Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I wish I could find something to replace competitive shooting in my life.

I shoot some 3d archery and would tell you to check into it. Bow hunting too, if you like to hunt. 3d is a lot like uspsa in the gear dept, you can spend some or a ton. Could also shoot indoor archery, but Idk how all that is going right now with the covid crap.

Another plus with archery is that you practice in your yard, depending on you neighbors,  or in the house/garage 

Good luck in your search

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got further into air guns and shoot field target with a Steyr and 16-50x scope. You have to build a position and hit a gnat at various yardage from 10-55. Holding a 10# gun takes some strength but admittedly I'm one of the younger guys at the matches, definitely AARP set. If you use a springer then you get that 30-40# cocking effort to boot. 

So the progression is 3-Gun > PRS > British 12 foot pound air guns > colostomy bag throwing 

Still I can do it at home on my DIY range, quality pellets cost 3 cents and there is no likelihood of it getting banned anytime soon. In fact it may have a whole lot of new participants coming into it soon....

Frankly with the Summer weather in Texas I'd build an indoor home gym (or just get the gear and a spare room) since it's too hot half the year anyway. 30-minutes in a gym probably beats an hour doing something "fun" for exercise. 

28 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Wait, what. lol is that what those old people at the mall are training for?

Yeah, the championship is a point series that ends in a winner takes all on Black Friday lol

But seriously, there are professional walking competitions and from what I've heard it's actually really hard as you have to sort of run while leaving one foot in the ground.

10 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Yeah, the championship is a point series that ends in a winner takes all on Black Friday lol

But seriously, there are professional walking competitions and from what I've heard it's actually really hard as you have to sort of run while leaving one foot in the ground.

I have seen speed walking or power walking, it's in the Olympics. The guys doing it did not look healthy at all. One dude went down looked like he was going to die. It's really weird to watch. 

6 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I'm 49 years old, have crap eyes and moderate health. (Crohn's disease) Though I am reasonably fit and have plenty of discretionary time and funds. Before I got sucked into competitive shooting in the course of my life I had really been into tennis (3.0), mountain biking (worked for Trek and won Super D races), motorcycles (tons of track days),trail running (sub 21 minute 5k off road), rock climbing (leading 5.10c both sport and trad) and brazilian jiu jitsu (purple belt at Atos with medals in the pan ams). Participating in all of them to a high degree of competency. I like doing stuff.

Looking at this list I seem to be drawn to individual things, outside things, physical things and stuff with a moderate gear requirement. And if you wanted, which I always do, a competitive side to participate in.

With your past activities, you might want to check out CrossFit type gyms.  I inadvertently get involved a year ago and is a lot of fun and seems to check a lot of your boxes.  Besides getting fit, stronger, faster etc. there really is a community element so you'll make a lot of new friends too.  That was a pleasant bonus for me.

Why not reassess your priorities associated with Practical Shooting and adjust your engagement level to accommodate your new priorities? I have seen a lot of people burn out on hobbies because they don't adjust their performance expectations based on their ever changing priorities. To me, the top priority for a hobby is for it to be Fun followed closely by it being personally rewarding. If you are not getting those two basic things out of the hobby of practical shooting then it sounds like your priorities are not in alignment with reality. 

9 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

not in alignment with reality.

I just want something new. But shooting does check so many boxes for me, it is super duper hard to replace all it provides. I hate living in the same town after a few years, I change cars or motorcycles every couple years or sooner. I just like change. So for me to have been in shooting for 8 years is miraculous. It's not that I'm unhappy with shooting it's just the lust for something new. New things are my siren call.

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

Not what I consider a sport.  Most of us are too old to try out for American Gladiator or whatever cross fitters compete at! 

It's not for everyone.  The definition for a sport is: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment".  Personally, I don't go to CrossFit competitions, I just measure my own personal progress and abilities.  The serious guys go to regional, and/or national CrossFit events.

Most fitness guys have probably heard of "The Murph."  It's named after Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy who came up with it to maintain fitness.  It just so happens to be a very "CrossFit" type of workout.  There's a lot more movements though like olympic lifting as well as a lot of gymnastic movements.  Some of the elite CrossFit athletes can squat 500# and run a sub 5 minute mile in the same day.  How many athletes in other sports can do that?

I'm seeing more older shooters gravitating to Precision Rifle Shooting.  No running and gunning, still shooting, just not as physically intense.  I'm a super senior but I'm not that far gone yet.

Although I’m certain I’m not as physically fit as you seem to be I think we’ve enjoyed some similar hobbies. When I was young I was involved in karate and Kung fu, I’ve been shooting my whole life and love bicycling (road type).

Have you considered photography? It’s another type of shooting. I discovered and explored things and places I never never would have otherwise. It can be physically demanding or not at all. Unfortunately, like most hobbies it can become a money pit. 

Disc (frisbee) golf. Astonishingly fun. Meets all your criteria. Just need a couple discs, a way to carry them, and some sneakers. Recreational or competitive.  Looks like 10 different courses in SA alone, plus a dozen more within a short drive.

12 hours ago, rowdyb said:

what the heck would I do with a boat?? it meets none of the criteria hahaha.

Competition bass fishing of course.  You get to wear a jersey plastered with logos, drive all over the country going to matches, er tournaments, scrounge around for bait sponsors and spend your non-match weekends sitting behind a table at Cabelas as a 'Pro', telling people what crap to buy that will make them fish better.  With a name like 'Rowdy', it's like a free backstory for the ESPN Ocho announcers..

:D

Sex...

• Is available to do where I live in San Antonio..........It's available all over the country. I'm sure it's being done in San Antonio
  • NOT on a Sunday.......OK. Even God rested on the 7th day.
  • That I haven't done before.........Only you can answer this one.😆
  • Is physical in some way....... Oh yeah. Way physical
  • Isn't a team sport........ It can be but usually isn't. 
  • Doesn't have onerous gear requirements.......maybe a small toy or two and a bottle of wine
  • Has both a recreational and competitive side.......... You can keep score if you want it to be competitive

There you go. It meets all of your requirements. Enjoy ! B)

36 minutes ago, Youngeyes said:

Sex...

• Is available to do where I live in San Antonio..........It's available all over the country. I'm sure it's being done in San Antonio
  • NOT on a Sunday.......OK. Even God rested on the 7th day.
  • That I haven't done before.........Only you can answer this one.😆
  • Is physical in some way....... Oh yeah. Way physical
  • Isn't a team sport........ It can be but usually isn't. 
  • Doesn't have onerous gear requirements.......maybe a small toy or two and a bottle of wine
  • Has both a recreational and competitive side.......... You can keep score if you want it to be competitive

There you go. It meets all of your requirements. Enjoy ! B)

Problem solved. Might as well close the thread.

I love this thread !

Every business lunch or meeting new people I ask about their hobbies. I also want more to do.

Before kids, wife and mortgage I used to fly down to San Antonio and canoe with friends. Kayaking has been mentioned but it was, back in time, more of a canoe area. A day or two in New Braunfels and we would drive to the Upper and Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande.

Magnificent country!! If the water was up, the water was fast and fun. And if water was low it was tricky just manuvering around rocks. Definitely Canoes not Kayaks.

Spent the last 30_+ years in S. Florida. Work out 6 days and week and shoot on the 7th, but there is still spare time ….  So I continue to look and ask.  I am a half mile from the ocean. But I don’t see any small 2 or one person sail boats. At the beach I see guys Parasailing and WOW that looks cool, but I have not tried it.

The big one is road and off road biking. Have to admit that I am terrified of biking with the planet X drivers down here. I am NOT going to share a road with people who never check left when turning right.

One son talked me into buying a quality camera. Nice for family events, but I don’t get it?

I’ve even Googled “Hobbies”.

Will continue to follow for active and outdoor events.

thx jon