Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA noob question on concealment


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, MHicks said:

With the short sweatshirt do you have to carefully tuck it under the holster and mag carrier because it will barely legally cover your gear if you don't move. Or can you pull it down and walk around and it covers the gear. 


Legal is legal, right? Otherwise the requirement would be 10 jumping jacks and remain concealed. 

 

There’s no requirement that the concealment has to be walk around-able (it is, though). 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess you could get a half tshirt that was very stretchy, pull it down under your holster, then on the beep  with the slightest movement it would pop up to your chest. No need to pull it up or sweep it at all. That might be a little faster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MHicks said:

I guess you could get a half tshirt that was very stretchy, pull it down under your holster, then on the beep  with the slightest movement it would pop up to your chest. No need to pull it up or sweep it at all. That might be a little faster.


Great idea! Thanks for the help! 
 

Something like this might work!

 

(Ironically, the shirt says “forget the rules...”)

2A2F9542-08B5-4552-88B1-EF12662ECA41.jpeg

Edited by -JCN-
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to shoot your EDC setup - just shoot USPSA Open with your CO gun or Limited with your Irons.  If you start shooting IDPA a lot, human nature will prevail and you will conform to a vest or shirt anyway.  They vests don't need to be starched to work well, and with all the variance in start positions (ie lying down, seated, in a simulated boat etc....), you need a garment that will constantly conceal your gun and mags prior to the start signal.  There are lots of options on vests as well, such as Columbia or North Face vests that can easily function as concealment garments in the "real word" and have won plenty of major matches.  In either USPSA or IDPA the draw won't win you a match anyway, so I assume you are seeking to explore the tactical priority, cover (hard leans), or accuracy focus in IDPA to supplement your training/practice.  Good luck.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JWhit said:

If you want to shoot your EDC setup - just shoot USPSA Open with your CO gun or Limited with your Irons.  If you start shooting IDPA a lot, human nature will prevail and you will conform to a vest or shirt anyway.  They vests don't need to be starched to work well, and with all the variance in start positions (ie lying down, seated, in a simulated boat etc....), you need a garment that will constantly conceal your gun and mags prior to the start signal.  There are lots of options on vests as well, such as Columbia or North Face vests that can easily function as concealment garments in the "real word" and have won plenty of major matches.  In either USPSA or IDPA the draw won't win you a match anyway, so I assume you are seeking to explore the tactical priority, cover (hard leans), or accuracy focus in IDPA to supplement your training/practice.  Good luck.  

 

Thanks! My ego prevents me from going to a USPSA match and not working on my USPSA stuff.

 

Really good point about variance in start positions and vests. IDPA was more to have some Winter options for matches, but as you said... human nature and mission creep.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 8:50 PM, -JCN- said:


I’m an “M” in USPSA.  I can do sub-second concealed carry draws to center mass. 
 

But I prefer reloading from an open magazine pouch and not having to separately sweep a T-shirt for that. 
 

I don’t even carry a reload normally so not interested in learning a new skill that’s not applicable to anything (fishing vests). 
 

Currently I use a modified concealed draw when I have to reload in the future. It entails tucking the shirt behind the magazine on the draw so it’s exposed. But that kind of draw will NEVER be used in a civilian gunfight. 
 

You’re grumpy and judgmental. I’m fine with concealed draws like the way I normally carry. But for these types of games I have to do something other than what I normally do, which is tuck the shirt. 
 

So yes, I’m looking to game it so I can use my standard concealed draw and not have to fumble with the magazine. 

I would imagine  a break away garment of some sort - assuming if safe - would still cost you valuable time.  I could be wrong.

 

If you do that, you need to tell the SO first so he doesn't stop the stage thinking there has been a serious problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Zincwarrior said:

I would imagine  a break away garment of some sort - assuming if safe - would still cost you valuable time.  I could be wrong.

 

If you do that, you need to tell the SO first so he doesn't stop the stage thinking there has been a serious problem.

 

Look at rules 1.2.2 G and 3.1 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...