Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LT's revolver training

Lesliet

I've been working on loadings for .45 ACP to use in my 625 revolver for the coming season. Have found that slugs that I can crimp into either a crimp groove ( like .45 LC) or ones that have 2 lube grooves allow me to make ammo that can be reloaded into the gun rapidly without hanging up on case mouths. So, today, I started with ladder tests ( accuracy work, simultaneously, by shooting groups over the chrony) and established several powders that can be used as alternates in this time of scarcity. Target was ~ 650 fps with a 230 grain slug.  

Once that was done, and the data recorded, I settled in to doing reload drills.  15 yard USPSA targets, X2, about 10 yards apart. Draw and place two rounds in either "A" box, reload, 2 in the second "A" box. Ambient temp around freezing, but nice and sunny. Best times today were ~ 7.26, with "bad" reloads bumping it up around 8.30. 

I've made a commitment to running only revolvers from October, 2020 to October 2021, so while you may think me mad, I expect my skills will improve greatly in the areas of trigger control, accuracy, and reload speeds.  Right now, I'm not yet pressing hard on training, plan is to take November and December as largely rest and recuperate from 2020, and produce as much ammunition of consistent loadings as possible for the coming season.  I will still hit the local "speed steel" matches, and do a bit of dry fire, and live fire as the weather allows. Training will ramp up from there, with the goal of being competitive at the matches in September/October of 2021. I'd love to go down to Arizona, and not embarrass myself too badly...

Will attempt to get some videos up here for critique on my draw and reloads, as weather and equipment allow. I'm well aware of being at a disadvantage running a 6-shooter for Steel Challenge and USPSA matches, but I think the importance it places on accuracy will be beneficial for me, long term. I'm planning to purchase a Super GP in 9mm at some point in 2021, but that is more likely to be my 2022 rig, once a good loading and all the necessary mods are established for it. 

I welcome any feedback you all may have, and may your coming seasons reward you with further growth!