Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stroked

Boy

I read through the other topic and didn’t see a simple enough answer that I liked.

The dustcover on the front of the slide is what impacts the frame and stops the slide’s travel.

In most cases, stroking is when the part of the dustcover that hits the frame is shortened (like by cutting the dustcover where the red line indicates in the picture).

This allows the slide to travel further before it hits the frame.

Where as previously the slide may have traveled 2 inches when pulled back - after stroking it may travel 2.3 inches.

This does several things.

Allows the recoil spring to be used for a longer period of time before the slide bottoms out.

Gives more time for the magazine to properly position the next round.

Gives more time for the spent brass to be ejected.

Potential Drawbacks:

Time out of battery will be longer.

If cut too far, recoil springs may bind before the slide bottoms out.  If binding, recoil springs either need to be cut or a new slide needs to be purchased and a shorter stroke completed.

If cut too far, the slide might hang up on the barrel near the rear of the travel.  I haven’t seen a gun this happened to that I couldn’t fix by polishing a select angle on either the slide or barrel or both.

Personally, I will not compete with an unstroked gun.  They just aren’t as reliable and they aren’t as straight up and down in recoil as stroked guns are.  

DF32835C-0FBD-4CC3-8280-D04AEFDE94C9.jpeg

Edited by Whoops!

Basicly cutting the spring tunnel back to allow more rearward travel to add dwell time for round to cone up in the mag and reliably feed. I have a shorty open gun with a commander slide we stroked because we needed the slide to clear the disconnector and move far enough back to get the round to have enough room to feed/eject.

• 1 month later...

I stroked my last open gun

I cut the reverse plug towards the muzzle and milled the rails back toward the hammer the same same amount that I took of the reverse plug area.

This has worked for me.  Started a new build and will not stroke this gun so I can run them both and see if I notice a difference.

I'm a weirdo.  Stroked guns and variable power recoil springs feel bizarre to me.  All I care about is the dot coming back to 'normal' as quickly as possible.  When your snake eyes double tap is perfect, who cares about the rest of it.

• 1 year later...
On 10/21/2022 at 3:03 AM, Gunsbygiz said:

Can someone confirm if you must cut the frame rails in addition to the dust cover and reverse plug, or is it one or all 3?

thanks in advance 

on a 19/2011 you have to EITHER recut the rails or extend the slots they run in inside the slide, Atlas extended the slots inside the slide on the one I looked at. 

on a Tanfoglio you just have to cut the dust cover, 

In either case you need to make sure your springs do go to coil bind and if they do you will need to trim them so they don't

31 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

on a 19/2011 you have to EITHER recut the rails or extend the slots they run in inside the slide, Atlas extended the slots inside the slide on the one I looked at. 

on a Tanfoglio you just have to cut the dust cover, 

In either case you need to make sure your springs do go to coil bind and if they do you will need to trim them so they don't

I knew about the coil bind issue… but was unclear about if they were cutting the frame rails or just the slide.

I am wondering if the slide can be cut further after it’s original cut… looks like a tight fit.

I have also been told that you can’t do it unless it’s a Full dust cover and no sight blocks… but if I went with that logic then you couldn’t do an open gun with a comp… but I know those can be done 

1 hour ago, Gunsbygiz said:

I knew about the coil bind issue… but was unclear about if they were cutting the frame rails or just the slide.

I am wondering if the slide can be cut further after it’s original cut… looks like a tight fit.

I have also been told that you can’t do it unless it’s a Full dust cover and no sight blocks… but if I went with that logic then you couldn’t do an open gun with a comp… but I know those can be done 

you can cut the slide channels with a key cutter, keep in mind that the area that needs to be removed only comes into play at the very end of the slides rearward travel so cutting that area oversized really has no impact on the slide fit when in battery where we care about it, its just a matter of getting it out of the way of the frame rails 

on a short dust cover frame there would be a visible gap between the frame and the rear of the dust cover, it would still "work" it would just look like crap.

doing it on a sight block would be just fine like you said those are just comps without ports.

in the end its a interesting modification that I think on a 19/2011 is really a solution in search of a problem. I have shot a bunch of different open guns and the stroked guns didn't stand out from the others in any way.  

Not more reliable feeding ammo? Less muzzle flip… nothing?

6 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

you can cut the slide channels with a key cutter, keep in mind that the area that needs to be removed only comes into play at the very end of the slides rearward travel so cutting that area oversized really has no impact on the slide fit when in battery where we care about it, its just a matter of getting it out of the way of the frame rails 

on a short dust cover frame there would be a visible gap between the frame and the rear of the dust cover, it would still "work" it would just look like crap.

doing it on a sight block would be just fine like you said those are just comps without ports.

in the end its a interesting modification that I think on a 19/2011 is really a solution in search of a problem. I have shot a bunch of different open guns and the stroked guns didn't stand out from the others in any way.  

good ammo feeding = mags are maintained and and filled with good ammo

less muzzle flip = grip the gun (this sounds mean but I know guys shooting limited with less flip than most shooting open, I know a guy that shot production with a G34 with less flip than any open gun I have ever seen. comps help but the shooter matters 100x more) 

there is not magic bullet in open gun design, if one comp design was enough better to matter everyone would use the same comp, if stoked was an advantage that mattered they would all be stroked, basically there is variety because the differences are so small they just don't matter.

14 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

there is not magic bullet in open gun design

^^^^ this.  You tune your gun to your load by varying the recoil spring, mainspring and firing pin stop radius.  Sometimes it doesn't work and you have to change your load.  Once done your dot returns to zero as rapidly as possible.  Could another gun and load set up differently, but still tuned, be flatter, or softer?  Yes.  Does it matter?  Only if it matters to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Grip! I'm guilty of this myself. Especially with an open gun. It's easy to get lazy because they shoot "softer" and "flatter", than a non-comped rig.

Here is my friend (who just did the fastest bill drill at CO nats) shooting CO. Look at how "flat" it shoots with the proper grip.