Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hundo fail rate - 40 bulge?

lroy

I'm getting about 5/100 not passing by hundo gauge. The ones that fail typically get stuck at the end of the case (primer side) and a line running around the diameter is visible. I'm guessing this is where the size die stops and is caused by bulged brass?

Would switching my dillon die to a lee undersized die fix this issue?

image.png.ab0f0ce56ba11579276c2b46cf06aae8.png

That's pretty low on the case for bulged brass, but it is possible.  I suggest "bulge busting" the cases as needed.  I'm told you can do this with loaded rounds but I've never tried it.  I'd suggest getting one of the bulge-busting dies and use it in a single station press if you're only going to process the few loaded rounds that won't pass muster in the gauge.  I'm sure others will chime in shortly with other ideas as well.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, lroy said:

I'm guessing this is where the size die stops and is caused by bulged brass?

Are you sure your dies are adjusted correctly and you are not short stroking the handle? 

I'm asking because I load a lot of 40(even the Glock fired cases) and never had this issue.

If I was you, I would be more worried about the excessive crimp you are using. That much crimp is deforming the bullet and will cause accuracy issues. You also need the leading edge of the case exposed so it can register the round at the front of the chamber properly. 

4 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

If I was you, I would be more worried about the excessive crimp you are using. That much crimp is deforming the bullet and will cause accuracy issues. You also need the leading edge of the case exposed so it can register the round at the front of the chamber properly. 

That was exactly the first thing I saw too. 

It also looks like the die is "pushing brass" near the base where your red arrow is.

Some guesses on the pushing brass, and the ring on the base.

1. Case off center with the die, meaning the case not centered in the shell holder.

2. Check for a bulge if you are using range pickup brass.

3. The brass is too clean and being grabbed by the carbide ring. Try some Hornady one shot on the cases and inside the die.

4. A undersize die will push even more brass because of it smaller diameter.

On 11/7/2020 at 7:17 PM, CHA-LEE said:

I pulled the bullets and you're completely right, the bullets were misshapen.

I adjusted the crimp to be minimal and still able to pass the hundo then pulled it. The difference is significant.

Appreciate your advice. Hopefully these look better.

F90C5675-FEEF-4557-971A-1253EDBA9C00.png

E52A7656-F34A-4A3C-9FC0-E567CF9759E2.jpeg

Edited by lroy

Get the Redding GRX, I use to run them all thru it but after a while I just put the rejects thru it.  Yeah Yeah putting a loaded round thru it might be dangerous but I don't have any holes in the roof, don't stand over it.  I have a case pro, and I roll loaded rounds thru it as well, when they fail the plunker.   Primers are too scarce for rejects. 

Edited by CocoBolo

I used to use the GR-x Redding and it did fine. I have since switched to Rollsizer.com equipment and my time saved is huge. Even with the Bulge Buster dies I used to have some failures, and I try to minimize or eliminate all failures. Lots of great ways to minimise and eliminate, just have to find the best way for you. The most important part is correct die adjustment.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking load now in the follow up pic.  The GR-X is nice, but it is an extra process.  Rollsizer looks sweet, but I really haven't needed one.

Some rip on the LEE FCD, but this is a handy tool to have. Unless you are using way oversized bullets and thick brass you should generally not have an issue. 

I have on occasion used a U-Die for jacketed, but not for coated, lubed or even plated bullets.  The FCD is helpful and easy to incorporate.

• 3 weeks later...