Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic ear muff recommendation

DeadFox

looking for a new set of electronic muffs. General range, 2-gun and speed steel. 

My preferred ear pro approach right now is a good set of foam plugs with electronic muffs over the top to add a little protection and amplify low level sounds so I can hear with the plugs in. 

I have peltor tactical sports, they don’t amplify enough for me to hear well with foam plugs in. But the sound cutoff is great I can carry on a conversation at the range. My cheap caldwell muffs amplify much better, I can hear with plugs in but they chop off all sound whenever a shot goes off so it makes it hard to follow conversation. 

I don’t care so much about the NRR, I want to hear better with foam plugs mostly. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

The MSA Sordins and Pro Ears Gold will do what you want.  They don't cut in and out like lower end ones do.

For me, the Pro Ears Gold are better at noise cancellation without any added hiss.  However, the build quality of the headband is lacking.  Since it's all plastic.

The MSA Sordins feel more sturdy and collapse down smaller.  But the original foam ear cups need improvement, so most people pay extra to get the gel cups.  I get a hiss in all of mine when I turn up the volume.

I ran the peltor tactical pros until they died 

now I’m using the tactical 500

with the gel ear seals 

they both worked well without earplugs for open, and standing next to a 50 Barrett😡

the head band on the tac pro’s are way more comfortable, the one on the tac 500 sucks

Thanks for the suggestions guys. To clarify I’m  not looking for what works without earplugs or what has great db reduction. Do the tactical pros, 300’s, 500’s amplify loud enough for use with plugs? I’d hate to spend the money and find out they don’t amplify any more than my peltor tactical sports that I already have. 

I’ll look at the MSA and pro ears, appreciate it. 

I would stay away from the Peltor Tactical Series. The sound quality, noise reduction, and fit are great, but they are cheap garbage. Mine, and several of my coworkers all used them, and they all broke. The plastic piece that secures the headband to the wire piece cracked in all of them within six months. I was able to fix mine by replacing the band with an old Howard Leight headband, but a few months after I did that, the bluetooth function stopped working. I think in total, there were five of us who ended up with broken headbands on our Tactical 500s. I was the only one who had failed electronics. It's a bummer, because they were really good ears!

Also stay away from Safariland Liberator HP. Well made and comfortable, but the sound quality is ridiculously bad. 

So far, MSA have been the best, but they are a bit loud if shooting indoors.

Just now, SJBriggs said:

I would stay away from the Peltor Tactical Series. The sound quality, noise reduction, and fit are great, but they are cheap garbage. Mine, and several of my coworkers all used them, and they all broke. The plastic piece that secures the headband to the wire piece cracked in all of them within six months. I was able to fix mine by replacing the band with an old Howard Leight headband, but a few months after I did that, the bluetooth function stopped working. I think in total, there were five of us who ended up with broken headbands on our Tactical 500s. I was the only one who had failed electronics. It's a bummer, because they were really good ears!

Also stay away from Safariland Liberator HP. Well made and comfortable, but the sound quality is ridiculously bad. 

So far, MSA have been the best, but they are a bit loud if shooting indoors.

I guess me and the shooters I know got unicorns because I have had two pair of tactical Pros for 6-8 years and they are fantastic.

Just now, Sarge said:

I guess me and the shooters I know got unicorns because I have had two pair of tactical Pros for 6-8 years and they are fantastic.

Not sure about anyone else, I'm just putting my experience out there. I do wear them daily, so maybe they just weren't up to the task. My Peltors were purchased about three years ago, so maybe manufacturing processes changed. 

Pro ears gold, pay extra and get the gel cups. I have had mine for about 6 years no problems. The batteries are kind of weird, they take size N. I double plug when shooting indoors outside there fine. Don’t remember the decibel rating, but I believe it’s 28. I do remember when I searched for electronic protection they were one of the highest available.

2 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

I broke the headband (same attachment area) on my Tactical 500's at Nationals.  Copious quantities of superglue injected into the space have been holding OK since.

Double Alpha is best fir me in terms of amplification, very long battery life, noise reduction, comfortable for extended wear time and very reasonable price w/ silicon gel ear pads already included. 
MSA for its high price dont last and batt life is not as good as DAA. 
Peltor 500 has very short battery life. The plastic that holds the wire headband easily breaks. I secured them w/ small screws. No glue could fix them. Not good for its price. Also too heavy to wear for extended time. Short batt life. 

For battery on the Peltor 500, I use this rechargeable battery pack and plug it in to USB after every day of use, headset lasts a full day. Something to try. 3M ALPHA1100 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack for 3M WorkTunes Wireless, Peltor Sport Tactical https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDJHT5Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_U2DRFbFK3CK3D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 month later...

I use the Peltor 500s, and added the gel ear seals. I double up with these earplugs: https://www.amazon.com/3M-OCS1135-Yellow-Neons-Earplugs/dp/B008MCUOH2/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=ear+plugs+3M+foam&qid=1608057880&sr=8-6

That setup offers great noise protection, and the ability to have a conversation.

They have been durable for me, and I've used (lightly abused!) them a bunch, over the last two years. Both when shooting, and doing yard work.  The headband is annoying (the style on 100s is much better, but those only offer a 22dB NRR), but I fixed that by adding one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079WV2KN3?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

With the headband cover they are comfortable to wear all day long.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:03 AM, DeadFox said:

looking for a new set of electronic muffs. General range, 2-gun and speed steel. 

My preferred ear pro approach right now is a good set of foam plugs with electronic muffs over the top to add a little protection and amplify low level sounds so I can hear with the plugs in. 

I have peltor tactical sports, they don’t amplify enough for me to hear well with foam plugs in. But the sound cutoff is great I can carry on a conversation at the range. My cheap caldwell muffs amplify much better, I can hear with plugs in but they chop off all sound whenever a shot goes off so it makes it hard to follow conversation. 

I don’t care so much about the NRR, I want to hear better with foam plugs mostly. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

I got a pair of peltor tac sports and paid to get the gel ear cups right before nationals this year. BEST DECISION EVER. I don’t have to double up anymore and the electronics on it are wayy better than Howard lights. 

• 2 months later...