Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I wish I could find something to replace competitive shooting in my life.


Recommended Posts

I’m going back to racing RC buggies and truggies again. Just found out a couple of weeks ago that there’s an RC racetrack 45 minutes from my house.

 

I need to put these guys to use.

9-CD4-DE71-EAA1-409-A-9-BBC-8-BB99-A28-F

 

I just need to buy new graphene LiPo batteries and nitromethane so I can race both electric and nitro-powered classes. There are practice days and club races every weekend so I’ll be busy and not get bored.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to play a lot of pool before I got into USPSA.  The cost of entry isn't that high (you can get a decent cue and gear for a couple hundred bucks), there are pool halls everywhere, the tournament scene is pretty widespread, it's easy to get into recreationally if you get your own table or find a bar nearby that has a decent table, and (most importantly) you get to feel like Paul Newman.  It's incredibly deep, you can sink a massive amount of time into it, and there are tons of learning resources online if you like figuring things out yourself instead of taking lessons.  Sounds like it would fit the bill pretty well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, rowdyb said:

I'm 49 years old, have crap eyes and moderate health. (Crohn's disease) Though I am reasonably fit and have plenty of discretionary time and funds. Before I got sucked into competitive shooting in the course of my life I had really been into tennis (3.0), mountain biking (worked for Trek and won Super D races), motorcycles (tons of track days),trail running (sub 21 minute 5k off road), rock climbing (leading 5.10c both sport and trad) and brazilian jiu jitsu (purple belt at Atos with medals in the pan ams). Participating in all of them to a high degree of competency. I like doing stuff.

 

Looking at this list I seem to be drawn to individual things, outside things, physical things and stuff with a moderate gear requirement. And if you wanted, which I always do, a competitive side to participate in.

 

Now 8 years on in shooting sports I really wish I could find something to replace it in my life. But I don't want to go back and re-do any of my old hobbies. I'm having great difficulty in thinking of something that:

  • Is available to do where I live in San Antiono
  • NOT on a Sunday
  • That I haven't done before
  • Is physical in some way
  • Isn't a team sport
  • Doesn't have onerous gear requirements
  • Has both a recreational and competitive side

 

I really can't think of anything, but I know I want to consider other options. I thought about kart racing as there is a track near by, a nice scene in Texas but it seems really impractical/low value to the rest of my life. I really do not want to do over something I've done before. And just to make sure I checked out the climbing gyms, bjj schools, tennis clubs and biking stuff here. None of them drew me in again.

 

Don't take it personal if you reply and my reply is reasons why it won't work hahahah. But I have a block on discovering something new that fits my criteria.

 

That's an impressive list of accomplishments Rowdy.

 

Do an Ironman it checks all the boxes you listed.

You have a run/bike back ground and you swim too,.

You can do it anywhere and San Antonio/Austin has a huge multi-sport community which can make it both recreational and competitive, plenty of type A peeps to train with lol!

It is physically challenging

You seem to have the time to spend on training which is a lot.

Moderate gear requirements the bikes are super cool and you can record and track every piece of imaginable data on your garmin watch lol

It is highly individualistic and not a team sport

They have Saturday races but a lot of them are on Sundays.

 

Or look into the Tactical Games physical with shooting outdoors etc.

 

I am making this switch in the opposite direction I am new to shooting sports this year and have been doing tris for the last 8 years after getting out of drag racing.   I just cleared by bike workbench to make room for my new Dillon 750 lol! 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, rowdyb said:

Before I got sucked into competitive shooting in the course of my life I had really been into tennis (3.0)....

  • That I haven't done before

 

 

I understand that you are wanting to try something new so I am not trying to convince you otherwise. I am just sharing my very recent experiences. I am 52. I played for fun since my 20s,  "initially classified" as a 4.0 some 10 years ago and quit after one year of tourney and league play mainly because moving up would've required a lot more competitive play. For last 10 years my play time has been maybe 15 hours a year, mainly to support my wife's ongoing passion for the game. Between 'rona and other things, I've started to hit again a couple of months ago, rather short but intense workouts, just once-twice a week. I discovered two things. First, that I forgot how much I enjoyed hitting. Second, how footwork and fitness cross-talk to shooting, the agility, balance, directional changes, etc. I am having a ton of fun, and now am looking forward to hitting as much to shooting.

At almost 50 if you picked up a new technical discipline, let's be honest, would you expect to get real good at it? I started USPSA more or less seriously at 46 and it shows. With tennis, at least you have a foundation. You and I squadded together at A3 a few years back, you're in a good shape, I am sure you can push your game past 3. 

Looking at what I wrote, I guess I am trying to convince you otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in a similar situation, got into USPSA late at 48. Now at 54 it seems I need a new eye prescription every season. Thinking of polishing up the golf clubs now or resuming archery. And fyi compound bows are the PCC of archery.

Hahahaha... fuse lit

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2020 at 6:45 PM, GrumpyOne said:

Rowdy, you may laugh at this, but it fits probably 99% of your criteria...

 

Lumberjack sports. 

 

You mean like this? (Pick is from last trip to Newfoundland, Canada)

70641550_10220476333727238_5435378991097

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to think a return to something I have done before and just accepting that's how things are will put me in better stead. Or maybe honestly I'm just a little depressed? Low testosterone? Got real there for a second....

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, YVK said:

 

I understand that you are wanting to try something new so I am not trying to convince you otherwise. I am just sharing my very recent experiences. I am 52. I played for fun since my 20s,  "initially classified" as a 4.0 some 10 years ago and quit after one year of tourney and league play mainly because moving up would've required a lot more competitive play. For last 10 years my play time has been maybe 15 hours a year, mainly to support my wife's ongoing passion for the game. Between 'rona and other things, I've started to hit again a couple of months ago, rather short but intense workouts, just once-twice a week. I discovered two things. First, that I forgot how much I enjoyed hitting. Second, how footwork and fitness cross-talk to shooting, the agility, balance, directional changes, etc. I am having a ton of fun, and now am looking forward to hitting as much to shooting.

At almost 50 if you picked up a new technical discipline, let's be honest, would you expect to get real good at it? I started USPSA more or less seriously at 46 and it shows. With tennis, at least you have a foundation. You and I squadded together at A3 a few years back, you're in a good shape, I am sure you can push your game past 3. 

Looking at what I wrote, I guess I am trying to convince you otherwise.

Yeah, I could probably get to 2.5 with concerted effort. The thing that drove me from tennis after college was all the "other stuff" associated with league and club play. But you're right. Tennis would be a good fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Yeah, I could probably get to 2.5 with concerted effort. The thing that drove me from tennis after college was all the "other stuff" associated with league and club play. But you're right. Tennis would be a good fit.

 

One of us may be confusing something, or is using a different system, but usually  lower number means lower level of play

https://assets.usta.com/assets/639/15/National tennis Rating Program.pdf

 

If you were NTRP 3.0 then, you could be at least that again, likely even higher. If after college is last time you played, there's been a lot of changes in equipment. Just like USPSA, equipment makes some things easier. 

 

I don't do organized matches right now. Instead, high intensity hitting with a pro, group workouts, hitting with my kid when he's around. Lots of movement, lots or energy release, working on technique, no cares about the results, just fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...