Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I wish I could find something to replace competitive shooting in my life.

I’m going back to racing RC buggies and truggies again. Just found out a couple of weeks ago that there’s an RC racetrack 45 minutes from my house.

I need to put these guys to use.

9-CD4-DE71-EAA1-409-A-9-BBC-8-BB99-A28-F

I just need to buy new graphene LiPo batteries and nitromethane so I can race both electric and nitro-powered classes. There are practice days and club races every weekend so I’ll be busy and not get bored.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to play a lot of pool before I got into USPSA.  The cost of entry isn't that high (you can get a decent cue and gear for a couple hundred bucks), there are pool halls everywhere, the tournament scene is pretty widespread, it's easy to get into recreationally if you get your own table or find a bar nearby that has a decent table, and (most importantly) you get to feel like Paul Newman.  It's incredibly deep, you can sink a massive amount of time into it, and there are tons of learning resources online if you like figuring things out yourself instead of taking lessons.  Sounds like it would fit the bill pretty well.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, rowdyb said:

I'm 49 years old, have crap eyes and moderate health. (Crohn's disease) Though I am reasonably fit and have plenty of discretionary time and funds. Before I got sucked into competitive shooting in the course of my life I had really been into tennis (3.0), mountain biking (worked for Trek and won Super D races), motorcycles (tons of track days),trail running (sub 21 minute 5k off road), rock climbing (leading 5.10c both sport and trad) and brazilian jiu jitsu (purple belt at Atos with medals in the pan ams). Participating in all of them to a high degree of competency. I like doing stuff.

Looking at this list I seem to be drawn to individual things, outside things, physical things and stuff with a moderate gear requirement. And if you wanted, which I always do, a competitive side to participate in.

Now 8 years on in shooting sports I really wish I could find something to replace it in my life. But I don't want to go back and re-do any of my old hobbies. I'm having great difficulty in thinking of something that:

• Is available to do where I live in San Antiono
  • NOT on a Sunday
  • That I haven't done before
  • Is physical in some way
  • Isn't a team sport
  • Doesn't have onerous gear requirements
  • Has both a recreational and competitive side

I really can't think of anything, but I know I want to consider other options. I thought about kart racing as there is a track near by, a nice scene in Texas but it seems really impractical/low value to the rest of my life. I really do not want to do over something I've done before. And just to make sure I checked out the climbing gyms, bjj schools, tennis clubs and biking stuff here. None of them drew me in again.

Don't take it personal if you reply and my reply is reasons why it won't work hahahah. But I have a block on discovering something new that fits my criteria.

That's an impressive list of accomplishments Rowdy.

Do an Ironman it checks all the boxes you listed.

You have a run/bike back ground and you swim too,.

You can do it anywhere and San Antonio/Austin has a huge multi-sport community which can make it both recreational and competitive, plenty of type A peeps to train with lol!

It is physically challenging

You seem to have the time to spend on training which is a lot.

Moderate gear requirements the bikes are super cool and you can record and track every piece of imaginable data on your garmin watch lol

It is highly individualistic and not a team sport

They have Saturday races but a lot of them are on Sundays.

Or look into the Tactical Games physical with shooting outdoors etc.

I am making this switch in the opposite direction I am new to shooting sports this year and have been doing tris for the last 8 years after getting out of drag racing.   I just cleared by bike workbench to make room for my new Dillon 750 lol! 

On 11/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, rowdyb said:

Before I got sucked into competitive shooting in the course of my life I had really been into tennis (3.0)....

• That I haven't done before

I understand that you are wanting to try something new so I am not trying to convince you otherwise. I am just sharing my very recent experiences. I am 52. I played for fun since my 20s,  "initially classified" as a 4.0 some 10 years ago and quit after one year of tourney and league play mainly because moving up would've required a lot more competitive play. For last 10 years my play time has been maybe 15 hours a year, mainly to support my wife's ongoing passion for the game. Between 'rona and other things, I've started to hit again a couple of months ago, rather short but intense workouts, just once-twice a week. I discovered two things. First, that I forgot how much I enjoyed hitting. Second, how footwork and fitness cross-talk to shooting, the agility, balance, directional changes, etc. I am having a ton of fun, and now am looking forward to hitting as much to shooting.

At almost 50 if you picked up a new technical discipline, let's be honest, would you expect to get real good at it? I started USPSA more or less seriously at 46 and it shows. With tennis, at least you have a foundation. You and I squadded together at A3 a few years back, you're in a good shape, I am sure you can push your game past 3. 

Looking at what I wrote, I guess I am trying to convince you otherwise.

I'm in a similar situation, got into USPSA late at 48. Now at 54 it seems I need a new eye prescription every season. Thinking of polishing up the golf clubs now or resuming archery. And fyi compound bows are the PCC of archery.

Hahahaha... fuse lit

On 11/13/2020 at 6:45 PM, GrumpyOne said:

Rowdy, you may laugh at this, but it fits probably 99% of your criteria...

Lumberjack sports. 

You mean like this? (Pick is from last trip to Newfoundland, Canada)

70641550_10220476333727238_5435378991097

I'm starting to think a return to something I have done before and just accepting that's how things are will put me in better stead. Or maybe honestly I'm just a little depressed? Low testosterone? Got real there for a second....

18 hours ago, YVK said:

I understand that you are wanting to try something new so I am not trying to convince you otherwise. I am just sharing my very recent experiences. I am 52. I played for fun since my 20s,  "initially classified" as a 4.0 some 10 years ago and quit after one year of tourney and league play mainly because moving up would've required a lot more competitive play. For last 10 years my play time has been maybe 15 hours a year, mainly to support my wife's ongoing passion for the game. Between 'rona and other things, I've started to hit again a couple of months ago, rather short but intense workouts, just once-twice a week. I discovered two things. First, that I forgot how much I enjoyed hitting. Second, how footwork and fitness cross-talk to shooting, the agility, balance, directional changes, etc. I am having a ton of fun, and now am looking forward to hitting as much to shooting.

At almost 50 if you picked up a new technical discipline, let's be honest, would you expect to get real good at it? I started USPSA more or less seriously at 46 and it shows. With tennis, at least you have a foundation. You and I squadded together at A3 a few years back, you're in a good shape, I am sure you can push your game past 3. 

Looking at what I wrote, I guess I am trying to convince you otherwise.

Yeah, I could probably get to 2.5 with concerted effort. The thing that drove me from tennis after college was all the "other stuff" associated with league and club play. But you're right. Tennis would be a good fit.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Yeah, I could probably get to 2.5 with concerted effort. The thing that drove me from tennis after college was all the "other stuff" associated with league and club play. But you're right. Tennis would be a good fit.

One of us may be confusing something, or is using a different system, but usually  lower number means lower level of play

https://assets.usta.com/assets/639/15/National tennis Rating Program.pdf

If you were NTRP 3.0 then, you could be at least that again, likely even higher. If after college is last time you played, there's been a lot of changes in equipment. Just like USPSA, equipment makes some things easier. 

I don't do organized matches right now. Instead, high intensity hitting with a pro, group workouts, hitting with my kid when he's around. Lots of movement, lots or energy release, working on technique, no cares about the results, just fun.

• 1 month later...

Have you thought about building your own guns? I find it even more satisfying than shooting and gives you a renewed motivation to shoot. ;)

BTW: I'm in the same boat as far as eyesight and health. I still like to compete. I no longer expect a trophy, but the competitions are still a lot of fun.

EDIT:  Or you could take up shopping at the mall with your wife. :D

Edited by Dranoel

I’m in a similar situation, I stopped shooting at the end of the 2019 season, after 30 years of shooting IPSC/USPSA.

I got a mountain bike a few weeks back, I used to go to the gym a lot but all the COVID mandates made it unbearable. At my age it’s impossible for me to compete with the bike so its a recreation, not a sport for me.

I miss the social aspect of shooting, as well as the competition, but frankly at this point I can’t see anything that will replace shooting. 

I’m just going to let go of the competitive aspect of my life.

Once the COVID (and weather) starts to improve I will at least be able to break the camera out again and photograph other sports.

Edited by BritinUSA
Typo

On 11/12/2020 at 12:34 PM, Sarge said:

Long range rifle is where I would gravitate to, especially living in TX. 

^^^^ This

It's outdoors.

It's mentally challenging.

If you have reloading equipment, you are on your way....

Hitting something the size of a small hubcap (the bullseye is 10") at 1,000 yards is amazing.  Some "fun" facts....

- At 1,000 yards your heartbeat moves the point of impact 18" 

- Reading the wind is an art form and you have to be very, very good at it

- Long range rifles (the good ones) are all hand built

- At the highest point in it's trajectory a .308 bullet shot from prone position to a 1,000 yard target is 34 feet off the ground.

- Start with a long barrel.  As the throat wears out, you chop off the chamber end and rechamber it.

- Working in the "butts" (the target end of the range) gives you some amazing experiences.  It's hopefully one of the few times in your life where live rifle fire comes at you, making a miniture sonic boom which sounds like more of a snap.

- There are international competitions that level the playing field for rifles and type of ammunition.  Link to NRA Palma competition (iron sights only but can have a magnification lense in either the front or rear sight).

- You can use a scope in the Any/Any matches.

Yes, it still takes preparation.

Yes, it's a bit expensive.

Yes, there are fewer 1,000 yard ranges than pistol ranges.

Yes, it's a hell of a lot of fun.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

On 1/12/2021 at 5:16 AM, BritinUSA said:

I got a mountain bike a few weeks back, I used to go to the gym a lot but all the COVID mandates made it unbearable. At my age it’s impossible for me to compete with the bike so its a recreation, not a sport for me.

I miss the social aspect of shooting, ...

Mountain biking can be highly social too if you find a group that you like to ride with.

Archery.  Compound bows to be exact.  It's what I started doing about 2 years ago.  Unlike guns, you can shoot them in the backyard without having the cops show up.

I'm sitting on 8k primers, but I'm doing just that sitting on them.  I've been shooting in the backyard and doing some 3d matches.

You want a workout?  Go pull a 60-70 lb bow for 40-50 shots at 3d matches.

Many people put down golf but I think it says something that a lot of the best professional athletes in the world find it challenging. Plus anywhere you travel there are golf courses. I played before I got interested in shooting matches and if I  get tired of this would probably take it up again. But I'm 68 and a lot of other possibilities are too much for me.