Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need assistance with Gold Custom Eric 9mm Open Tanfoglio

Banacek

Hello,

I am looking for a new race gun.  I was not happy that STI changed their name and dropped their race gun line.  Not looking for a custom gun and have seen the Tanfoglio guns at previous competitions.  

The gun comes stripped down with no site.  What are people putting on them and where do you buy magazines.  

Does anyone know how the Tanfoglio Gold Custom Eric compare to the CZ 75 TS Czechmate?

Thanks.

Gold Custom Eric.jpg

Czechmate.jpg

Hi,

I am rather new to the open pistol circus but let’s add my thoughts. I am building an open gun on a Tanfoglio limited custom. I like that it has the large frame intended for 45 ACP so I can load long 9 Major ammo. As I understand CZ does not offer that option. Both guns are solid weapons. For me the factory trigger on CZ is better than Tanfoglio (less creep). Magazines are easy to get for both here in Germany and are not overly expensive. For my SVI getting mags here is also easy but very expensive. 
just my 2 cents

I used limited tanfo’s converted to open division for a season or two. Patriot defense is the company in the US that will be your go to if you are here. They sell most things tanfo. 

I used 9mm major in mine. Even using a limited I had one of the barrels reamed (by patriot defense) to load longer.  

You are able to get a really good trigger in the Tanfo’s. 

mag extensions to create 170mm tanfo mags weren’t around when I was shooting them so I had to use mostly 140’s with a couple mbx 170’s that were pretty good but not 100%. But now you can slap some extensions on the factory mags and get 170’s that way. The tanfo mags were super reliable. 

I’ve got a ton of match videos of them up but don’t think I did any real informational videos as to the parts on them. 

Depends on bullet profile. I was using coated blue Bullets and their 125gr TC bullet would take a longer OAL due to shape. After reaming I used 115’s a lot but ended up back with the 125’s in the end. Less smoke due to less required velocity.  So reaming may not be required based up on your needs. 

3 hours ago, IT-Sniper said:

Hi,

I am rather new to the open pistol circus but let’s add my thoughts. I am building an open gun on a Tanfoglio limited custom. I like that it has the large frame intended for 45 ACP so I can load long 9 Major ammo. As I understand CZ does not offer that option. Both guns are solid weapons. For me the factory trigger on CZ is better than Tanfoglio (less creep). Magazines are easy to get for both here in Germany and are not overly expensive. For my SVI getting mags here is also easy but very expensive. 
just my 2 cents

The CZ 75 TS Czechmate and Parrot both shoot 9mm Major ammo, though fine print says they can handle IPSC PF of 160 where USPSA is 165 and we all load hotter to make sure we always meet the PF and sometimes to maximize the comp.  I ran across someone selling their Czechmate and they also reamed the barrel.  Not sure if that is necessary or not.  My STI DVC took the longer AOL just fine.  

So, I am not seeing a ton of USPSA current  (>2018) youtube videos of people shooting the EAA Witness Gold Team Eric gun.  Is this still a goto gun for Open division?  I have to say the base price is attractive and I like that it does not come with the standard C-More.  I want to get the smaller C-More or something that maybe you guys are running on your guns.  

Does anyone have info on the Gold Team years / models?  I am looking at a 2007 model but not sure what is out there.   

Aslo, where are people buying mags and does anyone have experience with the trigger on the Gold Team?  The newer CZs have a really nice trigger,  I have the TSO .40 and that is a sweet trigger pull.  

I’ve got the hookup for you.  Just put down a 98.5% classifier with a Tanfoglio today.

To make it reliable - you have to stroke the slide.  I did mine a third of an inch.  JJ Racaza and Grauffel did theirs 9mm.  Patriot Defense recommends .25 - it’s more plug and play for the general public.  If you do a third of an inch like I did, you might have to polish parts of the slide or barrel to keep it from hanging when the slide is pulled back.

Put in an extra power extractor spring.

I’ve used every mount and red dot combo available for the Tanfo in the US.

I prefer the IPSCAlex mount for the RMR with a Trijicon SRO mounted.

Unica Trigger Parts everywhere but the sear - Xtreme sear.  

Like any open gun - the slower the powder, the better.  Work up your own loads depending on caliber with the slowest powder that people have reported to make major - pretty easy.

This was never a goto gun for open division.

But, Eric Grauffel has beaten a ton of people shooting it.

It’s biggest advantage is its light weight - especially at the muzzle.

That means it’s not very sensitive to dipping with a moderate recoil spring and it’s very easy to run n gun with.

That makes it a great gun for IPSC, which tends to have longer, more movement oriented stages than USPSA.

But, for speed strings or stand and deliver action - a well tuned Domina or 2011 will deliver less muzzle flip.

For the 170mm - I use a Taylor Freelance extension with the Mecgar tubes.

The factory Tanfoglio 170’s suck.

Taylor Freelance for the 140 extensions too.

Polish the mags.

I took the factory barrel and modified it to have about the same recoil characteristics as the v12 barrel but with less powder required.

Bigger ports, but closer to the end of the barrel.  Works well.

25B2F9A5-F1DC-4BB6-9BC7-4A59D9385E2C.jpeg

@Whoops! 

Thanks for the info, can you send me some pictures of the mount and SRO?    I have a Trijicon RMR that uses ambient light and I really like it, do you happen to know if the SRO is same type sight?  What exactly do you mean by stroke the slide and are you using aftermarket magazine base pads, springs and followers for the mags?  

Check the link above for all of the info for stroking the slide.  Find a good gunsmith to do the work.

The SRO doesn’t use ambient light, but it’s a lot better for competition because it’s brighter and uses a larger window.  I really like the 5 moa.  

I only have my Domina with me right now, but here are some pics.

The Trijicon RMR mount is better than the RTS2 mount because it doesn’t cover as much of the ejection port.

Yes, Taylor Freelance components with Mec Gar mags.

I am using the stock base pads because they are more reliable than any aftermarket base pads - albeit at capacity cost.

77BCB268-1DCD-46F7-9DFD-C657D8D52020.jpeg

AAEC5944-F303-4E46-A347-6BEAEF8BEB38.jpeg

Edited by Whoops!

MBX has new mags available. I am using them with my .325 stroked Gold Team and they work.  1.165 oal jhp.  They are not consistent when using my old ammo at 1.135  Oal.  Pretty soon none of this will matter if we don’t get some primers.