Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ape hanger vs Zig racker likeness

WestTex

18 minutes ago, jpeters11 said:

Should be the same. My atlas custom came with a zig racker and my thumb kept getting in the way, tossed on one of their ape hangers and all is good. 

Exactly what I was looking for. You're the man, thank you!

11 hours ago, outerlimits said:

apply heat first??

Yes, hot enough you don't want to touch it.  Do not get it glowing.  If it gets too hot, you can kill the springs inside.  Put the flat part with the ball bearing in a vice up to about the bend and warm it up.  then softly hit it with a mallet.  It doesn't take much.  I have done it many times.  

1 minute ago, outerlimits said:

just start tapping on it while i n a vice?

May not be the right way to do it but while it was on the gun I took a crescent wrench and slowly started bending it up. Worked for me but your mileage may vary if you try this.   

8 minutes ago, Bwilmot said:

May not be the right way to do it but while it was on the gun I took a crescent wrench and slowly started bending it up. Worked for me but your mileage may vary if you try this.   

the thought of smacking a $5K gun with a crescent wrench is a bit sick.

23 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: when you put it in a vise make sure you use pieces of soft metal on either side of the racker to protect the finish. Most bench vises have serrations that will tear up the racker. You can use aluminum or a piece of copper pipe. Thanks, Eric

Good call! Thanks 

• 1 month later...