Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Bullets 125gr, RN or TC for PCC?

Arakisk

Will be using Taylor Freelance extensions which require OAL below 1.125" for best reliability. Will be using a Brekke Custom/Criterion barrel with a polished feed ramp ground into the barrel itself. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with TC to potentially do a better job with accomodating the OAL requirements of a load? The 125gr TC Blue Bullets don't seem to have too large of a flat face that could cause feeding geometry issues.

My PCC feeds the TC profile just fine, that’s with a non ramped barrel (MBX) I do however have the Taccom feed ramp milled into my upper. I load them to 1.135 with no issues on the TF extensions.  

Just started reloading and have a question.

Got some Coated RN 124  but they interfere with the barrel (failed plunk test) until i start pushing them up to oal 1.070" 

So the question is..what are the drawbacks of shooting ammo that is failed Plunk test?  

Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, Ner said:

Just started reloading and have a question.

Got some Coated RN 124  but they interfere with the barrel (failed plunk test) until i start pushing them up to oal 1.070" 

So the question is..what are the drawbacks of shooting ammo that is failed Plunk test?  

Thanks in advance

You'll run into a bunch of issues like feeding and extracting. If the bolt/slide can't get the bullet to chamber properly you wouldn't/shouldn't be able to get the hammer to hit the firing pin.

Is this 9mm?

1.07 is pretty short, what barrel?

14 minutes ago, DodgeNerd said:

You'll run into a bunch of issues like feeding and extracting. If the bolt/slide can't get the bullet to chamber properly you wouldn't/shouldn't be able to get the hammer to hit the firing pin.

Is this 9mm?

1.07 is pretty short, what barrel?

Yep, 9mm Pcc 12.5" ADC

I made some light 3.5 320Vihta load without an inner bolt weight so pressure shouldn't be a problem. But that 1.07" is disturbing me  

6 minutes ago, Ner said:

Yep, 9mm Pcc 12.5" ADC

I made some light 3.5 320Vihta load without an inner bolt weight so pressure shouldn't be a problem. But that 1.07" is disturbing me  

Have you shot anything else out of the PCC (factory ammo), or plunk test factory stuff?

This short length is ok according to the books with a JHP, but doesn't seem necessary with a coated bullet. I'm not familiar with you barrel but I would imagine 1.11-1.16" could be the norm.

What bullet are you using ? Diameter? 

Do you have a picture of the failed rd?

3 hours ago, DodgeNerd said:

Have you shot anything else out of the PCC (factory ammo), or plunk test factory stuff?

This short length is ok according to the books with a JHP, but doesn't seem necessary with a coated bullet. I'm not familiar with you barrel but I would imagine 1.11-1.16" could be the norm.

What bullet are you using ? Diameter? 

Do you have a picture of the failed rd?

Have shot all kinds off factory FMJs from 115 to 150gn without a problems

So i just came to range to test them. At 1.095" didn't managed to extract chambered ammo until i have shot off all mag empty. So it's an obvious problem. And the accuracy was not that good. And then i tried 1.070" and they were much better without any problems (as for now). Need to try 1.060" lol

Bullets are: full painted 124 Rn Bevel Base .356

3 hours ago, AHI said:

Had to go look at my records.(quit using Blues 125RN). In my PCC and a few others 1.00 is max length to pass .

Also FYI load was 3.8 of N320.

Thanks. Can you please tell what was your barrel length and mb you remember PF for that load?

photo_2020-11-06_18-52-16.jpg

2 hours ago, Ner said:

Sounds extreme..What pf ? And how is it going? 

I just rechecked my data,

125gr Blue RN:  3.5gr TiteGroup, OAL: 1.08x yields a 141 PF in my Ruger PCC, 127 PF in my Glock 34.

125gr Precision RN: 3.5gr TiteGroup, OAL: 1.05x yields a 144 PF in my Ruger PCC, 131 PF in my Glock 34.

125gr Black Bullets: 3.6gr TiteGroup, OAL: 1.06x yields a 144 PF in my Ruger PCC, 131 PF in my Glock 34.

I didn't care for the Blue Bullets, I ordered .356, but they were all .355, and I hate getting my fingers all blue.

I liked the Precision's better than the Black bullets, probably because of the RN profile, they seem to be working out well, I will definitely order more of the Precision from the above three.  I'm also waiting on some Bayou Bullets, hopefully within the next month or so.  After over 20+ years of loading nothing but Berry's coated bullets, this damn covid craziness has me ordering from anyone and everyone just to have bullets.