Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 recoil guide rod advice wanted

BryceA

I frequently find that my second shot of a pair can end up low so I'm thinking of trying out the old "tune your recoil spring" trick and was hoping for some expert opinions. This is just for competition, loading 135 grain projectiles over Sport pistol, so pretty soft stuff. I have both a G17 and a G34 that I'd like to tune, if they're materially different.

1. So, first off: is it a waste of time and money or is there some legit benefit to this? I suspect this point alone may result in controversy so sorry in advance.
  2. What assemblies should I be looking at? I see tungsten rods from the Glock Store and stainless steel (Jager seems nice) with a big price gap between them. In my minds eye I just want a more consistent muzzle return with less dolphin dive at the end so getting the spring weight right is the most important part. Then again, maybe I'm just being stingy.
  3. What weight springs should I be considering? I was planning on buying 15, 14, and 13 lb springs. I know there is some consideration of the striker spring and I'm running a 5lb, I think it's only a half lb lighter than stock because I have a lot of CCI primers.

Thanks for your advice.

I think you're on the right track with the Firing Pin Spring.  Super-light will yield some really nice characteristics with trigger weight, but at the risk of reliability with those CCI primers.

Most folks find that a 13# spring is close-to-right for them in 9mm Glocks.  Nic Taylor has a great video on spring tuning on YouTube.  It's geared around 2011s, but the concepts are the same.

My only caveat with this would be to ensure that your pistol doesn't attempt to unlock/come out of battery while the trigger is being pressed.  There is a balancing act going on between the Recoil Spring weight and that of the Firing Pin Spring whilst the trigger is being pressed; the former is closing the slide, the latter is trying to pull it open.  Too much FPS and not enough RS will make it unlock....

4.5 striker spring, with a 13lb. Recoil should do it for you. For the guide rod I got the carver custom rod for a gen5 ISMI spring.  Not sure about other manufacturers but the gen 5 rod for a g34 is longer than the previous gens. Carvers goes right to the end of the muzzle, you also need the adapter. It made a huge difference in accuracy for me. With the stock RSA at 25 yards my groups were terrible, when I switched to the 13lb spring it was a night and day difference. I went from groups all over a uspsa target to all a zone hits at 25yds. 

Taran Tactical stainless guide rod is a good deal at $35.  I would pass on tungsten unless you prefer the extra weight up front.  Aside from that, there's no benefit.  13 or 14 lb recoil spring works for prob 95% of people shooting 9 minor.  I prefer Wolff springs over ISMI as the latter are usually pretty far off the advertised weight and tend to vary considerably from lot to lot.

14 minutes ago, rooster said:

4.5 striker spring, with a 13lb. Recoil should do it for you.

I've tried a 4.5# spring and got the occasional light strike after break in so I think I'm going to stick with the 5#, especially with winder upon us. I'll give it a go with the 13# recoils spring and maybe I'll get lucky and not have problems. Worst case I can go a bit heavier to make sure I get proper lockup.

50 minutes ago, Braxton1 said:

Nic Taylor has a great video on spring tuning on YouTube.

Is this the one: Tuning your Pistol for Faster Double Taps with Recoil Springs?

Hello: I would try a 13lb ISMI recoil spring on a steel or stainless steel guide rod. Another option would be a 12lb Wolff spring since they are a little stiffer than their advertised weight. I have used ISMI, Lone Wolf, Wolff and Jager guide rods. I like the captured ones since it makes it easier to tear the top end down and install the guide rod setup after cleaning. My gen 5 guide rod is a Jager captured that uses Wolff springs but I have not used it yet since I am waiting on the Glock 17 still. Thanks, Eric

If you go Tungsten, the one labeled PURE TUNGSTEN GUIDE ROD FOR GEN4/5 GLOCKS from Glockstore.com is the better of the two I tried. It's a heavy one-piece uncaptured, and doesn't need the little shim adapter, but it ain't cheap. The Double Diamond Tungsten one is cheaper - thinner , not as heavy, and its a two piece. I broke the screw in part at the end. Probably within 5,000 rounds. Luckily it was @ practice and not a match. If you do go with the first Tungsten one I mentioned, pay attention to the springs. There's a link for the correct diameter springs, since it's a thicker guide-rod

I run 13# recoil and 4.5# striker on my gen5 G34s and have not had any light strikes even with CCIs. One striker is stock and one is a Johnny Glocks, which I think is just a modified stock striker

14 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

If you go Tungsten

At least for 9mm minor it seems like nobody is adamant that a tungsten rod is worth 4X the price so I'm leaning toward the Jager .270 diameter SS captured rod here. I haven't bought it yet, waiting for a response from their customer support as to whether the Gen5 g17 and G34 rods are different, but unless someone talks me out of it I'll probably order one after I get a reply.

I would not disagree - for myself. G34 is my wifes main shooter, and she much prefers the tungsten. I'm of the opinion - that I get used to whatever I'm shooting after I shoot it enough and figure it out. My g34 is really her backup gun (not officially, but you know how that goes...), so I keep it configured pretty close to hers.