Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock open built- which trigger?

Kokeman

I am wanting to try open next year and I am putting a P80 together to shoot 9mm minor before I jump in with both feet on a 2011. I have been researching triggers and with all the choices it is overwhelming. I'm wanting short take up and reset with a solid wall and crisp break. What are your recommendations? 

I understand the low cost appeal of the Glock.

Like the guy above is hinting in a non-descript way - there really aren’t great triggers available and the Glock platform will always have detriments.

I do remind people that KC did win Nationals with a Glock though...

The main detriment in my book is that the striker spring acts against the recoil spring - so you will likely have to put in a 13 pounder after putting a comp on the barrel.

That’s too heavy for ideal recoil characteristics.

There’s no such thing as a short reset on a Glock - only shorter than other Glocks.

The factory disconnector will make for the shortest reset - but with a heavier trigger pull than the aftermarket discos.

Polish up the components

Buy an aftermarket metal trigger shoe with adjustments - like the lone wolf.

Tailor the striker spring to your loads.

There is little more that can be realistically done due to the engineering that can be done.  Done properly, these steps can get you in the 3.5 lb range with a relatively short reset.

You can pay a lot more money for very little improvement and a longer reset...

Isn’t worth it in my opinion.

There’s only one comp to get - the SJC 11 port for major loads.

It isn’t much more money to buy a Tanfoglio Gold Custom - but you HAVE to stroke the Tanfoglio’s slide to make it reliable and a lot of people never take that step - so they usually aren’t reliable.

If your doing it on the cheep Just use the connector of your choice with regular GLOCK parts, you can put a $200 trigger in a GLOCK but you still have a GLOCK trigger. 

PS I like GLOCKs just learn to pull the trigger straight back and don't worry about trying to make it something its not.

18 hours ago, Whoops! said:

Like the guy above is hinting in a non-descript way - there really aren’t great triggers available and the Glock platform will always have detriments.

Imagine what he would have achieved if he had used a real gun and not this plastic toy😀

I would give Glock engineers a score of 90 for its design in the 80s but for this class I would look for a more suitable gun based on 2011 or cz

save your glock  for limited or carry .

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

If your doing it on the cheep Just use the connector of your choice with regular GLOCK parts, you can put a $200 trigger in a GLOCK but you still have a GLOCK trigger. 

PS I like GLOCKs just learn to pull the trigger straight back and don't worry about trying to make it something its not.

This made me laugh. It's true tho. My son is doing this same thing and he shoots it quite well but whenever he shoots my 2011 he hates his Glock for a while. Limited funds prevent him from stepping up but I'm certain when the boss allows it he's going 2011/CZ no doubt. On the plus side he polished things up and put a flat style trigger in it and the action is smoother but still Glock like. What ever keeps him competing I'm all for.

20 hours ago, Whoops! said:

Assuming you are speaking of USPSA Nationals, this is incorrect.  He shot a Limcat the years he won USPSA Open Nationals

https://pitchengine.com/pitches/44387801-efe3-4a06-bd62-9be46cae0172

Edited by RJH

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Assuming you are speaking of USPSA Nationals, this is incorrect.  He shot a Limcat the years he won USPSA Open Nationals

https://pitchengine.com/pitches/44387801-efe3-4a06-bd62-9be46cae0172

You’re right - I should have remembered - I had that Limcat because of him and JJ.

Regardless - he used his Glock open gun for multiple area wins.  In 2013 - he scored 98% against Max Michel for a close second in the Nationals with his Glock.  Dave Sevigny competed favorably with the Glock against Eric Grauffel and won multiple production and limited 10 platforms with it.

Point is, with enough ability, the detriments can be overcome.

25 minutes ago, Whoops! said:

Point is, with enough ability, the detriments can be overcome.

Except  glock in open in USPSA apparently......

Glock open major reliability is not an actual thing, well maybe 40 major is reliable, but no one does that at the highest levels for a reason.  Kinda like no one wins with glocks in open at the highest levels for a reason. I have never seen a glock 9 major gun run for any amount of time reliably.  Pretty sure that is why KC went back to shooting 2011s in open, he got tired of the glock crapping out

36 minutes ago, RJH said:

Glock open major reliability is not an actual thing, well maybe 40 major is reliable, but no one does that at the highest levels for a reason.  Kinda like no one wins with glocks in open at the highest levels for a reason. I have never seen a glock 9 major gun run for any amount of time reliably.  Pretty sure that is why KC went back to shooting 2011s in open, he got tired of the glock crapping out

There are those who like to do it the hard way😀

3 minutes ago, yigal said:

There are those who like to do it the hard way😀

Actually they don't do it LOL

By the way, none of this is to discourage the OP from building a 9 minor gun and having fun.  And i will add that in doing so, something like the TTI GM trigger kit for $40ish should be fine.  No since putting too much lipstick on a pig.  If it was a glock frame that could later be used in CO, then trying to get the "best" trigger might be more worthwhile

55 minutes ago, RJH said:

My Glock open gun was reliable.  So was KC’s in 2013. Area matches are the highest level, parallel to Nationals - Level III matches.

98% at Nationals?

Would everyone rather shoot a 2011 and most likely do better with it?  Yes, of course.

But it can definitely be done. Part of the way to do it is a 13 pound recoil spring.

One mike/noshoot away from one of the most competitive titles out there.  I definitely wouldn’t say it can’t be done.

7 minutes ago, Whoops! said:

My Glock open gun was reliable.  So was KC’s in 2013. Area matches are the highest level, parallel to Nationals - Level III matches.

98% at Nationals?

Would everyone rather shoot a 2011 and most likely do better with it?  Yes, of course.

But it can definitely be done. Part of the way to do it is a 13 pound recoil spring.

One mike/noshoot away from one of the most competitive titles out there.  I definitely wouldn’t say it can’t be done.

43 years of USPSA nationals exactly 0 glock wins.  And don't even start to say that area matches have the same top end level of heat that nationals do, cause I looked back at some 2013 area matches, you would have maybe 1 or 2 big names and a bunch of people you never heard of, not to say they were not good shooters, just not the top of the heat shooters that show up at nationals.   

Glocks can't win open nationals and are not reliable in open major.  If they are and can, go prove me wrong, otherwise i am sticking with 43 years of nationals that says I am right.  I guess technically 36 or so years since that is how long glocks have been around

Right, Glocks can only win every other Nationals and 98% “can’t win” and it’s my responsibility to prove otherwise.

😄

43 years of how many competitors shooting Glocks?  They can’t win if they don’t try.

In my experience, those involved with 2011 building companies take the hardest line on this stance.  Everyone do some research before following advice.

Edited by Whoops!

Nope, no 2011 company here.  I don't have 2011 money even, but that doesn't mean that I am going to lie to myself and say that glocks are equal to 2011s in open division, even though I would love for that to be true. 

Also, many people do try to shoot open glocks,  then they find out that they are not reliable and competitive and so they switch to a gun that is. 

I just try to not spread falsehoods 

No one said Glocks were equals.  

There’s one 2011 company in your area that you have a lot of exposure to and experience with.

And don’t get me wrong, that’s not a bad thing.  I wish I had people as devoted as you to anything I made.

But

It’s not magic to make an open Glock reliable.

I’ve had 3 actually.  I’ve also had a reliable M&P open gun, multiple 2011’s, and Tanfoglios that nobody else could make run.

The performance difference between all of them at a major match with a great shooter would be less than 10%.

The Tanfoglios took me the longest to make match ready, but they are. 

I’ve named the detriments to the Glocks, but make no mistake, a good shooter could win with them and has won with them - all day long.

Most of them aren’t setup ideally - but with a Glock - just put on the fattest comp you can and then add porting as needed.  I’ve never found an overcomped Glock since the comps are all lightweight and they flip so much.

Edited by Whoops!

Thanks for the input guys but a 2011 is not in the budget for a few years. (2 kids in college) Besides I have a long way to go before I need to worry about the competitive advantage of a 2011 over a Glock. I have most parts to build the P80 Glock. All I need is a trigger and make a sight mount, weight, magwell and thumbrest.

Hello: I would just use a stock polished trigger setup first to see how you like shooting open. Not sure if you are going to shoot open major or minor? If you are going to shoot major just keep checking the rails every time you clean it. They will come loose over time at around 20,000-30,000 major rounds or so in a stock Glock. I am not sure on your P80 setup how long that will last? Have fun with your project. Thanks, Eric

23 minutes ago, Kokeman said:

Thanks for the input guys but a 2011 is not in the budget for a few years. (2 kids in college) Besides I have a long way to go before I need to worry about the competitive advantage of a 2011 over a Glock. I have most parts to build the P80 Glock. All I need is a trigger and make a sight mount, weight, magwell and thumbrest.

I have some used parts that you might want.

if you want I can take some pictures and post them in the classifieds.

12 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I can’t remember...did I already recommend to get a used 2011? You can definitely find one in good condition that will be the same or less money than a new Glock Open gun.

You have a 2011 to sell me for about $500. With all the parts I already have and can make myself that's about what I will have in it. I'll even through in the parts I have for it.

Edited by Kokeman