Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burst fire with Ruger PCC & VQ trigger

Ok, here are the measurements I've got on my stock, MCarbo, and Tandemkross recoil buffers.  Both the MCarbo and Tandemkross rubber buffers have some variation in their thickness, I'm guessing due to slight variation in their rubber molding process.  The hard vinyl stock Ruger recoil buffer appears to be uniform in thickness...

MCarbo "Shock Buffer" thickness:            0.318 to 0.324 inches

Tandemkross "Shock Block" thickness:    0.304 to 0.310 inches

Ruger stock recoil buffer:                           0.244 inches

So, the Ruger recoil buffer is definitely thinner than either of the other two buffers.  Interestingly, I also found this statement on the Volquartsen website page for their discontinued Target Hammer...

"This part is not compatible with aftermarket recoil buffers"

Target Hammer for Ruger PC Carbine | Volquartsen Firearms

That statement does not appear in the listing for the Volquartsen Ruger PC Carbine Target Hammer on eBay.  But I still would have bought it to experiment with...

Volquartsen Target Hammer Kit Ruger PC Carbine Charger Takedown VF9TH 810162019518 | eBay

So, the one change I'm going to make is to reinstall the Ruger stock recoil buffer allowing for the slightly longer bolt travel to see if that will eliminate the burst fire/trigger reset problem with the hot Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ RA9TA.  Will report back in a week or two after I get down to the range to try out the new configuration.

P.S.  I also have one more variable in the equation.  In anticipation of the hot Winchester Ranger ammo, I'm also running the Tandemkross 20% added power recoil spring.  I'm going to leave it in for now. 

• 9 months later...

I had the "burst" issue at the Canadian Steel Challenge Nats a couple of years ago and at first, I thought I had short loaded a mag.  It was like one, two then empty.  The RO didn't pick up what had really happened it went so fast.  Then again, and this time I know something wasn't right, I look at the RO, they shrug and then the RM (very experienced), who happened to be on the range and saw it and then came over and verified what just happened.  I haven't shot many full auto guns, but when I have, it was decreeable.  With this, it was just like one shot.  So a testament to just how well these things are built and cycle.   

As for resolving the issue.  VQ was awesome, being in Canada its a real PIA to get anything shipped and after some back and forth they sent me a new group which has thus far run flawlessly.  Very happy with how they handled the situation because they could have just said "well your in Canada and we don't know for sure how you installed it and what ammo you were using so too bad", but they didn't.  

As for the why.  Some interesting theories here that I appreciate and will test.  

Thanks!

I suddenly had extraction issues (at a match no less) so since I was replacing the extractor why not change the buffer with the Mcarbo one?

My PCC then became a nose diving drive the rounds into the barrel POS.  Tried round nose factory, nope.  Then I read this thread and removed the “improved” buffer.  And my rifle works.  Yay!