Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup alternatives??

mniels

So I have been married to Titegroup for quite some time because I had a ton of it.  However, stock is running low, so I am looking for some possible alternatives (at least what can be acquired at the moment.)

Currently, I am running Xtreme 124gr FPs out of a Shadow 2.  Reasonably happy with it at 4.0 grains.  Is anyone else running something that they really like with 124s?  Primers are all over the place at the moment, just been picking up what I can, so I have a mix of CCI, WInchester, and Federal at the moment.

Just seeing what other options are out there that I might like...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Win 231 & HP38 (same powder, different can) are really close to TiteGroup and cleaner... although not as clean as N310 or N320. I don't think you'll see any fall off in load performance with 231/HP38.

I am happy with WST and will probably experiment with e3 in that load.  I wasn't unhappy with Bullseye in 9mm 124 fmj.

If I were constrained to powders with manufacturer published data, I'd probably try and be happy with American Select, AA#2, Clean Shot, Sport Pistol, n320, CFE Pistol, etc.

Edited by johnmyster

I recently ran into the same issue of finding Titegroup and tried out AA2.  I tried 3.8 grains under 124 grain RMR plated round nose.  The rounds were very accurate and the felt recoil impulse was very good.  I may be sticking with AA2 if and when things return back to normal.

I have TG, N320, HP38, Sport Pistol, Clean Shot, W231, and probably other powders that I forget.  If I load them all to the same PF, I don't notice enough of a difference to make it worth going nuts over what powder you're using.  Some are cleaner than others.  That's just my opinion..  But if you think a specific powder is gonna allow you put holes in the center of a target, by all means use that powder. 

4 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

I have TG, N320, HP38, Sport Pistol, Clean Shot, W231, and probably other powders that I forget.  If I load them all to the same PF, I don't notice enough of a difference to make it worth going nuts over what powder you're using.  Some are cleaner than others.  That's just my opinion..  But if you think a specific powder is gonna allow you put holes in the center of a target, by all means use that powder. 

What he said 👆🏻

BA-9 1/2 performed excellent for me as an alternative to N320, HP38 and Sport Pistol are also great with better accuracy from HP38 and 9 1/2  in the 130-135 Power factor range. I still use Tightgroup since I have a huge supply. If I could only have 1 powder for 9mm I'd get BA-9 1/2.

9 1/2 is good but only available in 1.1lb bottles. 

sport pistol is good as well. It mist a fine dust on the press while reloading.  

I use SP but wouldn’t worry about using either. 

N320 is also gtg!