Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taran Tactical +2 Baseplates - How to Remove from 21 round Magazine?

BillChunn

As the title says, how the heck do you get the +2 baseplates off?  There is a video on YouTube on how to get the +5's off by using a pencil to push down on the follower so the spring is not in alignment with the extension where it meets the magazine base and then it slips off very easily.

Is there a "trick" like that for the +2's?

The good news is with the Gram's internals, 23 rounds can be loaded.  Now to test the 147 grainers and see if all 23 (plus 1 on initial load) with function fire....

BC

Well now that the baseplates were taken off, it's really not all that hard.  Just move the lock pin down, push on the pad until the spring slides sideways in the magazine then rotate the baseplate off.  Ordered 5 more Gram's spring kits from Shooter's Connection and the order was picked and shipped within one hour.   Can't say enough about Chuck Bradley and the crew in Kentucky.  Great company that has been supporting the sport for a long, long time.

BC

Identifying my mags has been done over the years with a variety of paint dots, labels, stickers and just about everything doesn't hold up over time.  Well here is the solution.

Yep.... LASER ENGRAVING!!  These are (obviously) Taran Tactical +2 baseplates for my P320 and a local company, Quantum Laser Design Works did these up for me.  Excellent job.. The color matches the TT logo as it is also lasered on...

PM me for additional details on the company if you would like some work done.  They are in the Detroit area and can laser a wide variety of materials.  These are anodized aluminum and as you can see, they came out looking great.

BC

TT_Basepads_Small.jpg

Edited by BillChunn

21 hours ago, BillChunn said:

Identifying my mags has been done over the years with a variety of paint dots, labels, stickers and just about everything doesn't hold up over time.  Well here is the solution.

Yep.... LASER ENGRAVING!!  These are (obviously) Taran Tactical +2 baseplates for my P320 and a local company, Quantum Laser Design Works did these up for me.  Excellent job.. The color matches the TT logo as it is also lasered on...

PM me for additional details on the company if you would like some work done.  They are in the Detroit area and can laser a wide variety of materials.  These are anodized aluminum and as you can see, they came out looking great.

BC

TT_Basepads_Small.jpg

Very nice!

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2020 at 4:18 PM, BillChunn said:

BC

TT_Basepads_Small.jpg

Mind if I ask how much you paid?  Local gunshop near me wanted $30 per mag to do this...

$25 for all 8... and 2 beers, one for her and another for her husband.  She's a good friend of mine that just started up her engraving business.  The time consuming part was making a jig to hold the baseplates in place (they were done 5 at a time) and then lining up the laser.  The actual engraving was less than 5 minutes.

Now that she has the jig, she can do them very quickly.  Try contacting her through FB (link).

BC

Edited by BillChunn
added link

2 hours ago, BillChunn said:

$25 for all 8... and 2 beers, one for her and another for her husband.  She's a good friend of mine that just started up her engraving business.  The time consuming part was making a jig to hold the baseplates in place (they were done 5 at a time) and then lining up the laser.  The actual engraving was less than 5 minutes.

Now that she has the jig, she can do them very quickly.  Try contacting her through FB (link).

BC

Wow thats a hellava deal!  I'll send them a PM, thank you.