Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting innovations ramped barrel build problem

Having feeding issues with new SI ramped PCC barrel, wanted to see if anyone has any cures.

Components:

QC10 upper and lower receiver, Glock

QC10 bolt

ETS and Magpul Glock magazines

Factory ammo (federal syntech)

Issues

- magazine won't feed in when full

- ammo gets caught at an angle between the barrel and bolt

Didn't have this issue with kvp barrel

According to shooting innovations the QC10 bolt requires modification to work properly with their ramped barrel. They offered to modify my bolt. The lower part of the bolt has to be reduced by 50 thousandths. I've sent the bolt in for modification.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 11:54 PM, CaliPCC said:

Having feeding issues with new SI ramped PCC barrel, wanted to see if anyone has any cures.

Components:

QC10 upper and lower receiver, Glock

QC10 bolt

ETS and Magpul Glock magazines

Factory ammo (federal syntech)

Issues

- magazine won't feed in when full

- ammo gets caught at an angle between the barrel and bolt

Didn't have this issue with kvp barrel

I've used most of what you're using with good results...  Did you change anything else when you installed the SI barrel?  Are you using the same buffer, spring and spacers (if short stroked) as before?  Were you using the same Syntech ammunition with your other barrel?  Might try a geniune Glock magazine.

40 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I've used most of what you're using with good results...  Did you change anything else when you installed the SI barrel?  Are you using the same buffer, spring and spacers (if short stroked) as before?  Were you using the same Syntech ammunition with your other barrel?  Might try a geniune Glock magazine.

Changed only the barrel and handguard, I'm guessing the face of the barrel needs polish, or the magazine is not seated high enough.. I purchased an SI bolt to rule out if the issue is with the bolt. I'll see what SI responds with.

1 hour ago, CaliPCC said:

Changed only the barrel and handguard, I'm guessing the face of the barrel needs polish, or the magazine is not seated high enough.. I purchased an SI bolt to rule out if the issue is with the bolt. I'll see what SI responds with.

The SI barrels require a notched bolt face, which I assumed is what SI did for you...  How long did you run the SI barrel with the un-notched bolt?  It's possible that the bolt smashed into the barrel ramp and damaged it.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the SI bolt, haven't shot it yet but hand cycling seems to be working. I am having two issues. I don't use LRBHO on my competition gun and it seems like the SI ramped barrel and bolt are only supposed to be used on guns that do. Issue #1: full magazine cannot be loaded on closed bolt. Issue #2: on Magpul magazines, the bolt catches on the follower after the last round is fired. Is this supposed to happen?

On 1/1/2021 at 3:01 PM, CaliPCC said:

Received the SI bolt, haven't shot it yet but hand cycling seems to be working. I am having two issues. I don't use LRBHO on my competition gun and it seems like the SI ramped barrel and bolt are only supposed to be used on guns that do. Issue #1: full magazine cannot be loaded on closed bolt. Issue #2: on Magpul magazines, the bolt catches on the follower after the last round is fired. Is this supposed to happen?

I've never used a LRBHO device on any of my PCCs...  No issues.

Maybe your magazine springs are stiff...  Try taking one round out and see if that helps...  If you need more capacity, buy a Glock 31 round magazine and a Taran Tactical +10 extension...  Load it to 38 rounds and you're good to go.

Do you mean that the bolt catches on the magazine follower?  Never seen that.

I just ordered a vltor charging handle, thinking just maybe that might be the culprit. It's a hail Mary at this point. Yes, on the last round the bolt catches on the follower, when I depress the follower the bolt closes. I really have no idea what is wrong.

12 hours ago, CaliPCC said:

I just ordered a vltor charging handle, thinking just maybe that might be the culprit. It's a hail Mary at this point. Yes, on the last round the bolt catches on the follower, when I depress the follower the bolt closes. I really have no idea what is wrong.

Have you tried a genuine Glock magazine yet?

It's possible that the magazine is located too high in your lower...  My QC10 lower has a flat bar held in by a set screw that stops magazines from going up to far...  Make sure your lower has that piece in the right spot...  make sure that your magazines have a flat spot near the top that locates the magazine vertically so it doesn't go up too far...  Maybe it got chewed up somehow.