the bolt but it will require the gun to be cleaned every 100 rounds or so, no oil and you are good for 300 rds or more. Additionally , if the bolt and firing pin are oiled the gun will not fire in cold weather due to the high viscosity of the oil. The black mamba anodized bolt should not be oiled, got over 10K rds on the gun without any oil on the bolt, only the bolt spring.

6 hours ago, burningbullets said:

After shooting over 25K rounds in pistol matches over the last 6 years using a ruger mk II and last couple of years a black mamba,  a couple of issues that need to be addressed is 1) wax buildup in the magazine, feed ramp, bolt and combustion chamber, -- the colder the gun and bullet the greater the impact of the wax,  it will keep the bullets from rinsing in the magazine  and keep the bolt from closing all the way. 2) cleaning of the bolt spring and firing pin channel every 300 to 500 rounds- oil is not required for the ruger to function, and I use 1/2 drop on the bolt spring only. the barrel never needs cleaning , the chamber needs the wax and residue cleaned out every 300 rds or so.  Oil can be used  on the bolt but it will require the gun to be cleaned every 100 rounds or so, no oil and you are good for 300 rds or more. Additionally , if the bolt and firing pin are oiled the gun will not fire in cold weather due to the high viscosity of the oil. The black mamba anodized bolt should not be oiled, got over 10K rds on the gun without any oil on the bolt, only the bolt spring.

Interesting, I myself have found that the risk of a stovepipe increases in the first 50 rounds after I clean and oil the bolt. I've heard from others as well that oiling the bolt is not necessary.

By the black mamba anodised bolt, do you mean the DLC coated one?

I've been using Hornady "One Shot Gun Cleaner and Lube" (as above, NOT the case lube) on my rimfire guns.  I have a MkIV with two different barrel/receivers/bolt assemblies and a lightly modified 10/22 and the One shot has them running flawlessly.    It leaves an effective dry film of lube which keeps the guns clean and avoids the viscous drag of liquid oils and grease.   I try to avoid ammo issues by sticking to CCI mini-mags.  

• 2 months later...

I have a Volquartsen 6” Black Mamba TF. I’ve shot about 8,000 rounds through it.

I’m having severe stovepiping issues. I was shooting Aguila Hollow points and now I’m shooting Federal. No change!

I thought the change in ammo would help. I’ve been going to the range every day for over two months. I also changed the firing pin and the firing pin spring. I also replace the extractor. I’m actually going out to shoot again right now with those changes. I hope something positive happens.  I’m relatively a new shooter working hard at joining a competition, shooting steel targets in May. My Gun it’s completely clean and Lubed correctly. My instructor is also the armor for the shop I go to he said send it back to Volquartsen. The gun is only four months old.

I’m disappointed this is happening with this new gun. I’m probably will end up sending it back.

Try some Mini Mags through it before you send it back. I'd suggest a diet of about 500 Mini Mags.  Being only 4 months old it's hardly broken in.  

If that doesn't work your best bet is to call Volquartsen.  They may be able to diagnose the problem over the phone.  If not they will ask you to send it back in and they will take care of you.  

I sent my Black Mamba in for service after 85K rounds.  A small piece of the upper broke off.  They replaced that and asked if I wanted a new barrel as well and took care of that.

Great people to do business with.