Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 and heavier weight ammo?

Stafford

On 12/31/2020 at 4:00 AM, FALAR said:

Before getting my first Shadow 2 I had heard about CZ's reputation for short chambers.

It varies from gun to gun too. The two S2s I actually run eat 1.120ish length 125gr blue bullets just fine. However, and Accu S2 I impulse bought a month back strait chokes on them. The leade (or whatever) on the rifling is visibly shorter on that one. I shortened to 1.08ish and it's fine now in all 3. I recall from a reddit comment that that may depend on how fresh the tooling is on the reamer they just happened to use, but who knows if that's actually true.

On 11/15/2020 at 2:04 PM, Nathanb said:

It has to do with profile more than anything. 

This is 100% the case for me. I can have some old ACME dummies that are much pointier that don'e have this issue in this gun. Blue bullets are much rounder so that's the case for me.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:21 AM, Joe4d said:

OP didnt mention what the malfunction was.

Back to the original point, this is true. The thread seems to have just went off in the short chamber direction without anything indicating that to be the actual case here. I used to get horrible fail to extracts on my 2 main S2s until I went to 13lb recoil springs from 11lb for example. I also need to clean the extractors every 3-4k or so. Those are only 2 additional possible causes though.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:11 AM, GeneBray said:

All the 147s I've ever reloaded and it is quite a few brands worked fine.  Don't recall which now.

I suggest all try to find the article Bullet Design And Feeding Reliability In Semi-Automatic Pistols by Brad Miller, Ph.D. on the internet.  Original article as published 7-16-2010.  The site where this was posted is now defunct.  The link I have is http://38super.net/Pages/Bullet Design and Feeding Reliability.html.

A newer version of the article was print in 2013 by Guns and Ammo under the title Miller, B. Keep that gun running; An in-depth look at bullet nose design and feeding reliability in semiauto pistols  in Guns and Ammo 2013 Annual pages 171-176. I don't recall significant changes compared to the original.  I located a copy and purchased a few years ago.

The soft copy I have is the 2017. There are notes added to the start pertaining to the Guns and Ammo article and one at the end from the person who published the article and carries page dates ot 2017 but is a repost the 2010 with the additions noted. 

This article also provide answer(s) to  "why" for the comment "CZs have short chambers (or throats)...."

Here's a link to the article from 2010.  Lots of good info there: https://web.archive.org/web/20101025075157/http://38super.net/Pages/Bullet Design and Feeding Reliability.html

On 1/5/2021 at 7:44 PM, tryingmediumhard said:

It varies from gun to gun too. The two S2s I actually run eat 1.120ish length 125gr blue bullets just fine. However, and Accu S2 I impulse bought a month back strait chokes on them. The leade (or whatever) on the rifling is visibly shorter on that one. I shortened to 1.08ish and it's fine now in all 3. I recall from a reddit comment that that may depend on how fresh the tooling is on the reamer they just happened to use, but who knows if that's actually true.

This is 100% the case for me. I can have some old ACME dummies that are much pointier that don'e have this issue in this gun. Blue bullets are much rounder so that's the case for me.

Back to the original point, this is true. The thread seems to have just went off in the short chamber direction without anything indicating that to be the actual case here. I used to get horrible fail to extracts on my 2 main S2s until I went to 13lb recoil springs from 11lb for example. I also need to clean the extractors every 3-4k or so. Those are only 2 additional possible causes though.

See if can find this article on the internet. If not reach out via forum and I’ll send the pdf. 

Bullet Design And Feeding Reliability In Semi- Automatic Pistols

I think I may have posted a link for this somewhere on Enos before. You may find it here quicker.