Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chiappa Charging Rhino, Gen II

matteekay

Not sure how interesting this will be to everyone else, but as someone who regularly competes with a Rhino, I found this pretty neat.

Chiappa has released a new version of their "competition" Rhino, the Charging Rhino Gen II. Aside from a new paintjob and ditching the chromed cylinder, they actually updated the mechanics of it a bit. Here's a picture from their site:

prodotti_immagini_immagine_1267.jpg

The adjustable trigger stop (3) is neat but over-travel was never a problem on any of my guns.

(1) and (2) are far more intriguing. The hammer spring used to employ one "leg" to drive the hammer and the other to push a bar that returned the trigger. It looks like they're now attaching the spring to the hammer on one side, some kind of adjustment point on the other, and using a S&W-style strain screw from the back to increase and decrease pressure. That's a great fix, as previously you had to disassemble these guns and cut the spring to adjust tension. The trigger return spring (2) is totally new and appears to push the linkage from the opposite side of where it used to. I'm assuming there's a new "arm" or something going down that spring that mounts to a pivot on the linkage. Not clear if it's externally adjustable but that would be really awesome if it was so you could independently tune the hammer and trigger without taking the gun apart.

The gun is only available in 9mm, unfortunately. I've never shot IPSC but I'm guessing it fits into one of their categories? Stateside, you could only play in ICORE L6, which is why I sold my previous two Charging Rhinos and replaced them with 40 S&W models with trigger jobs. Still good for L6, but now viable for IDPA and USPSA Revo major (if you enjoy suffering).

If only they'd make a damn 8-shot already....

Just now, MikeyScuba said:

IPSC category?  IPSC Revo is either 8 shot minor or 6 shot major.  I guess you could do 6 shot minor if one likes fingernails on chalkboards.

Huh. Maybe there's some goofy Italian game where six-shot minor makes sense? :P 

18 hours ago, matteekay said:

Legal? Sure. Safe/smart? HIGHLY debatable. 

Some of these heavy bullet loads listed in the Vihtavouri loading manual make major, and they're not listed as +P.

The top rows of data in this screen shot are for a Hornady 147 gr XTP. A 147 XTP over 6.9 grains of 3N38 makes 177 power factor. This is regular published 9mm loading data.

9mm load data.png

2 hours ago, PatJones said:

Some of these heavy bullet loads listed in the Vihtavouri loading manual make major, and they're not listed as +P.

The top rows of data in this screen shot are for a Hornady 147 gr XTP. A 147 XTP over 6.9 grains of 3N38 makes 177 power factor. This is regular published 9mm loading data.

That's not a huge shock, actually. I know 3N38 is a spicy powder and a lot of the 9 Major guys use it. You'd probably have to dial it up to overcome the pressure loss of the cylinder gap, but still, interesting... 

Still not worth it (and I'd appreciate it if you stop putting awful ideas in my head). My .40 Rhino's with trigger jobs have nicer pulls than my Charging Rhinos ever did, and they even have a hammer* still. They reload better, too - bigger charge holes that Toolguy milled to be obscenely fast-loading.

Having said that... you're making a strong case for putting a dot on my 627 and loading some scorching ammo for it to run in USPSA Open.

*cocking lever

12 minutes ago, matteekay said:

Unless their rules are different, the barrel is too long and you can't use moon clips with 9mm.

As a matter of fact, IDPA allows their associations in other countries to modify the rulebook to suit local laws.  Whether that makes this revolver IDPA legal in Italy, I don't know.

10 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

As a matter of fact, IDPA allows their associations in other countries to modify the rulebook to suit local laws.  Whether that makes this revolver IDPA legal in Italy, I don't know.

So all I need to do is start a small nation-state? Very interesting... 🤔

12 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

I'd love an 8-round Rhino, and even asked Chiappa about it a few years ago. Shame they haven't done one yet.

That makes two of us bothering them. I doubt they ever will - they seem happy to riff on the existing frame. Too bad - larger- and smaller-format Rhinos would be really neat.

21 hours ago, matteekay said:

That makes two of us bothering them. I doubt they ever will - they seem happy to riff on the existing frame. Too bad - larger- and smaller-format Rhinos would be really neat.

Agreed! I haven't had the chance to put ammo downrange with one, but I have handled a few of them, and the grip setup puts me in mind of the P90: "Oh, it actually makes a lot of sense now that it's in my hand."

Alas, the only pistol matches around here are USPSA, and I have a hard enough time with an 8-round gun, so I'm unlikely to find myself buying a 6-gun for major outside of another range toy. Maybe someday.

Italian IDPA rules are exactly the  IDPA rules just written in Italian! 

In IPSC Revo only 357 Mag can qualify for Major, or larger diameter, so no way for Major 9!

Also we have a reduced IPSC shooting in old school ISSC ranges named Fast Sporting Shooting where revos are limited to shooting 6 shots between reloads.

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2020 at 5:39 PM, MikeyScuba said:

I guess IPSC has different rules depending where you are.  In Canada there is no restriction on caliber for major 170pf.

IPSC has one set of rules. If you don't comply, it ain't IPSC.

From The Rules (APPENDIX D5: Revolver Division):

1. Minimum power factor for Major 170 (see below)
2. Minimum power factor for Minor 125
3. Minimum bullet weight No
4. Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length 9 mm (0.354") / 19 mm (0.748")
5. Minimum bullet caliber for Major No

14. No limit on cylinder capacity. Revolvers with a capacity of 7 rounds or more do not qualify for Major, even if rounds achieve Major power factor during testing by chronograph.

• 7 months later...

If I understand correctly, .357 magnum can qualify for major in IPSC if properly loaded, is that right?

Are moonclips allowed with .357?

I believe Rhino makes a version that can be converted between .357/.38 and 9mm, but I don’t know if you can go the other way (convert a 9mm to .357) since the cylinder space would need to be the same. 

On 11/20/2020 at 12:41 PM, matteekay said:

that would be a pretty salty load out of a revolver.

I use 9.1 3n38(full case, compressed load) with a 124 in my 2011, that makes 175pf. 

Without a comp and 3 popple holes it would be absolutely terrible recoil wise.