Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanting to build a RFRI from a bone stock 10/22.

Canman

I traded for this 10/22 back in the 80’s if that makes a difference? I have a Kidd and a Volquartsen that the family uses in RFRO. Both have been great but I don’t see any of there barrels set up for irons. I going to change out the trigger, bolt and stock may have to keep the stock barrel. What options for sights are available with the stock barrel or go with aftermarket? Just plinking and steel challenge so it doesn’t have to be super accurate just reliable.

I managed to take high B class at WSSC with a bone stock 10/22 with a self help trigger job and a Magpul stock.  Kept the stock sights.  If/when I do it again, I'll swap out the barrel for a Wiland, and use his sights as well.

12 hours ago, Canman said:

I traded for this 10/22 back in the 80’s if that makes a difference? I have a Kidd and a Volquartsen that the family uses in RFRO. Both have been great but I don’t see any of there barrels set up for irons. I going to change out the trigger, bolt and stock may have to keep the stock barrel. What options for sights are available with the stock barrel or go with aftermarket? Just plinking and steel challenge so it doesn’t have to be super accurate just reliable.

Volquartsen makes all the pieces you'll need to build your RFRI project. 

7 hours ago, revolver45 said:

Volquartsen makes all the pieces you'll need to build your RFRI project. 

That is true, but they are inconsistent.  I'd much rather go with Kidd.  Having used both firms offerings, I can say that Kidd's are demonstrably better.  That goes for everything down to extractor claws.  Honestly, if I had not been so adamant about left handed charging I would have gone all Kidd, except for the barrel.  I really wanted the Wiland. 

Edited by zzt

I would recommend spending $25 on the Williams Firesite set and you'll be ready to go for RFRI.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/wdos--ruger-1022-firesight-set-060213

Stock fit is the challenge for RFRI.  Most AR type stocks put your head too high for iron sights.  The original 10/22 stock is a good fit for irons. You already know the trigger options.

The cool kids run these $260 barrels:  https://tacticalsol.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1366893&CAT=13324

Here's my RFRI setup with a stock 10/22 leftover barrel.  I used a poor man's milling machine setup to mill a slot in the left side, drilled & tapped the bolt for a handle.  

Enos.jpg

Bolt.jpg

5 hours ago, xpierrat said:

The hot tip this year will be the wiland set up  light fast and super adjustable to make it fit your likes...

we have gone to the wiland set up for RFRO... would do the same but will not be shooting RFRI this year 

Rick 2021.jpg

That is badass! You didn't happen to record a build sheet, did you?

21 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Thanks, Steve!

Does his setup still use the press fit barrel?  Will he mount the barrel?

The Wiland barrel is a shroud press fit.  There are rumors he is going to have a full length barrel with a thin shroud at some point.

The chassis does not come with a barrel.  My setup is a full Magnum Research gun dropped into the wiland chassis.  It is super light!

The shroud on the Wiland LLW barrel is also pinned.  The barrel will slide into any receiver that is in spec.  If you bought a gunsmith fit receiver you'll have to remove material on the tenon to get it in.

BTW, I had occasion to handle the Wiland chassis/barrel setup yesterday.  It was very comfortable, but heavy in the rear.  It made the muzzle feel whippy.

On 11/20/2020 at 11:30 PM, BentAero said:

That is badass! You didn't happen to record a build sheet, did you?

As Steve mentioned it is a Wiland Chassis kit in which you drop your receiver/trigger/ barrel set up into.    Mine is a Tactical Innovations Receiver, Ruger bolt that has had the CPC tune up treatment, Kidd single stage trigger, and of course a Wiland ultra lite barrel.... weight should be sub 4lbs depending on Type of red dot, trigger group etc.    

IMG_2301.jpg

I talked to Todd yesterday evening about his chassis and my impression.  In a week or two he will have a clamp on hand stop that will weigh between 1.5 an 2.5 oz.  That should help balance out the rifle.  The hand stop is curved.  Placed conventionally your hand will be stopped when your index finger hits the stop.  Reversed, your pinky will hit and can help pull the gun into you.  They will be available in black only.