Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on Tanfo mags

abigger04

I'm noticing that my brand new Tanfoglio mags have a very strong magazine spring.  With a 9 lb recoil spring in my Stock II they noticeably slow down the slide from closing into battery.  Do people normally cut a coil or two off of the stock magazine spring to run them with a lighter recoil spring?

Don't cut the magazine spring. You can up to a 10 lb spring if you think it's sluggish. Make sure slide rails and frame rails are smooth/polished/lapped. Make sure rib in center of slide that makes contact with ammo is polished and edge at breech face is chamfered. Make sure hammer face is polished.

The edge at the breech face is the most important thing for smooth feeding.

After extended use, the mag springs are often too week.

With the polishing and rounding of the edge of the breech face - I can run a 6 pound recoil spring all day with stock magazine springs.  Even with an extra power extractor spring.

The polishing of the hammer face will mostly cause the slide to unlock faster - I don’t necessarily recommend taking that extra step , even though I understand that it can have a tiny impact on the closing of the slide when it’s half back or further.

• 2 weeks later...

I had feeding problems with the original Tanfoglio mags, made by ACT-mag, with hollow points. I swapped to Mec-gar and have had no problems since. I regard Mec-gar as very high quality mags. They have not had the same wear as the ACT-mags at the hole for the mag release either.