Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped gun dq

IHAVEGAS

I think I screwed up, but verification is a good thing. 

USPSA match, after telling a shooter to "make ready" he loaded and holstered and the gun dropped out of his holster (open type) when he removed his hand.

My thinking was that he had not started the course of fire yet and he allowed me to pick up his gun so I should handle this just like you would a dropped gun during a stage walk through (for example) and no dq. 

Looking at the rules it appears that the course of fire started when I said "make ready" so I should have called a dq.

Right??

9 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Looking at the rules it appears that the course of fire started when I said "make ready" so I should have called a dq.

Right??

As many times as this forum has confirmed the COF begins with make ready, you had to look that up? Come on man.....

17 minutes ago, Sarge said:

As many times as this forum has confirmed the COF begins with make ready, you had to look that up? Come on man.....

Actually I think it was trying to remember back to the conclusion of one of the loooonnnggg and painful rule discussions that motivated me to screw it up in the first place. 

That is not an excuse though, I screwed up. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

17 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

he either dropped a loaded gun and was thus in the CoF so he's DQ'd, or he dropped a loaded gun that was not supposed to be loaded and he is DQ'd for that.

After there is a correct understanding of how the start of a COF is defined, sure.

Else, if any rules related to a dropped gun mention whether or not the gun is loaded I have not found them or seen them referenced here.

12 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

After there is a correct understanding of how the start of a COF is defined, sure.

Else, if any rules related to a dropped gun mention whether or not the gun is loaded I have not found them or seen them referenced here.

If at any time during the course of

fire, or while loading

, reloading

or

unloading

, a competitor drops his firearm or causes it to fall, loaded or not.

Dude ...

If you drop a gun DURING the CoF (as described in the OP) it is a DQ, loaded or not.  The gun WAS loaded and he dropped it.  It was loaded because he loaded it during the CoF ... He's DQ'd because he dropped it.  The fact it was loaded is what we call in the trade, a clue that it was likely DURING the CoF.

Were it NOT during a CoF and it was loaded he's DQ'd because it should not have been loaded.

In short, it's IMPOSSIBLE to drop a loaded gun and not earn a DQ for it!

Is there 

10 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Dude ...

If you drop a gun DURING the CoF (as described in the OP) it is a DQ, loaded or not.  The gun WAS loaded and he dropped it.  It was loaded because he loaded it during the CoF ... He's DQ'd because he dropped it.  The fact it was loaded is what we call in the trade, a clue that it was likely DURING the CoF.

Were it NOT during a CoF and it was loaded he's DQ'd because it should not have been loaded.

In short, it's IMPOSSIBLE to drop a loaded gun and not earn a DQ for it!

The question that inspired this thread (confirming definition for the start of the course of fire) was answered in the first response and apparently there is nothing in the rules mentioning whether or not a dropped gun is loaded. 

I got it, not sure why there are multiple posts explaining the immediately obvious. 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Is there 

The question that inspired this thread (confirming definition for the start of the course of fire) was answered in the first response and apparently there is nothing in the rules mentioning whether or not a dropped gun is loaded. 

Of course there is.  There's a rule about dropping during the COF, and a rule about being loaded at any time other than during the COF.

6 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Sooo how often does a competitor load his gun before LAMR?

And also, if you jump up and down naked during a course of fire while screaming "Krishna Krishna Hari Krishna" and flapping your arms like chicken wings, that is a dq under 10.6.1 .

7 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Have actually seen this happen. New shooter comes up and before RO can say MR he loads it up.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

8 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Enough that there's a rule about it.

And I've issued a DQ for loading before "make ready" once.  Loaded table start.  Competitor approached the line, unholstered and began inserting a magazine before make ready.  Earned them a "Stop, Unload and Show Clear" and no more shooting that day.

There's also lots of it happening at the trunks of cars where competitors step out with concealed carry guns and take them off their belt, etc., to put them in the car (or the reverse at the end of a match).  That's a loaded gun, too, and falls under match rules.

Edited by mreed911

16 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I got it, not sure why there are multiple posts explaining the immediately obvious. 

Are you kidding???

this will go on for days...

;)

Edited by Cuz