Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s faster, your draw or your reload?

Cuz

Standing 30’ from a plate rack, and only counting hits, what’s faster, your draw, or your reload?

For me, my draw is slightly faster than my reload, but both are pathetic at over 2 seconds. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

usually when talking speed you don't ask on a challenging target hahaha. ask on a 7yard open target and you'll get more sure answers. hahahah

sure, everyone will be faster on a wide open target at 7 yards. But, I was practicing on a plate rack today and comparing my draw to hit vs my reload to hit times when I about it, so that was how I asked. Plates are 8 inches, but I think that’s a pretty standard size for a plate rack. 

5 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Ok, when I do a 3, reload 3 on a plate rack my draw and reload are within 0.080 of each other. Less than a tenth, all around 1.25 for both actions.

Yes, but is one consistently faster than the other?  Or do they interchange?  Mine are also about a tenth apart, but in the 2.6ish range. 

On 11/11/2020 at 2:26 PM, rowdyb said:

usually when talking speed you don't ask on a challenging target hahaha. ask on a 7yard open target and you'll get more sure answers. hahahah

AKA 4 Aces😆.....................................................................................El Prez.

I think my reloads are faster. I work on my reloads more than my draw, because in a match I usually have two to three steps to get the draw done. The reload for me is always one step when leaving a position. I need to work on the draw for classifiers and standing reloads. 

9 hours ago, Boudreaux78 said:

I think my reloads are faster. I work on my reloads more than my draw, because in a match I usually have two to three steps to get the draw done. The reload for me is always one step when leaving a position. I need to work on the draw for classifiers and standing reloads. 

have you checked them against the timer in practice to confirm what you think?  If they are within .5 seconds apart I bet it would be tough to tell without a timer. Sometimes for me my draw seems painfully slow, but then the timer tells me it was one of my better draws. 

them I remind myself that “slow is smooth, and smooth is fast”. 

If I'm doing something like 4 aces up close where I can go as fast as I can. I can hit under .75 on the draw, the reload....I can't. I've hit .9x reloads before but typically there a little over 1. I'm sure it's possible to hit reloads as fast as my draw but I don't see the point in putting in the kind of time it would take to get that number for those few tenth's that'll really only help me on a few classifiers. 

Also, when I really push speed the reload is the one that falls apart first. I think I'd prefer slightly "slow" reloads every time over smocking reloads with occasional screw ups. Especially if slow is only a few tenths. 

16 hours ago, Cuz said:

have you checked them against the timer in practice to confirm what you think?  If they are within .5 seconds apart I bet it would be tough to tell without a timer. Sometimes for me my draw seems painfully slow, but then the timer tells me it was one of my better draws. 

I checked the video during matches and my reload is definitely faster, but I believe it’s because I’m focusing on that lately in practice. I’m sure with some work, my draw will improve. 

• 1 month later...

my draw is about 66% of my reload time... 
I mean in it's simple parts the draw is one directional movement, and the reload is a lot more movement than simply having a two directional movement. 
I imagine that if your reload is the same as your draw you might physically be capable of an even faster draw... IDK if that actually proves out though...  

On 11/18/2020 at 4:27 AM, Cuz said:

Checking against the timer is nearly biblical. 
What i think is still an indoctrination is, "slow is smooth" though... IMO slow is still going to be slow, and fast is still going to be faster...
If you start learning how it feels to drive 120mph and you begin to not be freaking out at that speed, then when you slow down to 99mph you all of the sudden feel more in control... and yet 99 is not slow. It's just that it's less reckless than 120 if that makes any sense... You have to drive faster to learn what driving faster is like.      

• 1 month later...

I like the comparison to driving. When you grow up driving on 55 mph roads and then you are suddenly driving in SO Cal at 85 mph just to not get run over, it seems daunting. After a while, 85 seems normal and 65 seems super slow. 

I think I’m going to use this in my practice. Thank you!!! Mental game always needs work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

They’re actually coming pretty close together with my open gun.  Live fire draw is reliably between .9-1s, and reload is solidly at 1.1

I’d be very happy to get both mine under 2 seconds. Now that winter is winding down I hope to get out and start practicing again. I should have been practicing both over the winter but I never seemed to find the time. 

• 1 month later...

Draw is about a 1.6, reload is also about a 1.6. But I just recently, this season actually started seriously doing practice and have seen substantial improvement in just over 3 months. What has helped me become overall faster on stages is being able to not think about the previous, or next stage. Just focus on the stage I'm at. I find that makes everything smoother. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...