Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't start a stage with any empty mag pouches!

FloridaDudeBro

I shot the Sunshine State games USPSA match yesterday in Florida.  First stage of the morning, a fairly straightforward affair.  I load two mags up to 20 rounds each (I'm Limited Minor with a X5 Legion), and off I go.

Wait, was it 20? Or 23? Or did my reload mag have only 15?  Hmm can't recall at the beep.  First two targets down, then the mag POOPS out of the pistol with a stovepipe round at the top.  I reload, confident that I have the ammo for the rest of the stage.

Welp, I roll up to the last two targets and lo and behold I'm slide lock.  So I took the two FTSAs and the four mikes.  Sucks to be me right now.

Lessons learned: 1) SIG mags don't like being stuffed full.  Always download one round.  And 2) NEVER start a stage without a full complement of loaded mags on your belt!

Thanks for indulging me folks.

BP

I break the “never put an empty mag on your belt” rule all the time.

My procedure to avoid messing up is that my starting mag only goes into the pocket which it lives in after **every single mag** comes off the belt, gets filled or checked, then replaced.

Only then do I slip a mag into the pocket I need to use to start a stage.

However you do it, have a process to ensure you always arrive at make ready with the belt fully stocked.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

My routine is always the same regardless of how many rounds I'll need or whether the stage is Comstock or Virginia count.

• Load the pistol first with the Barney mag that comes from the furthest mag pouch back, goes empty into my LH front pocket.
  • Starting mag comes from the second furthest mag pouch and it's always loaded to 22 rounds.   Goes into the gun after the barney mag comes out.
  • Reload mag (I shoot CO so I almost never need a second reload) is in the first pouch on the belt and is also a 22 rounder.
  • Oh s#!t reload is a std capacity (19 round) mag loaded to 18 on the second mag pouch back.

I keep it super simple myself. 3 mags loaded exactly the same, 20 rounds, 3 pouches. Middle mag is my load into the gun mag. As for making sure the mags always have 20 I simply download any mag I used to empty and reload them. If it is getting close to last stage and I dont feel like loading mags i just empty them and put them in range bag. I usually have 10 mags with me. Mostly incase one breaks, but if someone needs a mag I can lend a few out and be good still. 

• 4 weeks later...

Area 2, 2014 or 2015... shooting production. 

I'm given the make ready, and go through my routine, loading the starting mag I always keep in my pocket. Timer goes off, I start shooting, get to that first reload and there are NO magazines on my belt. As the realization hits, the tension releases, my shoulders drop, I unload, show clear, holster... and you could hear a mouse fart on the range. No one shooting, a whole other squad waiting behind us, it was super quiet... and I hear "that sucks" whispered in the crowd.  It was so bad, I couldn't even be mad. 

I can't remember if it was the first stage of the day, but all my loaded mags were still sitting in their pockets in the gun bag. The burnout was really setting in for my shooting. 

1 hour ago, facelessman said:

Area 2, 2014 or 2015... shooting production. 

I'm given the make ready, and go through my routine, loading the starting mag I always keep in my pocket. Timer goes off, I start shooting, get to that first reload and there are NO magazines on my belt. As the realization hits, the tension releases, my shoulders drop, I unload, show clear, holster... and you could hear a mouse fart on the range. No one shooting, a whole other squad waiting behind us, it was super quiet... and I hear "that sucks" whispered in the crowd.  It was so bad, I couldn't even be mad. 

I can't remember if it was the first stage of the day, but all my loaded mags were still sitting in their pockets in the gun bag. The burnout was really setting in for my shooting. 

right or wrong, as an RO at a local match, I just couldn’t issue the start beep to a shooter I knew forgot to put any mags in his belt. That’s probably while I’ll never RO at a Major match.