Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$5k+ for 9mm 2011, who is buying them?

Firebull

Custom 2011 makers have been marketing 9mm pistols that cost $5k+ in the last couple of years and much to my surprise, there are buyers for them.  These are competition pistols (despite the makers’ claims they could be used for carry) and the only game where they would shine is the Tactical division in 3 Gun.  In my 4 years of 3 Gun shooting, however, I have yet to encounter a set up where one would gain significant advantage from a high end 2011 pistol.

Just curious who are buying these ultra expensive gamer pistols.  Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half of all Limited shooters last year shot Minor.  Some of them were noobs put there because they didn't have enough gear for Production, but plenty of them are people that just like shooting 9mm Limited guns.   Maybe you won't win Nationals shooting Minor (although Nils came close), but most of us are just shooting for fun anyway.

It's just another recreational activity to burn money on.  Some people have the excess funding to buy expensive motorcycles, boats, or do other costly recreational activities like skiing.  I've always looked at this sport as just another outlet for that type of spending behavior.  

Maybe you should take a look at the golf clubs in the bags of the "average" golfers at a local country club.  Most have the money to buy better gear, but not necessarily the time or energy to actually practice.  I'm always upgrading my gear, when I should be buying more ammo and practicing, but that's just not as much fun during the cold winter months in New England.  It's easier to sit at home behind a computer and spend money in the hopes of improving my game.

Talking about 9mm gamer guns, few people on Brianenos mention the Nighthawk double stack with IOS sights (the most ingenious iron/reddot site swapping mechanism -- far superior/durable to the screwed-on plates you find on Staccatos, Atlas, Akais, etc. in my humble opinion).  Any thoughts as to why?

2 hours ago, Firebull said:

Custom 2011 makers have been marketing 9mm pistols that cost $5k+ in the last couple of years and much to my surprise, there are buyers for them.  These are competition pistols (despite the makers’ claims they could be used for carry) and the only game where they would shine is the Tactical division in 3 Gun.  In my 4 years of 3 Gun shooting, however, I have yet to encounter a set up where one would gain significant advantage from a high end 2011 pistol.

Just curious who are buying these ultra expensive gamer pistols.  Thanks.

You may not see the advantage but the top tier of 3 gun shooters very clearly do.

5 minutes ago, Firebull said:

Talking about 9mm gamer guns, few people on Brianenos mention the Nighthawk double stack with IOS sights (the most ingenious iron/reddot site swapping mechanism -- far superior/durable to the screwed-on plates you find on Staccatos, Atlas, Akais, etc. in my humble opinion).  Any thoughts as to why?

Because open guys don't like slide riders, 9mm sucks for limited, 2011s are not legal for carry ops, so it is gun without a real place in USPSA and USPSA is where most Enos members play

I built a double stack 9mm on a Phoenix Trinity frame a couple years ago to use for 3 gun.  But I just simply don't have the time.  I've used it to shoot limited minor on occasion, but as you'd expect, scores are better shooting 40.  Having said that, it's probably the nicest shooting 1911/2011 I own.  And it does see quite a bit of use for practice and steel.  I have zero regrets on the build, and zero intention of ever selling it. 

IMG_E0180.jpg

35 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

You think that a $5K competition firearm is expensive?

LOL

You must not have ever priced an entry level Kolar, Krieghoff, or Perazzi shotgun.  $5000 x 2 is still about $3000 short of the price of admission.

And a custom bolt gun with decent glass is up near 10k. 

9 hours ago, shred said:

Half of all Limited shooters last year shot Minor.  Some of them were noobs put there because they didn't have enough gear for Production, but plenty of them are people that just like shooting 9mm Limited guns.   Maybe you won't win Nationals shooting Minor (although Nils came close), but most of us are just shooting for fun anyway.

I'll never believe this. No one is shooting limited that isn't a noob or just dicking around and doesn't care about their scores. 

18 minutes ago, waktasz said:

I'll never believe this. No one is shooting limited that isn't a noob or just dicking around and doesn't care about their scores. 

I've shot at quite a few clubs in the south and mid south where half the Lim shooters are shooting 9 minor or purpose, week in and week out.