Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using a Chrono indoors..weird results....

I used my Caldwell G2 indoors for the first time today and got results waaaaay off what I was expecing.  I was testing some 125gr FP with 4 grains of Titegroup out of a Shadow 2, so a 4.89" barrel.  Load data that I had seen from Hodgdon had 4.1 grains out of a 4 in barrel at 1057.  I was getting 650!  Chrono lights turned on, etc.  I had to sit fairly close to the chrono but made that change in the app.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?  I did not have any factory ammo to test against, and unfortunately did not have any rounds that I had chrono'd before to compare previous results.  

I was using the built in lights on the G2, but is it possible that it was a low light issue even with using them?  I have only ever used this unit outdoors, so just not sure....

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, if you are indoors under fluorescent lighting, you should have some form of shroud or cover (or box) over the unit, with the chrono lighting being the only thing the chrono sees.  You know, the "box" at the chrono stage type setup.

• 2 months later...

You not only want to have chronograph lights set up but also turn off any nearby flourescent lights. Experiment a little to see what affects your set up Yes this can be a problem when your at a range with other people shooting, or where you can't control the lighting. I've found that as long as the lane I'm using and the two adjacent lanes have lights out my chronograph works, and it is OK to have lights behind so long as the light does not directly shine on the chronograph.

2 hours ago, Ronemus said:

They chrono should be at least 5' from the muzzle of handguns to avoid false triggering from muzzle blast, and 15' for rifles; you can get closer if you install baffles with a small opening to shoot through.

The standard is 10 feet for pistol.