Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to crimp to on a coated bullet - 38SC?

Bammo

Loading 38 Short Colts in my S&W  627.  Load is AS30 (Clays) behind a coated 160gr RN projectile with a lube groove similar to that pictured.  I've found I need to use a bit more crimp in the 38SC's  to get consistent results than in the 357 loads.  (Long time reloader but new to loading for revolvers).   This is using the Lee bullet seat/crimp die not a separate taper crimp die as those are unobtanium at the moment.

Question is - should I be crimping around the lube groove?  I've been seating the bullet so the crimp is above the groove but I see some photos where the crimp is in the groove itself - I was thinking this might not be a good idea if it causes leading but hoping someone could educate me?  I haven't settled on the load yet so can still tweak the OAL  / load as required.

unnamed.png

First its best to seat and crimp in separate steps. You can do both in one step. But separate will produce better and more consistent results.

Seat bullet to desired length. Then apply a  taper crimp. In this case you need a little more than just removing the flair. Just don't "cut" the coating.

I don't shoot revolver.  That being said, many revolver shooter say they need more than a taper crimp to keep the bullets from inching out.

I'll also say that for some of my pistols I taper crimp enough to actually make a dent in the bullet.  I do that to prevent setback.  Whenever I've pulled a few bullets to check, the coating was not cut.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I don't shoot revolver.  That being said, many revolver shooter say they need more than a taper crimp to keep the bullets from inching out.

I'll also say that for some of my pistols I taper crimp enough to actually make a dent in the bullet.  I do that to prevent setback.  Whenever I've pulled a few bullets to check, the coating was not cut.

Revolvers typically use roll crimp to prevent setback.  Semi-autos use taper crimp, but only to remove the flare on the case mouth.  If you're relying on crimp to prevent setback in a semi-auto, your cases aren't being sized adequately.  You should have a .002-.003 interference fit between bullet and case to prevent setback.  Taper crimp isn't supposed to do that, and it won't.

4 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

You should have a .002-.003 interference fit between bullet and case to prevent setback.  Taper crimp isn't supposed to do that, and it won't.

I have that at least ltdmstr.  I crimp that tightly in 40sw for my TS.  TC bullets hit the feed ramp hard and I occasionally had some setback.  The heavy crimp did cure that.

Sizing prevents setback. In this case (Revolver)crimp prevents bullet pull.

I taper crimp my 9mm ammo as pictured above for a 929 with no issues.

Edited by AHI