Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10mm (40) accuracy?

IHAVEGAS

Anybody have a good IDPA load (155 pf) worked up?

Any info on the groups you have been able to get would be very interesting.

I could have put this with the reloading stuff but I think the first question is what the gun itself can be expected to do. Darn neat gun, I just haven't found something that flies straight like I did in my 625. 

page doesnt load, but I find it hard to believe you could make a functioning revolver that headspaces off the  case mouth and uses moon clips.  For whatever reason 40 brass has always had inconsistent groove and rim dimensions. If you dont sort by head stamp and use the right moonclips matched to that brand brass, you end up either getting sticky cylinder rotation or misfires unless you do some tweaking , like changing fireing pins.

6 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

Off topic, but are you actually able to use 40 in it? I’ve seen multiple people have issues with it as it heads paces off the 10 mm case not the moon clip. Here’s at least one write up about it: https://revolverguy.com/ruger-10mm-gp100-part-ii-field-report/

I'm burning up my old .40 ammo I had loaded for shooting USPSA limited in a bottom feeder, range brass of mixed headstand, Winchester primers I think, primer seating depth at whatever I got with my Dillon 550. With that much not in my favor and a lighter hammer spring I typically have 1 failure to fire or 2 per 120 round local IDPA match. This is with TK custom 0.050  clips. 

I will be very surprised if there are any failure to fire issues when I start loading for this gun like I do for my other revolvers (Federals deep seated in a 1050 & brass sorted by head stamp), but I have been wrong before.  

Edited by IHAVEGAS

From the Ruger instruction manual: “The 10MM GP100® will function, and has been tested, with 40 S&W caliber ammunition, but may misfire (fail to fire) with some commercial ammunition. For this reason, Ruger does not recommend the use of 40 S&W ammunition in this revolver.”

But again, I’m hijacking your thread. I was just giving a heads up that you might have a headache inbound. But anything with tuning a Revo for competition is potential headache territory.

1 hour ago, RangerMcFadden said:

I was just giving a heads up that you might have a headache inbound.

Nothings impossible, but every competition shooters revolver that I know about 

1 hour ago, RangerMcFadden said:

may misfire (fail to fire) with some commercial ammunition

although perhaps some people keep their guns stock.

FWIW.

So far the best load I've found is 180 Bayou 3.9 Clay Dot (pretty similar to what my 625 liked).

Still looking. 

With mixed head stamp range brass and Federal primers the gun has been 100%. No tweaking yet beyond the McCarbo kit (shims - reduced hammer spring - reduced trigger return spring) and some polishing. No indication of any brand of spent brass wanting to stick, which may be due to shooting just a smidge above IDPA minimum power factor (155) rather than a hotter load.