Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s faster, your draw or your reload?

Cuz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My draw is definitely faster, but on a plate rank I'm making sure I see a good sight picture so it probably slows down to around the speed of my reload, maybe still a little faster. On an open target at close range, I can hit sub 1 seconds for a draw but I don't think I've ever hit a reload that quick on my best day. Aside from classifiers and very specific circumstances, I think chasing super quick draws and reloads hits a point of diminishing returns. 

What got my reloads quick was being aware of my weak hand speed. I think we are so used to letting our weak hand fall at the speed of gravity that we don't even realize we are not pushing that hand down. We are pretty good at pushing our strong hand down to the gun on draws, but I think many people don't push the weak hand on reloads.  Just SLAP that hand as fast as you can on the magazine , without pulling the mag out, until you are sure you are really pushing that hand and not letting it just drop . Goodluck

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Skeeter44 said:

Is the draw from hands at waist or hands on head? Strangely, my hands on head draw is faster than at waist, but my reloads are faster than either lol

This seems to always be the case because you can whip your hands down faster onto the gun, rather than raising them up over the gun and then down onto the gun to get your grip before drawing.  I don't know of anyone who is faster from "hands relaxed at sides" than they are with "wrists above shoulders".  But, then again, we are just a bunch of B, C, and D shooters.

And, my draw is still faster.  I really wish I wasn't too lazy to get some dry fire practice in.  I understand the "Burkett Reloads" drill is great, but there is always something else that needs to be done...

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

This seems to always be the case because you can whip your hands down faster onto the gun, rather than raising them up over the gun and then down onto the gun to get your grip before drawing.  I don't know of anyone who is faster from "hands relaxed at sides" than they are with "wrists above shoulders".  But, then again, we are just a bunch of B, C, and D shooters.

And, my draw is still faster.  I really wish I wasn't too lazy to get some dry fire practice in.  I understand the "Burkett Reloads" drill is great, but there is always something else that needs to be done...

Makes sense I guess....

My hands below waist draw is way faster than surrender draw. From surrender you have to take hands down to the gun then bring the gun up. From below waist all you have to do is bring the gun up so it should be faster or you aren't doing it right. Also my draw is faster than my reloads 

1 hour ago, Lightj75 said:

My hands below waist draw is way faster than surrender draw. From surrender you have to take hands down to the gun then bring the gun up. From below waist all you have to do is bring the gun up so it should be faster or you aren't doing it right. Also my draw is faster than my reloads 

from below the waist, if your not bringing your hands up, and then down onto the gun to grip it, then it sounds like you may be scooping it out of the holster.  Hopefully you don’t scoop it up and toss it someday. 

Same here that would be unfortunate. I shoot CO so I have a full holster I guess you might have to worry about that more with a race holster or drawing from concealment. The thought has crossed my mind though but I've drawn so much in dryfire now it's not as much of a concern as it was when I first started using a scoop draw.

8 hours ago, Lightj75 said:

Same here that would be unfortunate. I shoot CO so I have a full holster I guess you might have to worry about that more with a race holster or drawing from concealment. The thought has crossed my mind though but I've drawn so much in dryfire now it's not as much of a concern as it was when I first started using a scoop draw.

Yeah I was not allowed to run a holster on the range if i used a scoop draw so i learned the slow way lol

7 hours ago, Skeeter44 said:

Yeah I was not allowed to run a holster on the range if i used a scoop draw so i learned the slow way lol

I think a scoop draw is one of those things that seems faster as your starting, but as you get better you realize you can draw faster (with practice) the traditional way. 

8 hours ago, Cuz said:

I think a scoop draw is one of those things that seems faster as your starting, but as you get better you realize you can draw faster (with practice) the traditional way. 

I believe you're probably correct I'm actually to the point now where I'm leaning towards developing a more traditional draw because the little bit of speed I gain isn't worth as much to me as getting a perfect grip index Everytime which In my mind seems harder to do with a scoop draw So that may be something I test out 

• 1 year later...

By far my draw

if i really hammer reloads i can get it under a second but to me it isnt that important to be under a second reload other than classifiers

i can do a consistent.75 draw out to 15

1 to 25 and about 1.2 30 with irons

with dot bout a sec on distance .75 closer

my average load is 1.1 ive gotten it down to .9 but its not that important to me to hammer it standing

moving reload is much more important 

no one wins a match on draw or reload

i watch tons of top guys and none are drawing like lightning most the time unless its steel challenge

you look at the majority of stages most involve some movement to begin shooting after draw

most stage have ample moving room for a load

unless you are locap use your time to get something down we do a ton of which is transitions

if u get a guy shooting lets say 14 shots but 30 transitions then another 20s on everything the gun blasting fast looks impressive and like he burns it down but the 20 consistently on everything will win everytime 

you can get all of those things by doing a draw at all different hand positions 3 targers a yard apart 2 shots each reload two shots each

work the par down at 0-25 yards live and dry

6 minutes ago, PA_USPSA said:

My draw is 1.0 seconds and my reload is 1.5 seconds.

Damn, my times are pitiful. 
Good thing I play this game more as a social occasion. 

• 4 weeks later...

My reload is way faster than my draw, but that’s because I thought my draw was fine when starting out, and I focused on reloads, practicing every night for a year, then I switched my setup last year and my draw time is super slow. 1.5 draw, .9 reload. On average.

• 3 weeks later...