Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Developing Load using 147FP Coated Lead................

HOGRIDER

While perusing the Bullseye-L forum, I came across this post by Texasref that really peaked my interest since loading some 147FP Coated lead is next on my agenda for the STI Stac P.

I have shot a lot of 9mm in all different weights with different powders. I'm as new to "Bullseye" as you can get. But have worked some on the accuracy end of things with this round.
One thing I have found to be true, you have to "spin" that bullet. Any velocities that fall short will tend to tumble the bullet. When that happens you'll need to increase you powder charge.
I shoot nothing but 147 FP coated bullets now since most of my shooting is indoors.
The diameter should be .356", which is about standard. You can get .357" for better bullet/barrel contact if you ask.
The real problem with 9mm is that your dealing with a tapered case so it's difficult to eliminate the variables that effect accuracy unless it's new brass.
Anyway here's a formula that you can use as a starting point.

All 147FP bullets.

Load as long as the chamber will allow. Drop a dummy round in and spin. If it does not spin shorten until it does.
Don't forget to crimp the case. Some say you don't need to but I always have.
Powder charge 3.2gns.
Powders: Titegroup  VVN320  Alliant Sport Pistol

The above will make 135 power factor if your into USPSA and such.

As I have N320 in the PM right now, and plenty of 147FP Coated, thought I'd load up some sample rounds to test as soon as I'm out of "quarantine"............  ;)

Anyone use or have validated a similar load?

Thanks!

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

If you are planning on shooting bullseye, you will likely need a faster load.  In my experience with 9mm 147, you need 950-1000 fps for bullseye type accuracy.  At that rate you are better off shooting your 45 in the Centerfire leg.  Most of the bullseye shooters I know shooting 9mm in the Centerfire leg use 115s or 124s fast.  124s being more widely used.

If you are just out for USPSA or Steel, you don't need that kind of accuracy, so 130-135 PF is plenty.  I'll also say the GB must have a fast barrel.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

If you are planning on shooting bullseye, you will likely need a faster load.  In my experience with 9mm 147, you need 950-1000 fps for bullseye type accuracy.  At that rate you are better off shooting your 45 in the Centerfire leg.  Most of the bullseye shooters I know shooting 9mm in the Centerfire leg use 115s or 124s fast.  124s being more widely used.

If you are just out for USPSA or Steel, you don't need that kind of accuracy, so 130-135 PF is plenty.  I'll also say the GB must have a fast barrel.

zzt:

Guess I'm one of those odd ones that like Bullseye accuracy (or close to it) but only enjoy local Steel and occasional USPSA..............my goal is to try and get good accuracy out of some 147fp coated since I have a plentiful supply.  Now that the Stac P is my primary shooter, I'm having to redo my load development since I walked away from the Glock for all but CCW.

Have always read of using the longest COAL that the particular chamber likes, but the finest accuracy with this pistol have been with AE 147FMJ-FPs traveling at 1000fps!  And these average ~1.125" COAL. 

Right now I have no idea what this 1:16 twist barrel will like using 147fp Coated bullets w/ N320.  Not being lazy to do my homework; just the shooting season is slowly coming to an end.  This barrel will easily do 1.150" COAL if needed..............

Thanks!

2 hours ago, GringoBandito said:

I  use n320 and 147's almost exclusively. 3.1-3.2 is a good load for USPSA with an OAL of 1.120. Be sure to plunk test before you commit to the length. 

3.1 and 147 make 130PF out of my S2

Gringo:

Thanks for the feedback!  This STI has a generous chamber and will plunk to 1.150" if needed.

👍

I’ve loaded lots of coated 147s from Blue Bullets and SNS over 3.2g of N320. They’ve always made 134-135PF out of my Glock 34s. I’ve never actually measured my best groups but at that PF the accuracy has been completely satisfactory. YMMV. 

On 11/13/2020 at 9:28 PM, BigMoneyGrip said:

I've shot a bunch with the 3.2 of Sport Pistol and they shoot great. I started on a new load with Power Pistol but it got too dark today and my chronograph wouldn't work. I'll resume tomorrow. 

Same here with Sport Pistol. 3.2 as well.

Absolutely great results. 

Curious as to your findings with Power Pistol. Please post.

Thanks 

After some more thorough testing, it appears this barrel maxes out with the Coated 147g FP at ~1.155" COAL.  So, I decided to load up 50 at 1.140" with 3.2g of N320..............

Now, to get through another week of quarantine!  😪

Thanks for everyone's feedback, and I'll report back ASAP.

:cheers:

On 11/14/2020 at 10:03 PM, EH2020 said:

Same here with Sport Pistol. 3.2 as well.

Absolutely great results. 

Curious as to your findings with Power Pistol. Please post.

Thanks 

I loaded 130 with the Power Pistol and shot them Saturday. With the same bullet as I use in the Sport Pistol load (890 FPS), the PP load was 10 FPS faster. However, the PP had quiet a bit more recoil. The SP load shoots super soft and the PP is a good bit snappier.

I'm sticking with Sport Pistol on this load.

21 hours ago, rowdyb said:

A coated 147 rnfp going 930-940 fps is amazingly accurate vs one going 880 fps.

21 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

3.4 - 3.6gr of n320 with 147gr FPs at about 1.15 is my go to load. Very accurate for me. 

rowdyb, OptimiStick:

THANK YOU!  ;)

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

rowdyb, OptimiStick:

THANK YOU!  ;)

no worries. That combo makes plenty of PF for minor too. I have some chrono stats on several different pills with it , if you want it send me a message. at 3.2gr I was having some FTF/ FTE with a few of my plastic guns (M&P and Glock). So I stay at 3.4 and above and alls good. It tightened up my groups a little too