Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Division Ear protection

VU2AKILL

I am transitioning from carry-ops shooter to open division.  I have been shooting with the Sound Gear Instant Fit electronic plugs and they work really good...unless I have to RO an open shooter.  When I shoot my new open pistol, I use the Sound Gear plugs with a set of muffs over them.  This makes it very pleasant to shoot and I experience no ringing afterwards.  Now that the 2020 Race Gun Nationals are over, I have been seeing a lot of video footage and a majority of the shooters and ROs are not wearing muffs.  It appears that most folks are wearing custom made in-the-ear plugs.  I have done some research through the search field and found lots of info on hearing protection but not sure if the people are actually shooting open guns or not.  I would love to hear what the open shooters are using for ear pro so I am more informed before making the large investment into a custom set of plugs.  Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

Maybe custom plugs are better now but I had a set of plugs made 10 years ago. No electronic suppression etc, just plain old molded plugs. They are awesome for everything but Open guns and AR's. I shoot only Open and I wear peltor tactical pro with gel pads. No need for double plugging like many others do. They are great with no ringing etc. As an aside I tried the supreme sordin gee whiz muffs and like many others found out they just don't cut it for the really loud open guns.

41 minutes ago, VU2AKILL said:

I am transitioning from carry-ops shooter to open division.  I have been shooting with the Sound Gear Instant Fit electronic plugs and they work really good...unless I have to RO an open shooter.  When I shoot my new open pistol, I use the Sound Gear plugs with a set of muffs over them.  This makes it very pleasant to shoot and I experience no ringing afterwards.  Now that the 2020 Race Gun Nationals are over, I have been seeing a lot of video footage and a majority of the shooters and ROs are not wearing muffs.  It appears that most folks are wearing custom made in-the-ear plugs.  I have done some research through the search field and found lots of info on hearing protection but not sure if the people are actually shooting open guns or not.  I would love to hear what the open shooters are using for ear pro so I am more informed before making the large investment into a custom set of plugs.  Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

Shooting without muffs (just plugs) is certainly a lot more comfortable, and it looks cool, but I can pretty much guarantee they'll regret it down the road.  There's no plug you can buy that, by itself, provides adequate protection for open gun shooting.  Doesn't matter if it has electronics in it or not.  The cool kids who shoot with just plugs may not notice it now, but hearing loss is typically gradual and cumulative.  When it gets to the point that it's a problem, it's too late to do anything about it.  So be smart, and protect what you have.

44 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Shooting without muffs (just plugs) is certainly a lot more comfortable, and it looks cool, but I can pretty much guarantee they'll regret it down the road.  There's no plug you can buy that, by itself, provides adequate protection for open gun shooting.  Doesn't matter if it has electronics in it or not.  The cool kids who shoot with just plugs may not notice it now, but hearing loss is typically gradual and cumulative.  When it gets to the point that it's a problem, it's too late to do anything about it.  So be smart, and protect what you have.

I kind of wondered if this was the case.  

When RO'ing, and I see an open shooter approach, I normally don't have time to change ear muffs. Instead I tend to find myself standing back an extra foot or two as they are shooting, but keeping a good eye on them for safety. I see Midway has the Walker Silencer Bluetooth Ear Plugs on sale this month, I need to do some research as one of the reviews rated them as a 25 db cutoff, and some regular old styled plugs at 32 db cutoff. 

3M makes some muffs with decent NRR ratings and good fits.  I like the 27db 3M Peltor X4As for Open.   They are quieter than many with higher ratings and a less bulky.  You can run some digital plugs most of the time and just put them on when you shoot or RO.

I did a practice session last night.  2 shots with just my plugs in and the ringing started.  Added the muffs and had no issues after that.  I think I will be wearing the plugs all day at the matches and just add the muffs when it is my turn to shoot.  Unless someone on here gives me an idea for the greatest hearing protection ever!!  

I use Howard Leight Honeywell Electronic Shooting Earmuffs. I can still hear people talking and buzzer but 30nrr noise block while shooting. Works better for me I have been shooting open for years and best I have tried. In enclosed areas I use ear plugs and muffs.

https://www.howardleightshootingsports.com/collections/electronic-earmuffs/products/impact-pro-sound-amplification-electronic-shooting-earmuff-black-grey

Edited by mcattack

V, the first thing you should knw is not all NRR ratings are accurate.  For example, I have a set of 30 dB NRR rated muffs that let more sound in than my 26 dB NRR rated muffs.

Custom molded ear plugs are great if they are made correctly and the go deep into you ear canal.  You can get up to 35 dB NRR with them.  The disadvantages are the don't last long and they push ear wax farther down the canal, where it is difficult to remove.

Analog electronic ear muffs can have high NRR ratings, but their attack time is slow so you get an initial 'burst' of noise before they clamp down.  Digital electronics are much faster.

After trying a LOT of combinations over the past decades I not use the following.  Howard Leight disposable foam ear plugs at 33 dB NRR when inserted properly and my 26 dB NRR electronic muffs.  The foam plugs are enough for ROing normal guns and some Open guns without poppels.  Generally when ROing Open shooters I turn the mic off on the muffs.  That plus the plugs gives me enough suppression.  I turn the mic on when I need to hear speech.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:04 AM, Sarge said:

Maybe custom plugs are better now but I had a set of plugs made 10 years ago. No electronic suppression etc, just plain old molded plugs. They are awesome for everything but Open guns and AR's. I shoot only Open and I wear peltor tactical pro with gel pads. No need for double plugging like many others do. They are great with no ringing etc. As an aside I tried the supreme sordin gee whiz muffs and like many others found out they just don't cut it for the really loud open guns.

+1. I have molded plugs. They’re ok for shotgun sports. They suck for indoors or shooting anything with an effective comp. 

Had a set of Peltors on deployment. Quite good. Now I have Howard Leight, which are bigger and more effective than the Peltors. Would like to try ProEars Gold someday. 

I always ran plugs and muff's shooting open.  It was funny but with the electronic muffs over plugs I could still "hear" - Range commands, conversations and THE BEEP - just fine.  

It's the only way to really protect your hearing with open guns - IMHO. ;)

2 hours ago, Chutist said:

It's the only way to really protect your hearing with open guns - IMHO

And even then you will suffer some hearing loss long term, especially if you shoot under cover or indoors. 

7 hours ago, Chutist said:

I always ran plugs and muff's shooting open.  It was funny but with the electronic muffs over plugs I could still "hear" - Range commands, conversations and THE BEEP - just fine.  

It's the only way to really protect your hearing with open guns - IMHO. ;)

4 hours ago, zzt said:

And even then you will suffer some hearing loss long term, especially if you shoot under cover or indoors. 

Indoors and covered spaces I turn off the electronic earmuff

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 10:37 AM, VU2AKILL said:

Maybe I am getting deaf, but I just wear custom molded in ear protection with my open gun and don’t notice it - EXCEPT when I am indoors. Then I double up.

• 4 months later...

I have custom made plugs and they work fine so far as the ringing. when shooting i generally wear them and my pro ears just to reduce that much more,  it helps with my flinching.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:24 PM, RJH said:

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a sport where people used there ACTUAL carry gear.  I have done it a time or two in USPSA and wish there was a place to do it against other people using their actual carry gear.  Maybe not even a whole sport, maybe just a match or 2 that was  carry gear oriented

On 10/29/2020 at 11:26 AM, ltdmstr said:

I regret it.  50 years old and I am wearing hearing aids with significant hearing loss in the upper ranges and constant ringing.  Now its plugs with muffs over the top.