Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 124 grain Load Recommendation Minor PF

jarhead1104

The pcc will be the limiting factor in length. A plunk test will need to be performed. So if it will fit in the PCC it should work in the pistol.

With that said.     4.0g Sport Pistol @ 1.125                                 3.8g Bulls eye @ 1.125             Two loads that I have used that make power factor

works in a pistol and PCC.

57 minutes ago, Ner said:

Is it for minor with 16" ? sounds more like factory one

LtdMstr's "4.0 N320 behind a 124" load is what I use and will run about 1050 to 1080 fps in most pistols.  It'll be a touch faster in a PCC, but not too much.

N320 burns fast enough that the extra PCC barrel length doesn't produce a lot of extra velocity like slower powders do.

Lets see, 9mm, here's what I have:

124gr Berry's, Montana Gold, or Zero FMJ/RN, 4.00gr TiteGroup, OAL 1.139 gives approx 132 PF in my Glock 34.

124gr Berry's RN, 3.8gr TiteGroup, OAL 1.122 gives approx 130 PF in my G34.

125gr Precision RN, 3.50gr TiteGroup, OAL 1.05x gives approx 132 PF in my G34.

Can any one help me with a stupid question..?

So, the question is

We have a factory 9mm 115 fmj round ..with an average fps of 1150 shoted from a 4" barrel

What would be the approximate FPS data of this round if i will shoot it from a 12'5" pcc barrel ?

thx in advance 

28 minutes ago, Ner said:

So, the question is

We have a factory 9mm 115 fmj round ..with an average fps of 1150 shoted from a 4" barrel

What would be the approximate FPS data of this round if i will shoot it from a 12'5" pcc barrel ?

thx in advance 

only your chrono will answer that for sure. Not all 12.5” PCC barrels are created equal. 

Your getting a 132 PF in the 4” barrel, so I’m going to guess you would be getting 1200-1250 FPS in the longer barrel. There are some variables, like powder burn rate, that affect this. 

you really need to invest in a chrono to confirm your results. $100 is a small price to pay for such a valuable tool. 

8 minutes ago, Cuz said:

only your chrono will answer that for sure. Not all 12.5” PCC barrels are created equal. 

Your getting a 132 PF in the 4” barrel, so I’m going to guess you would be getting 1200-1250 FPS in the longer barrel. There are some variables, like powder burn rate, that affect this. 

you really need to invest in a chrono to confirm your results. $100 is a small price to pay for such a valuable tool. 

I know i know :( ..but coz of a reasons it can't be done 

So here i am.

Take for example N320, it's medium burn, right? So, +12 FPS per barrel inch ? or ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 9:43 PM, ltdmstr said:

4.0g N320 @ 1.142 is a good place to start.  

This is where I started and it worked very well.  I dropped to 3.7 with coated.  Both loads run fine in my X5 Legion and  Sig MPX.  I've shot about 2K of this load so far.

There is also some good load data in this topic:

kind of a loaded (no pun intended) question. 

124 gr bullet in CO should be a close to 125 as possible, in my opinion 

Which means it should be about 1025 FPS 

OAL and powder type is a big variable. 

In my CZs, I run them at 1.11 OAL and about 4.0 gr of Titegroup.
I like the 147gr bullets better as they require less powder (3.1) same OAL. 

1 minute ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

124 gr bullet in CO should be a close to 125 as possible, in my opinion 

Which means it should be about 1025 FPS 

Actually, if one is going to get serious about competing, about 7 over minimum is considered safe to pass most any chrono. So 132 or so, or 1065ish fps 

52 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

My first question is, in the present market, do you have or can you get primers and a reasonably suitable powder at all?

Some of us have been through this before and planned accordingly.  Also, I've had no problems getting case quantities of N320 and 20k+ bullet orders recently.  Only problem is primers.  

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Actually, if one is going to get serious about competing, about 7 over minimum is considered safe to pass most any chrono. So 132 or so, or 1065ish fps 

thats true, but I am the dumbass that gets to 125 by the skin of my teeth. 

makes an interesting chrono stage.... LOL 

9 hours ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

Last Major I was sitting at 125.1 

Only stage I won that day.....🤣

One of the guys at my club does the same with Limited major.  He plans for exactly 165 PF in a 6" gun.  At one LIII match he crono'd 164 and got dropped to minor.  You could have heard his howls two States over.  It's just silly.

My 9mm major load has never gone below 167 for the slowest bullet in any chrono string.  Typically the slowest is 168.  My Limited major load was 172 and never went below 170 for the slowest bullet of any string.  I just don't see the logic of rolling the dice.

Open major to me, there is really no reason to go under 175 and never under 170 PF.   
PractiScore shows PF of each shooter from  Nats, if anyone is interested,   Looked like some SV open s hooters ran 180+ PF along with the open shooters from the PT team.  Some or often open guns like the higher PF, it seems to clam the dots down especially with the 124’s..

Edited by a matt

• 1 month later...

According to my charts: (all out of a Canik TP9SFx)

124gr. coated + 3.4gr Clays (Canada) + 1.130 oal = 128.2 avg.

125gr. coated + 3.4gr Clays (Canada) + 1.125 oal = 127.5 avg.

125gr. coated + 3.9gr Win 244 + 1.125 oal = 134.4 avg.

125gr. coated + 3.3gr Sport Pistol + 1.125 oal = 117.8 avg. (yes I know, but I shoot Steel Challenge and PF doesn't matter)

On 11/18/2020 at 4:00 AM, Ner said:

So, the question is

thx in advance 

This will give you a little idea. Seems 9mm doesn’t gain as much vel per inch as others do. 
http://ballisticsbytheinch.com

On 12/2/2020 at 12:42 AM, a matt said:

Open major to me, there is really no reason to go under 175 and never under 170 PF.  

Sure there is.  You tune your entire system for minimal dot movement and good tracking.  You are juggling the weights. of your recoil spring and mainspring, the shape of your FPS and your load.  When everything comes together you keep it that way.  Right not that is 169 PF with 115s for me.  The sweet spot for my previous Open gun was 172.

If you shoot 124s you will need to go up in PF for no other reason than you need gas.  The more comp ports and poppels in the barrel, the more gas you need to make.  You can get away with that in 38SC.  It is much harder to do in 9mm major.  I've tried 115s, 124, and 147s.  What works the best for me is all the slow powder I can put in the case under a 115 JHP.

On 12/2/2020 at 12:42 AM, a matt said:

PractiScore shows PF of each shooter from  Nats, if anyone is interested,   Looked like some SV open s hooters ran 180+ PF along with the open shooters from the PT team.  Some or often open guns like the higher PF, it seems to clam the dots down especially with the 124’s..

Chrono at Nats was way high.  I have chrono'd 172 at multiple majors this fall, 179 at Nats.  All with same load, same lot# of powder