Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Optics/Carry Optics and VP9-L (SFP9-L)

o27

Currently shooting a 9mm Pantera 2011 in Limited division (from Denmark, and here most is on the 9mm due to restriktions on approval of the ranges) and now looking into getting a new gun for Production Optics as I would like to have a more “for fun Gun” with Optics.

Have looked at all the usual suspects; Shadow 1/2, P320 X-five (no Legions this side of the pond unfortunately), QF 5, M&P 9, Glock 17 etc. Glock just don’t seem to fit my hands/grip, supporting thumb is being torn apart by the slide release. 

Then stumbled across the HK VP9-L (called SFP9-L in Europe), I like the looks and ergonomics of it, opportunity to get a Gray Gun trigger etc. But my research show surprisingly limited information and experience on this model and HK overall in IPSC/competitive shooting - how come?

62500F53-F7D3-4546-AB1C-7727FCFE3B9B.jpeg

I don't think HKs are unpopular in practical shooting because they're poorly made or inaccurate.

At least in the US, their marketing is horrible and most competition shooters probably don't even think of HK as a choice.  On the other hand, Walther has done a nice job of marketing to competition shooters and their Q5 Match series of pistols have done relatively well in a narrow market such as practical pistol shooting here in the US.

The "tactical timmy" guys here in the US love them for various reasons.  Some because of their quality, some because it's HK and they like to flex on the poors shooting Glocks.

In any case, if they gun tracks in recoil well for you and you can find the support (holsters, magazines, baseplates, optic adapter plates, sights, spare parts/repairs, etc) that you need, go for it.  I doubt you'll regret it unless having what everyone else has is important to you.

Is the CZ P-10F OR an option for you?

Edited by SGT_Schultz

In Denmark the legal minimum length of the gun is 210mm - i believe the PF-10 is significantly shorter than that, in some case i.e. Glock 17 we have the vendors create a Glock 17 DK model where the barrel is extended to reach minimum legal length.

7 hours ago, o27 said:

In Denmark the legal minimum length of the gun is 210mm - i believe the PF-10 is significantly shorter than that, in some case i.e. Glock 17 we have the vendors create a Glock 17 DK model where the barrel is extended to reach minimum legal length.

For what it's worth, CZ UB's website shows the P-09 being 208 mm long and the P-10F 203 mm long.  The P-10F with the threaded barrel is certainly longer than 210 mm.