Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To MOS or Not ?

ltdmstr

I'm not a big Glock fan, but I have a 9mm AR that runs Glock mags and figure it makes sense to get a pistol that shares the same mags and ammo.  So, I'm looking at a G17 Gen 5 with an RMR.  Any consensus on whether it's better to get the MOS cut and mount the optic with a plate (prob C&H) vs a standard slide that's milled for direct mount RMR?  Obviously the MOS allows for different optics if I decide to change and probably better resale value if/when I dump it.  Just wondering if I'm missing something.

There are many good things to be said for direct-mounting an optic to a slide (strength of installation, lower mounting height allowing for co-witnessing with sights that are less than 2.5 feet tall, etc.), but....like you said, the OEM MOS system is nice for its versatility (not being stuck with only one type of RDS).

Some folks deride the OEM system, but it all comes down to whether the adapter plates are installed properly. 

First of all, please take the time to test-fit your optic onto the plate before the plate is mounted to the pistol.  Torque the screws down to the RDS manufacturer's spec.  Ensure that they don't protrude through the hole and start to bear against the slide itself. 

Of course, you'll have to take it back off of the plate before the plate can be mounted to the slide.  If I didn't say that, somebody would call me out, "How can I mount the optic to the plate, then the plate to the slide?".  

The failed plates that I have seen have been on slides where you could see definitive scratches where the screws were attempting to dig into the slide.  No plate can withstand that type of prying force, on top of the already high-stress environment of being slung back-and-forth on a pistol at a 100 g or so....

You also want to use a TOUCH of blue Loctite on the screws, not a glob.  Too much can migrate down into the Extractor Depressor Plunger channel and really gum up the works there (the right-side screw hole and the EDP channel actually do connect a slight bit).  I also use a touch of Loctite on the bottom of the plate itself to further anchor the plate to the slide.

Hello: If you already have a gen 3 why not get another slide with an RMR cut already? Change the parts over from the original slide and you are ready for Carry Optics. Use the original slide for Production or limited minor. There are better optics out there that fit the rmr cut also. Thanks, Eric

C&H plates are way better that stock. I use VC3 instead of loctite (C&H ships with some). Braxton1 and Eric make good points. Being you are not a glock fan, I wouldn't mill a slide, resale might not be as good.

37 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: If you already have a gen 3 why not get another slide with an RMR cut already? Change the parts over from the original slide and you are ready for Carry Optics. Use the original slide for Production or limited minor. There are better optics out there that fit the rmr cut also. Thanks, Eric

I don't have a Gen 3.  Getting a Gen 5, just debating whether to get the MOS version or standard version and mill the slide for direct mount.  I get what you're saying about shooting different classes, but there's zero chance I'll be using this as a competition gun.  I shoot Limited with an SV, PCC with JP and occasional single stack.  If I had any more time for shooting, I'd be doing PRC.  On the dot, I've had good luck with Aimpoint and Trijicon.  Not so good with others.  The Aimpoint Acro is probably nice, but I just don't like the size and design of it.  So I'm leaning toward the RMR, although I'd consider others.  I'm more concerned with performance, reliability and durability than cost.

23 minutes ago, floater said:

C&H plates are way better that stock. I use VC3 instead of loctite (C&H ships with some). Braxton1 and Eric make good points. Being you are not a glock fan, I wouldn't mill a slide, resale might not be as good.

Sounds good on the C&H plate.  Right now, I'm leaning towards that with the RMR and Heinie Ledge sights.  But I'm still going to look and see what else it out there.

i helped my nephew install a holosun on his gen 5 19 MOS.   everything fell together with no issues.  the plate adds very little to the height of the sight . i like the plates as another foot print sight can be installed quickly with no fuss.   when you mill a slide you are stuck with that foot print.  

Yeah, I think the direct mount is better in some ways, but it sounds like the MOS setup is (or can be) reliable.  So that, combined with the flexibility to change optics or run without one, probably make it the better choice.

5 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Yeah, I think the direct mount is better in some ways, but it sounds like the MOS setup is (or can be) reliable.  So that, combined with the flexibility to change optics or run without one, probably make it the better choice.

firget about what everyone else is saying and get yourself a Gen 5, 34 MOS. Then when you decide to dump it, PM me and I’ll give you a decent price for it. 

I've run both plates -C&H and the MOS plates.  I see very little difference.  I've used the optic to rack the slides for several years now, both are secure.

Height wise, no difference.

Hello: Since you don't have a Gen 3 then get the Gen 5 MOS Glock 17. I have one coming so I can test a couple of different dots for carry optics to see what works best for me. The problems I have seen with the Glock MOS plates is that people over torque them to the slide stressing the screws. I had a Gen 4 Glock 34MOS and preferred the Gen 3 17 slide on it more than the 34 length slide. If it is a house pistol I would also consider a Glock Gen 5 G45 MOS. Thanks, Eric

I'd vote MOS but if you're going Trijicon it probably won't lower the resale value. I'm running an SRO with the stock mounting plate and haven't had any issues with around 5,000 rounds through the gun. 

Haven't had a chance to look at an SRO yet.  Had a couple of RMRs on rifles and they were pretty nice.  So, I'm still undecided on what optic to use, but also still leaning toward the RMR.  Think I'm set on the MOS. Don't really see any downside.  My main concern was durability and reliability of the setup, and that seems to be a non-issue if the parts are put together correctly.

I got a 34.5 mos and just put a vortex dot on it to try out the pistol dot thing. What I've heard about direct cut vs plates was that the dot was lower and easier for some people to find. I dry fired with mine for about 20 minutes before my first range trip and had no issue finding the dot.

I don't think you could go wrong either way as the resale value should be good on an rmr cut since it's popular. I wasn't sure what dot I wanted so figured I'd start off cheap with the vortex and I'd I decide to stick with CO I'll get an SRO and stick the vortex in my buckmark, and this is where the mos system shines.

Since resale is part of it... Nobody looking would "pass" on a used one because it was MOS, where they might pass on a non-MOS if they were planning on adding a RDS.  I have a Gen 5 17 with a Vortex Viper mounted on the factory plate.  It's been solid and other than the P80, if I got another Glock it would be MOS.  If you might shoot a match or two, i'd go G34 MOS.  Good Hunting! :)

G17 MOS.jpg

Edited by Chutist

On 11/3/2020 at 1:00 PM, Walli said:

The Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS FS with a Forward Controls Design mounting plate is a really nice combination. You get the flexibility of the MOS, a mount that is designed the way it should have been from the factory and you do not have to modify the slide.

Forward Controls Design Mounting Plate Review

Plus one on the Forward Controls Design mount. My RMR is very tight in mine. And I like the fact that it is steel. Attached photo.

As far as the SRO vs RMR? I have both. The RMR is undoubtedly the king as far as rugged/durable. But IMO thats for extreme situations. The SRO is no slouch but I could see the glass getting broke easier than the RMR. That said, I find the SRO way easier to shoot faster. I really like the clearer glass of the SRO over the RMR. My nightstand gun and competition gun are one in the same and I use the SRO.  Carry the RMR mainly because of it’s size. 
 I wish Trijicon would come out with a RMR with a slightly larger and clearer glass. 
My 2 cents. 

6F32FDF7-E5A8-4A67-A35C-D9CEAA6BE679.jpeg

I like the new design CH plate with replaceable t inserts and 4 posts for the optic.  I have one on order and am also waiting on the pistol from Glock.  Also have the Heinie sights on the way.  Still need to round up the optic and other parts.  Will post an update when I get it together.

5 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I like the new design CH plate with replaceable t inserts and 4 posts for the optic.  I have one on order and am also waiting on the pistol from Glock.  Also have the Heinie sights on the way.  Still need to round up the optic and other parts.  Will post an update when I get it together.

Whose plate did you end up going with?  Is it a plate for an MOS?