Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What finish is this?

ltdmstr

2 hours ago, Silver_Surfer said:

I got kinda nervous when I got the notification "Trump" quoted me.😄

2 hours ago, teros135 said:

That's okay.  He won't be around long. 😎

Instead of "Looks for Range" maybe his bi-line should be "Looks for Golf Course."  

Anyway, I'm familiar with rust bluing and am pretty sure that's not it.  It doesn't appear to be any type of rust and it doesn't lift of rub off.  Also doesn't appear to be any type of spray on finish.  So I'm kinda stumped.

So, I found a gun review from a while ago, and here's what it says about the finish.  Btw, it's a USFA Gunslinger in .38 Special.  Very nice piece. 

The exterior finish is a dull grayish brown, with some mottling, but is not pitted at all. It looks much like the finish seen on an old original Hawken rifle, or the browned appearance that is sometimes seen on an old lever action barrel. It is not a worn appearance, as is seen on old sixguns that spent a lot of time in a holster, nor does it look like a revolver that has seen years of neglect.  It just looks, again for lack of a better word, old. Gary tells me that their aging process is not a quickly applied chemical finish, but that they start with a finished gun, and carefully brown the exterior in several thin layers, which results in an even finish, with absolutely no pitting.

10 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

So, I found a gun review from a while ago, and here's what it says about the finish.  Btw, it's a USFA Gunslinger in .38 Special.  Very nice piece. 

The exterior finish is a dull grayish brown, with some mottling, but is not pitted at all. It looks much like the finish seen on an old original Hawken rifle, or the browned appearance that is sometimes seen on an old lever action barrel. It is not a worn appearance, as is seen on old sixguns that spent a lot of time in a holster, nor does it look like a revolver that has seen years of neglect.  It just looks, again for lack of a better word, old. Gary tells me that their aging process is not a quickly applied chemical finish, but that they start with a finished gun, and carefully brown the exterior in several thin layers, which results in an even finish, with absolutely no pitting.

I’ve replicated this finish, as on old muzzle loaders, on some replica’s I built. You can do the same using the Birchwood Casey Plum Brown barrel finish coating several times over to get a heavier Shenzhen and then steel woofing as desired.  You can then oil down to protect.  

Edited by NoSteel

2 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

I’ve replicated this finish, as on old muzzle loaders, on some replica’s I built. You can do the same using the Birchwood Casey Plum Brown barrel finish coating several times over to get a heavier Shenzhen and then steel woofing as desired.  You can then oil down to protect.  

So the plumb brown finish on plain steel, or start with blued steel and then the plumb brown?

11 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

So the plumb brown finish on plain steel, or start with blued steel and then the plumb brown?

Plain steel as it is the bluing....  The more polished the surface the more of a Plum or Violet color will show.  May want to experiment a bit.  The process does require evenly heating the surface...  If you Google Plum brown finish you’ll get an idea of the color / finish ranges..

16 hours ago, laz2011 said:

It is an antique finish . I think u should have it gold plated with some fake diamonds on the grip. U can have the pump my gun look. 

So, basically, a bastard stepchild to your polished gold Desert Eagle?  I'll be sure to wear my grille when I'm shooting it, along with my Adidas track suit.