Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA Ronin

mont1120

Has anyone on the Forum purchased and competed with the Springfield Ronin? I am thinking about a 9MM 1911 since shooting a .45 for an entire season is losing its appeal. My older wrists get weary after a full day of major PF 230 grain rounds. Is there any real difference between the Ronin and a 9MM RO?

Have looked a a Dan Wesson Pointman and the SIG MAX, but also checking a lower price 1911.

Hi, I’m not able to answer your question, but I did own a Pointman for awhile and I thought it was very close in quality to the custom pistols I’ve owned. If it falls near your price range, it’s well worth the money. Hope this helps. 

I doubt there is any mechanical difference between the Ronin and the RO other than "features."

The Ronin is two tone, the RO Target has adjustable sights.

You don't have to shoot 230 gr major power factor.   .45 Midrange of a 185 at 750 or a 200 at 700 is mild and pleasant to shoot.  I load .45 Minor just to keep my guns and press in play instead of completely retiring them in favor of 9mm.  Very handy to have around now, I have more large pistol primers than small.

Thanks for the replies, I just thought it was really a paint change to sell more RO's. I will focus on either a Pointmaan from Dan Wesson, or a SIG MAX in 9MM. I shoot a 230 gr at just about 740 fps which gets me some wiggle room for the chrono stage. But the last match where is shot about 250 rds, my hands let me know what fun it was. The golden years are reminders of the fun we had as a youngster.

Nothing really wrong with a Springfield RO in 9mm.  The only thing I don't like that's not easy to change is lack of checkering on the frontstrap and it looks the Ronin doesn't have that either.  The 2-tone looks more custom if you're into that.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:15 PM, Jammer1911 said:

The lack of checkering is easy to over come. Either add the Wilson Combat Front Strap Checkering or a piece of skateboard tape (my preference). That what I did with both my ROs (1 in 45 ACP and 1 in 9 MM)

That works, but it's not the same.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:32 AM, Jim Watson said:

I doubt there is any mechanical difference between the Ronin and the RO other than "features."

The Ronin is two tone, the RO Target has adjustable sights.

You don't have to shoot 230 gr major power factor.   .45 Midrange of a 185 at 750 or a 200 at 700 is mild and pleasant to shoot.  I load .45 Minor just to keep my guns and press in play instead of completely retiring them in favor of 9mm.  Very handy to have around now, I have more large pistol primers than small.

I don't reload anymore. Does anyone know of a manufacturer who produces a load like this?

• 2 weeks later...

What kept me from buying was lack of front strap checkering, adjustable rear sight, blued slide, their idea of how to cut frame tangs, and cost. If I wanted to spend that ammount of money and had to have a Springfield I would go with the RO target model every day of the weak. In fact I did at one point. Ram a Springfield RO for a while in USPSA that Specer Race Guns worked over for me. Was a wicked nice pistol for sure. But having him do all the work minus coating after I was at the same price I'd be with a Dan Wesson PM9. The PM 9 has everything you need minus magwell and if left handed like me ambi thumb safety. It is also much much higher quality. Dont get me wrong a SA can be a great shooter but it's not even close to DW quality. And you cant simple fit a pinned beavertail or what ever beavertail you prefer on it because they use their special frame tang cut. This time around I opted for the PM9.

Finally decided on the SIG MAX Michel in 9MM. What I liked about it was it already has an ambi safety for us lefties, the grips are superb, great rear sight, and the magwell is already installed. By the time I buy all of those parts and have them installed in a Ronin just made no sense. I will pick either an RO or a Ronin up for a backup after a bit. Now the great experiment begins, major or minor.

1 hour ago, mont1120 said:

Finally decided on the SIG MAX Michel in 9MM. What I liked about it was it already has an ambi safety for us lefties, the grips are superb, great rear sight, and the magwell is already installed. By the time I buy all of those parts and have them installed in a Ronin just made no sense. I will pick either an RO or a Ronin up for a backup after a bit. Now the great experiment begins, major or minor.

9mm would be minor unless you shoot it in Open division. 

I like minor at most matches , cause they are set up for production on up. So the 10 rounds usually work well.

I still like major because of my personal Shooting style,  which is usually impatient.

13 hours ago, mont1120 said:

Finally decided on the SIG MAX Michel in 9MM. 

Let me know how you like that SIG MAX, I have been thinking about the 40 S&W model for awhile. Did not realize they no longer make them.

10 hours ago, ts199982 said:

Let me know how you like that SIG MAX, I have been thinking about the 40 S&W model for awhile. Did not realize they no longer make them.

I just saw one on Gunbroker in .40. My shooting buddy has one, and it is a major factor in my buying the 9MM. The .40 caliber version shoots like a dream, and I think you will really like the grips. He has shot amazingly well with it. My recommendation is if you see it in .40 get it. I just wanted to go to minor and see if it improves my scoring. I presently use either my Kimber, (highly tuned), or my SA RO in .45 for SS.

So, the great experiment begins, (that is if the Post Office can actually deliver something.)

18 hours ago, ts199982 said:

I know at one point it was pretty common for sig "1911s" to have issues chambering rounds due to their external extractors.  Wonder if that was ever resolved?  Don't hear much about it anymore but then again I don't hear much about sig 1911s period.

Edited by FALAR